Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far out to book flight- traveling from WAS to PARIS in June 2013? Is $1500RT a good fare?

Search

How far out to book flight- traveling from WAS to PARIS in June 2013? Is $1500RT a good fare?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now, the cheapest direct flight I am finding is about $1500 or so. I havent been to Europe since 2004, so I thought I would check with you experts to see if this was the new normal or if this is very high. It seems high to me, but we want direct flights and it is June....We would be travelling from Washington Dulles and our vacation would be June 19-June 24.

Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM

ANY possible window of a lower fare is long gone. Even in the "good old days" of fare sales, now would be too late.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

I know. I realize this is last minute on our part. Should we just go ahead and book it then? How does this fare compare to "good priced" airfare if we done better planning. June is high season...
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 06:56 AM

I also fly out of Dulles, every year in late May. That is what I am paying this year.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Yorkshire. I think we might push our vaca to Paris back into end of Aug. I just checked and the fares are at $1300 RT/Direct. That would save us nearly $500. We are planning around our preschool schedule. Because we wanted to go alone w/o the kids.

All in all, I think August is going to be better for us and cheaper. Hoping it wont be so hot!
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM

Well I don't agree that it is necessarily "too late" - some years better fares have shown up 6 to 8 weeks out. Let me add that I am looking for flights in Oct. Atl - FCO and they are showing up at $1350 - shoulder season!!! I think there is an element of these fares being the "new normal". Depressing.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:24 AM

FYI, the Dulles airport code is IAD. "WAS" is for all airports in the DC area and Reagan doesn't have international flights.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Yes, fares seem to be uncomfortably high and going higher, in part because of the spike in gasoline prices. With the trend toward fewer flights and more mergers among airlines, it's going to get worse. Someday, flying to Europe may be the sole province of the 1%.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:50 AM

One bonus is you may save money on hotels, some hotels offer "L'ete Promotions" ( summer sale prices) for stay in August, I have taken advantage of them several times. What hotel are you looking at, what budget? August is low season for business travel to Paris so room vacancies go up a bit and hotels sometimes lower rates for those times. Rates are highest in June , begining of July and September usaully.

I have gone quite a few times in August( and have also been in other months may-oct) and find Paris just as busy June- September, so other then heat issue there aren't that many disadvantages to August.. A few places may be closed ( small shops or restaurants, but no tourist sites close and all in all very little affects a tourist visiting). I have encountered heat in August so always book a hotel with a/c, but I have also spend 9 days there in August and had it rainy and cool for 7 of those days and had to go buy another long sleeved top as I only packed one or two) .

Another bonus to August is the Paris Plage.. its a fake beach set up on Seine from mid july to mid august roughly, I don't go in the day( why would I ) but in the evening we enjoyed strolling the "beach" strip along the Seine, having an adult beverage( sold at concessions along the side) and people watching and enjoying the street musicans, many locals bring picnics and just enjoy a hot evening outdoors.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:09 AM

The game has changed, including the impact of "too late" or "early on". I am planning trips 10 months to a year in advanced and the prices REMAIN as high, regardless of how far in advance/how late I am checking. Gone are the days of shoulder season travel from Northeast USA for $400-$600...sigh!

I just paid $200/more for the same route/same time trip as last year's. I tried to hang on, but the threat of fewer flights made me pulled the trigger.

tsaluja-- If you leave on 6/5 you pay $300 LESS than if you leave on 6/6. Even for weekend travel (Thurs vs. Fri) this is crazy, isn't it???
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

yes, it is crazy! I am having a reality check here...but c'est la vie..LOL no pun intended. we really need a "parents getaway" from the girls and we shall book- we are have decided late August for sure and from all your responses, looks like we may even get a break on hotel. im excited. yes, an arm and leg, but it will be worth it....