Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona: Savings and things that are for free

Old Jun 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with a now more favorable exchange rate for the many overseas visitors that seem to visit Barcelona this year, I was wondering if some people would be willing to share their experiences on how to save a few euros here and there. I know that some travellers enjoy to splurge while on vacation so don't take this as an advice to spoil your fun
Every tip was correct as of June 2010, but if you see some errors, please add a remark.

<b>Getting from/to airport to the city</b>

It's probably almost common knowledge now that the trains and the 10-ride-ticket (T-10) for €7.85 is the cheapest way to get to central Barcelona. But since the new Terminal 1 has opened, it has become a bit more complicated to reach the train station (which is connected only to T2 by a walkway). There are free shuttle buses between T1 and T2, but also one free shuttle from T1 directly to the station (so you don't have to use the long walkway). To make things a little bit more challenging, this shuttle bus to the station (you'll see "RENFE T1 T2" in the display) will depart from departure level (curbside) only, and not - like the other shuttles - from arrivals level (curbside). So you need to go up to level 3 (departures), leave the airport building, turn right, walk for appr. 50 meters until you find the bus stop.

<b>Museums & Sightseeing</b>

If you plan to visit certain museums, check their websites for info on days of free entrance. I was lucky to be there on the first sunday of a month, which gave me free access to the MUHBA and Cosmo Caixa.
The <b>MUHBA</b> on Placa Reial is one location of the Historical Museum of Barcelona. You get to walk on the Roman foundations of the city and see the medieval remains.
The <b>Cosmo Caixa</b> is also a good backup for affordable day trips (even regular entrance is modest) with kids, especially on rainy days. It's a big "hands-on" science museum with an semi real/semi artificial rain forest attached. It's fairy easy to reach from Pl Catalunya with L7 FGC trains to Av. Tibidabo, and from there 3 stops with the 196 bus (leaves 50 meters uphill from where the famous blue tram leaves) which will drop you off right at the museum's entrance.
At both venues, the major plus for foreign visitors should be that all exhibits are explained 100% also in English (the CosmoCaixa's website is not, though).
http://www.bcn.cat/museuhistoriaciut...a_del_rei.html
http://obrasocial.lacaixa.es/nuestro...celona_ca.html

Not only in Barcelona, where only the Miró museum participates, but in many cities in Spain you will get a discount on museum entrance fees if you travel by AVE long-distance trains. You don't have to visit the museum on your exact day of travel, but have 7 days before and after to use the discount.
http://www.renfe.es/oferta_arte/index.html

<b>Beaches</b>

On the Barceloneta boardwalk, you will find many open air beach bars (Xiringuitos) with a great view on the sea. If you are free to choose the day, you should try to avoid the weekends. Not only will the beach be very crowded then, but also the Xiringuitos will double their prices. The least costly alternative to get a cold drink would be the several minimarkets at the tip of Barceloneta, just 1-2 minutes walk from the sea.

<b>Hiking</b>

Probably not the most obvious thing to do while in Barcelona, but there is a very nice (and flat) scenic hike with great views over Barcelona, along the <b>Carretera de les Aigües</b>. To get there you take any S1 or S2 FGC train from Pl Catalunya to station Peu del Funicular. Then change to the Vallvidrera cable car, and exit at next stop which is named after the road you will hike on: Carretera de les Aigües. Follow the unpaved road (no car traffic, just bikers and hikers) till you get to the Tibidabo cable car (the station at the bottom of the hill). Take the historic blue tram to Pl Tibidabo (not included in T-10 ticket), or walk downhill along many impressive or bizarre modernisme mansion to catch the 196 bus.
Caveat: This was a recommendation of a friend, so I "publish" it without personal experience (yet).

The first leg of the above trip would also be the only way to avoid the expensive blue tram and cable car to the top of <b>Tibidabo</b>. Just stay in the Vallvidrera cable car until you reached the final stop, and take 111 bus to Tibidabo.

Both trips can be done with one validation of the T-10 ticket, i.e. for 78.5 cents, if your travel time remains under 1hr 15min. If not, another trip will be deducted from your T-10 ticket automatically when you validate it. You need to validate your ticket each and every time you change from bus to metro to cable car, unless in most metro stations where you can change between lines without having to pass another turnstile entrance.
For all travels with buses and cable cars, I would suggest to check the timetables first at www.tmb.cat before you start your journey as some of the less important bus lines do not go that frequently as in the city center.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM

I would add taking in the music and light show at Font Majica. The schedule varies depending on time of year.

www.barcelonaturisme.com and click on Attractions and Leisure.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

good point, thanks for adding
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 12:22 AM

MMM you should have made this a trip report....I think a lot will find this information useful.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 12:53 AM

Park Güell is free. So is the Cathedral if you wait after 5 pm. Many museums are free the first Sunday of the month and between 4 and 6 pm on Sundays.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
yk

The Picasso museum is free Sunday afternoons after 3pm.

MNAC admission is good for 2 consecutive days.

Articket BCN is a good deal if you go to 3 or more museums:
http://www.articketbcn.org/en/

If one is a huge fan of <i>Modernisme</i>, the <u>Ruta del Modernisme</u> guide book is an EXCELLENT investment. http://www.rutadelmodernisme.com/default.aspx?Idioma=en

The guidebook is great (12 euro), and it comes with a voucher booklet which offers various discounts to all the modernisme sites.

The following was what I wrote about the guidebook & voucher booklet after my trip:

<i>yk on Nov 29, 09 at 10:52am
I'm back from my trip and here to give a brief update. The Ruta del Modernisme guidebook is a great buy- €12 which comes with a voucher booklet with many discount vouchers for numerous Modernisme sites (including Casa Battlo, Casa Mila, Sagrada Familia, MNAC, guided tour for Palau de la Musica Catalana.... and many more). Between my travel companion and me, we saved over €16 in admissions using the vouchers.

The book is great, with fairly detailed description + color photos for the 115 sights. I highly recommend this for anyone who's interested in Modernisme.

You can purchase the guidebook at the tourist office in the basement of Placa Catalunya, at window #1. It opens at 10am. Additional voucher booklets can be purchased for €5.</i>
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

ribeirasacra..
I am so bad at writing reports in a manner that does not bore readers to death. And since I started to go to Barcelona 3-4 times a year, the items I mentioned above are not part of one consistent trip but more a summary of what I noticed this March and last week.
I have no real info on restaurants or tapas bars to offer because I often just stop at places that are quite okay, but probably will not make a lasting impression on others. Other Fodorites are simply much better at this and have more valuable information to share.
I usually just stroll around, sit in cafes or walk along the waterfront, browse through the quirky small stores in the Barri Gotic or Raval, and go to maybe just one or two museums, mostly history, architecture, or photography. I haven't even been to the Picasso or Miró, I have to admit in shame.

Thanks for the additions to pvoyageuse and yk.
I should have know that about the Picasso museum last Sunday when there was a bit drizzle in the city.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 02:31 AM

I have discovered a webpage with all free events in Barcelona: www.forfree.cat. Check it out, it 's very useful if you are planning a trip to the city. It is also in English!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 03:20 AM

I would only add that despite what some have repeatedly said about Las Ramblas there is a lot IMO to be said for just walking along it if for no other reason than the so-called "living ststues" there as well as those found closer to the cathedral.

I'm with you...there are still several of the so-called "must see" places I have yet to go to in Barcelona and I too simply enjoy being IN the city and experiencing its many different aspects. The opera house alone is worth a trip sometimes depending on what's on...a wonderful city and thank you for posting this thread.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

annaprin.. Thanks a lot!! I've never seen that website before.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Who needs a guide book after this! Just what I needed - Thanks, guys!

Mia
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:37 AM

thanks Cowboy.. we are already planning our fifth trip to Barcelona in the spring .
Like Dukey, I just love being IN the city... (some residential areas outside the tourist center are beautiful).
We always say..." must take a few day trips...", but seldom do.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM

Thanks from me too. Very useful thread that gave and encouraged loads of great info. Hoping to get to Barcelona either next summer or the one after. Bookmarking this thread. Thanks again for posting.