Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far in advance for changing of the guard in March and other questions?

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband wants to see the changing of the guard - even though I've told him that many on this board say it's not worth the time. So we'll be there the middle of March - the ceremony is at 11:30 - when do we need to arrive to be able to see it well???
#2 - how much time should I plan for Westminster Abbey?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:57 AM

I went a few years ago on a cold and windy day in January. I went 20 minutes ahead and found a spot next to the fence in front of the palace. I think in March, you need more time. My guess is 90 minutes but this is strictly a wild guess. One way to gauge go there 60-90 minutes ahead of time and return another day (earlier) if it's too crowded.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:06 PM

a LOT will depend on the weather. If it is a balmy day plan on 90 minutes minimum to get a place with any sort of view. If it is really cold and blustery - 20 or 30 minutes MIGHT be enough.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM

We arrived at Buckingham Palace about half an hour before the ceremony and caught the parade as well. If you don't want to devote too much time to lining up at the fence, you can see pretty well from the statue in front of the gate. It's up high and you can catch the parade as well (if it goes by the same day). In fact people who were at the fence below kept moving around to see what was going on behind them. We didn't think we'd stay for the whole ceremony, but we enjoyed the bagpipes and horses that came by.
Regarding Westminster Abbey - it was closed for a girl scout function the day we went (a Saturday), so be sure to check that out in advance. They said it would also be closed the following day.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:32 PM

I'd skip the changing of the guard personally. It's way overhyped.

I'd allow 3 hours for Westminster if you want to take it all in.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:14 AM

I think we spent about an 45 minutes to an hour in Westminster Abbey, but we went there after seeing St Paul's Cathedral, Salisbury Catherdral, Bath Abbey etc, and we were a little churched out by that point.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:18 AM

The Abbey?
Maybe 1-1.5 hours. Depends on things like
taking the tour (I recommend it, check the schedule in advance) or an audio guide, looking at the Treasury, doing a brass rubbing if you like, etc
You can also attend a service if you like. The Abbey does close for special events, so if it's important to you, don't save it for the last day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:44 AM

I am a big fan of the changing of the guard --have been 3 times. No one does pageantry like the British. Always a treat, especially for the people watching. Please note that the ceremony does NOT happen every day in the winter months, which includes March. Check the schedule and be sure to go on the right day. There is a website for royal events at "royal.gov.uk". I would say arriving 30 minutes before the ceremony is enough. Aim to either be standing at the fence in front of the palace or up on the steps of the fountain. The last time I was there was Easter weekend, and it was packed, but even 60 minutes was enough time to get a good standing position.

The size of the crowd at the Tower of London or the changing of the guard should give you a good idea of how crowded the Abbey will be. March should not be too much of a problem. There is often an evensong performance at about 4 pm on Saturdays which you can attend and listen to the choir. No admission fee or waiting, and you get to go in the front door (like Diana's funeral…) If you are there on a Saturday and can't or don't want to wait in line for the tour, this is a nice option as you can take some time after the service to look around. The abbey is closed during the service. Ask one of the Abbey guards about the service, or check the website mentioned above or the website for the Abbey.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:57 AM

Might I suggest a compromise? The Dismount of the Horse Guards.

The crowd is MUCH smaller. I arrived there just as they were starting (in March last year) and had a great view.

A couple of my pictures are at the bottom of http://mightymac.org/gb25b.htm

Have a great time!

Keith