Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How hard is it to get out of Bologna with car rental?
Notices

How hard is it to get out of Bologna with car rental?

Jan 30th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

How hard is it to get out of Bologna with car rental?

I'm thinking of overnighting in and picking up our rental in Bologna before heading to Spello. Checking with AutoEurope it looks as if the rental office is on Via Marco Polo which doesn't appear to be too far from A14.

Has anyone picked up a rental at this location?

Thank you.
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM

I picked one up at the train station, not that location, and it wasn't difficult to get out of town. You probably already realize that most of the hotels in Bologna are in the historic center, where it is really worthwhile to stay, and you would probably want a taxi from your hotel to the rental office. They are easily found in Bologna or can be called by your hotel. If you want to stay in the NH hotel right near the train station, it's not a bad location, and about a 20 minute walk to the center of town.

What CAN be difficult leaving Bologna in a car is traffic jams on the Tagenziale (the ring road you'll need to take to get to the A14. If you are not leaving on a Saturday morning, it probably won't be bad.

Were it me, I might take the train from Bologna to Arezzo (2 hours) and pick up a car there. Or you can switch in Arezzo and be in Foligno in 4 hours, where there is another car rental office. There is nothing particularly thrilling about driving that route.

If you can easily get to Arezzo instead of Bologna to overnight, might be very nice way to do it if you'd like to see Arezzo. But Bologna is quite interesting too for a night.
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM

One last thought:

I don't know where you are coming from, but Bologna has a luggage deposit room. You can come to Bologna for lunch and get back on the train for the short ride to Arezzo.
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM

We drove our rental car from Bologna to Florence in September. It was not difficult to get out of Bologna. However it was terrible to drive in Florence. Small one way streets with throngs of people! We dropped the car off as soon as we arrived in Florence.

Search this Thread