How is Le Marais area for families?

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is Le Marais area for families?

Looking into an apt in Le Marais area. Is it a safe area? Where is it in relation to the museums and other sites of Paris? Would we need to use the RER or metro to get around? I'm having a hard time finding out where each district is and what it has to offer. Thanks so much.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 12:28 AM

The Marais is bordered by the Beaubourg museum on the west, Place des Voges on the east. Place de la Republic on the north and the Seine on the south. That's approximate as there arent any exact boundries.

Yes it is safe and it is near some sites. It is very central. You can walk to some sites and would need public transportation for others.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:03 AM

Le Marais is a convenient and safe location. Sure, you may have to take the metro a few times, but Paris is an eminently walkable city!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:43 AM

It's an excellent location! We stayed near the Place St-Catherine and felt very safe, even walking late at night. There are several Metro stops in the area but you can walk to many major sites from the Marais (or 4th arrondissement). There are also many casual bistros here (as there are throughout Paris) were you can feed your family without breaking your budget.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:02 AM

..all the above comments are correct BUT, how old are your children? I think this is a great area for 16 plus,but if I had younger kids with me I would consider other areas- ex 6th near the 7th or the 7th esp if little ones.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:54 AM

we are taking our 9 y.o. daughter to paris in a few weeks (!!!), and are renting an apt. in the marais. my husband and i stayed in a nearby hotel last year, so are somewhat familiar with the area.

it is very convenient to a number of subway and bus lines (we prefer the bus). we chose an apt. near the place des vosges so as to have a local park, which also has a small playground. i also felt that the small, village-y atmosphere of the marais would be less daunting for a child. easily walkable, with lots to see and do - and eat!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:25 AM

..yes it has a "village atmosphere" and yes there is a very small childrens area in place des voges (I think a sand box and swing if I remember correctly..my kids have been out of the sandbox for a number or years) but it is not an area that many families with small children choose to live..if you want your kids to see others choose an other area. The first time I stayed in this area (not as a tourist) was over 20 years ago. It was a bit edgey, great place for new designers and artists (has become too expensive for this now), p de v really mostly locals, and I remember having trouble finding a place nearby to run out to pick up food one am when I really wanted an americn breakfast (had to make my way over to St. Antoine). Now the tour buses circle p de v and the young 20 somethings are not artists but kids whose parents are supporting them in fine style..still a great area but never was and still isnt an area that most choose to raise a young family.