Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How has poor economy in Southern Europe impacted travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing from travellers on this forum if they've noticed a significant difference in their travels to Spain, Greece and elsewhere from before and after the economic crisis. Have prices gone down, are restaurants, hotels etc less busy, are more people trying to rent out their houses etc.?
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM

The pickpockets may be more active - my old man had a handkerchief stolen from his back pocket TWICE! Thus, the pickers got what they deserved - a rag with octogenarian bogeys.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say pulling a rag filled with bogeys as you call them from anyone's pocket was doing them a favor.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi robincal,

we spent a few days in Spain [Valencia] in May and prices did seem to be lower but not substantially so in hotels etc. however food prices were down - you could get a good 3 course lunch for about €10 and we saw 4 kgs of tomatoes on sale for €1 in a market - and transport is cheap.

it is said that Greece is full of germans enjoying the low prices, which seems fair enough to me given the amount of money they have ploughed in to keep it going.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 09:33 AM

Having read a question of yours here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...avel-costs.cfm
I have to ask are you in college studying rather than travelling?
This question of yours:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...each-place.cfm
You say you will not be coming to Europe for another 5 years. Maybe ask this sort of question say 6 months before you travel. It will give you a better idea if you can afford to "do Europe" then
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

No, not in college anymore, actually in my late 40's. Because of family commitments I don't foresee the possibility of a long trip to Europe for another five years or so, and I don't want to take a short trip. I'm just interested in hearing about people's experiences in general without a specific trip in mind right now of course, but love all the trip reports and insights on this forum.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 01:38 PM

Spain is kind of funny. At first sight, the ticket price hasn't come down much for accommodation, meals, tours etc, but discount will be available if you haggle. Same with real estate. Local sellers haven't lowered the sale price of their property, but they will be open to offers. So they may accept a figure substantially less but only if you ask. Many hotels which were full in peak season now have vacancies, with whole floors closed etc.