Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the Viaduc des Artistes in Paris?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Susan

Where is the Viaduc des Artistes in Paris? Which Arrondissement? What is the closest metro to it?
Thanks,
Susan

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:32 AM
kmarie

I understand it's along avenue Daumesnil in the 12e. Haven't been there yet but it's on my list for my visit later this month!

Here's a link provided in an earlier post--

//archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=parisart18&date=20010318&query=pucci+paris

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Ursula

Susan: The answer above is correct and it's either Bastille or Gare de Lyon metro stop.
There is even have a web page with a very good access map at:
www.viaduc-des-arts.com
with an English link!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:41 AM
elaine

Hi for more info
www.viaduc-des-arts.com
metro stop is Bastille

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Randall Smith

The Viaduc is formerly a rail line which came into Paris and has been paved over making it a walkway. It has also been nicely decorated with planters. It is a great place to walk or jog, and offers unusual views of Paris. The veiw of the Gare de Lyon is nice as well as many of the buildings there in the 12th. It is at a level of the deuxi?me ?tage of the surrounding buildings. No roller bladers or bicycles, just folks walking there children etc. It is closed after dark.

Bonne Chance,

RJS

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:48 AM
kmarie

Oops! The site I listed should begin http:

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Patrick

Yes, check out the above website, I guess that is the one I looked at before we went. We started above the Bastille metro stop and started walking fairly early in the morning. We took it to the very end, further than it actually showed on the map at that time (two years ago, I think). We ended up near Porte de st. Mande. We were going to take metro back, but instead walked all the way back to our hotel in the 6th mainly along Daumesnil. We left our hotel at about 8 in the morning and returned about dark. It was a wonderful day.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Patrick

I failed to mention that the closer in part is actually two things. The upper level is the Promenade of plants, but below it are many artists' shops and galleries. I never even knew about this until one day Elvira and I were discussing it. I knew about the hiking part, she knew about the artists' part. Next time I'll have to go back and check out the lower level.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:52 AM
elaine

fyi
The New York Times a while back suggested a long walk that parallels the Canal St Martin and includes the Viaduc des Arts: start at the
Jaures Metro stop at the Place de Stalingrad. After an unattractive start, you find yourself walking along cobble-stoned quays, passing fishermen, boats, and parks. Along Quai Valmy there are many bistros and cafes to have lunch or a snack. On the other side of Rue du Faubourg du Temple, you pick up a wide street of gardens and playgrounds, surrounded by handsome apartment buildings. On Thurs or Sun mornings, there is an outdoor market there. You can stop for lunch or Sunday brunch at Bofinger at 5-7 rue de la Bastille, or at the ViaducCafe, 43 Avenue Daumesnil which has a Sunday jazz brunch all afternoon. Both restaurants are open every day. From the Viaduc des Arts arcade you can climb steps up to the Promenade Plantee park, which runs for almost three miles. For metros back to your place of residence, you can pick one up at either the Michel Bizot or Porte Doree stop (the latter is at the edge of the Bois de Vincennes, another beautiful park.)

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Susan

Thanks to everyone for your great answers. I have looked at six books about Paris and found nothing about Viaduc des Artistes. You are very knowlegeable and helpful people.

Susan