Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how far is Stansted Airport from.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-far-is-stansted-airport-from-224311/)

mark May 23rd, 2002 10:41 AM

how far is Stansted Airport from....

Heathrow and Gatwick? From which is it easier / quicker to get to Stansted?

Sheila May 23rd, 2002 10:57 AM

Distance I don't have at my fingertips, but the second answer is Heathrow without a shadow of a doubt

mark May 23rd, 2002 11:33 AM

Thanks Sheila. Any ideas on how long a taxi ride would be?

mpprh May 23rd, 2002 12:02 PM

Hi<BR><BR>Unless there are 4 of you, or you are in a big hurry, better to take a bus, or work out the rail connections via London.<BR><BR>Heathrow is a pig of a route. There are no easy or direct routes ............ I do it twice every few weeks by car.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>

mark May 23rd, 2002 12:12 PM

There looks to be about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour overlay between flights. So getting to and from Heathrow and Stansted won't be a nail biter - if there's rails I'd rather do it that way (can't stand sitting in traffic). I haven't purchased the tickets yet. Thanks.

mpprh May 23rd, 2002 01:17 PM

Hi<BR><BR>it could be a close run thing.<BR><BR>Needs research !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

MillyMollyMandy May 23rd, 2002 11:43 PM

You could take the Tube from Heathrow to Liverpool Street station and then the Stanstead Express from there. Stanstead Express should take about an hour to get to the airport. However think you'd be very tight from time with only 2.5-3 hours in between flights.

Keith May 24th, 2002 12:18 AM

2.5 - 3hrs - does that include getting through Customs & Immigration? If so, you might just make it. You need to look at speed rather than cost really, so I'd suggest the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then the tube to Liverpool Street and train to Stansted. <BR><BR>That said, I'd still say this was cutting it very fine! What will also count is the time of day you are arriving. If it's peak times then I'd definately avoid the roads.

Doug Weller May 24th, 2002 11:02 AM

There's no way you can make that. Sorry, but getting through immigration/customs, getting into London and out of it, and checking in on time, not possible IMHO. Just getting into London, across London to the Stansted Express, and to Stansted might take you most of your time.<BR><BR>Doug<BR><BR>Doug

mark May 24th, 2002 11:12 AM

thanks for the replies - still haven't bought the tickets yet

nancy May 25th, 2002 06:37 PM

Just returned. There is a bus service which connects Gatwick,Heathrow and Stansted. It is called Jetlink, and you can find it all on the web. We went from Stansted to Heathrow and it took 1 1/2 hours, buses are every 1/2 hour , I think. The bus is comfortable, and goes directly from each terminal, no sweat!

Doug Weller May 25th, 2002 10:28 PM

Or 2 hours from Gatwick. Double this for problems on the M25, etc, the possibility of just missing one. Then add time for the aircraft being late. Customs and Immigration, and the time you need to be at Stansted also need to be added in.<BR><BR>I still think you are looking at a minimum of about 6 hours to be safe, and that is assuming you don't have to be at Stansted until an hour before your flight.<BR><BR>Doug