Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How in Central Station Do We Determine Where Our Boat Is Docked?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8:00 AM Sunday May 24 we arrived at Amsterdam's airport and will take the train to Central Station ("CS") to catch our boat for a 7 night cruise up the Rhine to Basel. Our travel agent says all boats are assigned a dock each morning by the dock master so it is not possible in advance to know where our boat will be. We've been told when we arrive at CS just telephone a certain number and we'll be told where our boat is located. Instead of phoning I would think CS would have an Information Desk or Kiosk where are boat travelers could walk up to and get directions and other assistance to cruise boats. IS THERE AN INFORMATION DESK AT CS TO LOCATE CRUISE BOATS DOCKED AROUND THE HARBOR?
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM

Just outside Centraal Station is a very helpful office of the VVV, the tourist bureau. I would check there first. They have saved my life more than once.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM

Calling the telphone number you were provided is the best way to find out where you cruise boat is docked I have no doubt that representatives of the cruise line will be about either at the airport or at the Central Station (Holding a big card up) looking for you but still.................Not sure how much you have travelled but have the feeling you will not enjoy this trip.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM

A couple of things about Amsterdam. Schipol Airport is super easy to navigate. Almost every person in the Netherlands speaks English. Your boat is almost certainly going to be docked behind the Central Station and it will be easy to spot from a taxi if the phone number fails for some reason. Though you could easily walk; if you've just arrived and have luggage, I suggest a taxi. Tell him what you're looking for and he or she will be able to help you. I took a river cruise last year from Amsterdam to Basel on a Globus boat (The Mozart?) and enjoyed it very much. And although we could spot the boat from our hotel room at the Movenpick, we were told to meet at a hotel in the central part of the city where we were bused to the boat. The boats dock on the Amstel and the Amstel is behind Central Station. Enjoy!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

JOHNGFL1: I am interested why you feel we will NOT enjoy our 7 night cruise from Amesterdam to Basel in late May on the Amadeus Symphony? We have traveled to Europe 9 times previously either by tour groups, a 5 night Danube River Christmas cruise, and also by rental cars to Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, France, England and Ireland. We've never traveled by large cruise ship so we know not to compare a 140 passenger river boat to the 24 hour entertainment provided on a 5,000 passenger liner. Why will not enjoy Amsterdam to Basel? TWOTRAVELERS
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM

Well, to answer your question, and I hope not too offensively, you come on as a bit hysterical.

Why would you not do what the cruise people say and make the telephone call? Why would you seek an alternative before trying the recommendation? Every large station in Europe has an information desk if the cruise line's procedure doesn't work.

Thus your question is not what one expects from experienced travelers, who have generally coped with a great deal of uncertainty (missed connections, no one at the apartment with the key, broken ATM's and on and on). Thus Johngfl seems not unjustified in his assumption that the stress of travel might not lead you to a happy experience.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
J62

I understand what ackislander is saying and concur that's what johngfl likely meant.

I've traveled WITH people who had high stress levels many times. They may indeed being enjoying their trip but they can also drive those around them (me) batty.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM

Relax. Follow instructions. Go with the flow. Have a great time. You are about to take one of the best river cruises in Europe. You will be well cared for. Relax.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM

Dear TwoTravelers: Your name in real life wouldn't be Hyacinth Bucket, would it?
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM

That's Bouquet! (I love Keeping Up Appearances, I couldn't help myself.)

I think you should take everyone's advice and just call the number when you arrive. It sounds like the easiest solution to me.

Have a good time on your cruise and as USNR said, relax!

VC