Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far is it from Santa Margherita, Ligure to Monaco?

Mar 27th, 2001, 08:29 PM
julie

Help! We are staying in Santa Margherita for 6 days. Is it far to go to France from there and how should we travel? Train? Bus? What are the "must see" sights along the way? Is it a worthwhile day trip? We want to relax in Santa Margherita, but i think we'll need a fun diversion - 6 days there could get long! We are 2 mothers and 4 teenage girls traveling 2nd week of August.
Thank you! Any advice very much appreciated!

Mar 28th, 2001, 02:36 AM
Tony

Santa Margherita to Monaco by train is about three to four hours ech way, depending on connections, usually needing to change at Genoa and possibly Ventimiglia. Therefore too far for a day trip.
Why not simply visit Genoa for a day, an important and historical city (Christopher Columbus) - less than an hour by regular train service, and a definite change of pace from the Ligure coast.
Florence is just possible for a day,if you pick the quickest trains, and Pisa is not far away.

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Monaco's too far by car or train for a day trip (and the roads will be packed in August).

Take the short bus to Portofino and a bus or train to the Cinque Terre instead.

Mar 28th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Jeanette

Genoa was interesting but if you do that choice, please skip the aquarium. We are animal, fish, and zoo people and no one in our entire group thought it was a good choice. There is an immense amount of heavy reconstruction and original construction going on there right now for a BIG 8 conference that is supposed to be held in June. To us, it looked like they could never be near done if it was a year from June. There is lots to see and I love the one statue of Columbus with the lady AMERICA by his side. Big city shopping and big city choices on everything.

If it was up to me and I am an art lover- I would make it a real long day to Florence. Depending on your interests it may be more fun to follow Brian's advice and just spend more time in the Cinque Terre. We also had a great time exploring the old fort/ castle at Portovenere. Your trip may be entirely different from mine as August may make any of these distances take much, much longer. Also you will have many more tourists competing for your bus, train spaces. I would wonder if all the service people, bars etc. will be operating during holiday! I don't know. I do know that I would avoid La Spezia (I'm not sure of the spelling.)