Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   HOW IS DELTA ON INT'L FLIGHTS? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-is-delta-on-intl-flights-309992/)

davidmax22 Apr 23rd, 2003 12:51 PM

HOW IS DELTA ON INT'L FLIGHTS?

I am suppoed to be flying Delta to Europe soon. How is it? Normally I fly Continental which I've been very pleased with, but I was wondering what people thought of Delta.

Lesli Apr 23rd, 2003 12:55 PM

I flew Delta into Rome and out of Venice on my last trip to Italy. No complaints really, but in coach, I don't see much difference between carriers (except for AA, which has a bit more leg room.)

We left and arrived on time, including connections. They did not lose my luggage. That's about the best you can hope for, isn't it?

kismetchimera Apr 23rd, 2003 01:16 PM

If you like Continental, you are going to have a rude awakening with Delta...Worse airline...The coach is like a cattle room.. 5 seat in the middle....Bonne Chance....

elaine Apr 23rd, 2003 01:21 PM

coach is cramped, very cramped for leg and head room, but that's pretty much my experience on U.S. airlines
in all ways I can think of, no better or worse than other domestic airlines

julies Apr 23rd, 2003 02:49 PM

We've flown Delta, Continental, Northwest and I don't really see much difference in any of them. Sardine class is sardine class.

jody Apr 23rd, 2003 03:13 PM

Have to agree with all of the above..flown delta, American, BA, and Virgin many many times...and always in cattle class...all just about the same! Now though the extra leg room in American and on some BA flights makes me choose them over others...unless I have FF miles and then I'll go anyway , anytime!

I do wonder what anyone expects out of tourist,cattle car,back of the bus class?

JJ127 Apr 23rd, 2003 07:53 PM

I've flown TWA, BA, American, KLM, United, US Airways, Continental, and Delta on international flights and Delta is the only one I have vowed never to use again. Talk about the "flight from Hell"...

red63corvette Apr 23rd, 2003 07:56 PM

What about British Midland (BMI) Airbus 330? I'm in cattle coach Chicago to Manchester (then a hop up to Edinburgh on an Embraer jet).

~ Sheryl

uncle_sam Apr 23rd, 2003 09:30 PM

To each his own...I've got 1,400,000 miles on Delta. they must have done something right to earn my business!

US

Queenie Apr 23rd, 2003 10:33 PM

Flew Delta Zurich-Atlanta in December.

We got breakfast at takeoff (11 a.m.), then we were served no food until 9 hours later (11 hour flight). As it was an all day flight, I was ready to pass out!

I think this is now common practice for most American carriers. Don't fly without a food stash.

GSteed Apr 23rd, 2003 10:35 PM

How more comfortable is a 100 pound passenger than one more than 200 pounds? Seating is still the same, passengers have simply outgrown it. Airlines are presently in a classic "catch 22" situation. They need to increase fares to cover costs and make a profit. If they do this they will lose business. Now about Delta, they sent me a $100 travel voucher as compensation for having to change planes. I have been upgraded on two Atlantic flights due to seating problems. My only concern now with Delta is that they have closed their ticket office in Warsaw, Poland. And it is not possible to buy tickets on the internet from Poland.

JJ127 Apr 24th, 2003 06:07 AM

In reply to GSteed - I am not overweight at all. One of my complaints was that my knees had bruises for 2 weeks after my trip on Delta - even after using the pillow to cushion them. In addition to that, they had the rudest flight attendants I had ever encountered. I made no special requests except to ask for water once - they were just rude.

Those same flight attendants did nothing to secure their personal luggage and if there had been any turbulance, someone could have gotten hurt.

With other choices available, Delta won't ever be my airline in the future. I am glad to see that others have fared better with them.

CharlieB Apr 24th, 2003 07:32 AM

david - Message: - I don't think this is the best site to evaluate airlines. I suggest you try "airlineguality.com" where thousands of travelers participate in ranking airlines- not just the dozen or so who might respond on this thread. "I flew XAir once and it was great" or "I flew XAir once and it was awful" means nothing. Being 6'4" my most important consideration is the distance between rows. Delta allows 32 inches, and most European carriers allow only 31 inches whereas American Airlines allows 33-35 depending on the flight. Those 1-3 inches can make a great deal of difference! Other than that- service, reliability, safety and food are pretty much equal among the major transatlantic carriers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jspowell Apr 24th, 2003 07:41 AM

You will also find MANY opinions about the various airlines on the FlyerTalk message boards, www.flyertalk.com, although it seems that many or most of the flyertalk participants are flying on frequent flyer upgrades in first or business class.

Greeves Apr 24th, 2003 07:50 AM

Delta coach to Eurpoe is in my "never again file"!

A friend who works for the airlines told me after the trip that we should have taken Air France to Paris and made a switch to fly into Rome. We could have used our buddy passes.

The flight was completely booked and this was in Dec. 02!

I slept none the entire trip.

BeachBoi Apr 24th, 2003 08:28 AM

Delta would not be my choice for any international travel.94% of their revenue comes from domestic service.They seem to be fine with that.So its like having an "international product" but not doing anything to enhance it.I am only guessing,but the next and final round of reduction in staff(4,000) comes in May.They might very well be cutting back on the international sector.Only a guess.

Kendra Apr 24th, 2003 08:28 AM

Coach on Delta international flights is awful, however, business elite is sublime!

RufusTFirefly Apr 24th, 2003 09:04 AM

If I had decided that I'd again never fly a particular airline after a bad flight experience, after 45 years of travel there would be no airline left for me to fly now. As far as I can tell, in terms of herd class comfort, there's not a dime's worth of difference between any of the airlines. In terms of service, I've had lousy flights and great flights on every airline that I've flown at one time or another.

suze Apr 24th, 2003 10:00 AM

davidmax... Do you already have the Delta ticket? If so, I'd skip reading these posts and hope for the best!!

Just be sure to reserve a seat in advance to avoid being that middle person in a row. And definitely pack some food & water of your own.

bumper Apr 24th, 2003 03:40 PM

Last year we flew to Paris on Air France and back on Delta (due to an Air France pilots' strike). I actually preferred the Delta fight because they had the monitors in the seat backs. That just seemed to make the flight go a lot faster. I thought the food was good and the flight attendants friendly, so I have no complaints.