How far from Shannon to Dublin?

Feb 17th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

How far from Shannon to Dublin?

We are getting ready to book our Honeymoon and we are planning to fly into Shannon and out of Dublin. We don't have much of an itinerary yet but we plan on being there for around 9-10 days. Can anyone tell me how far (in distance and/or hours) from Shannon to Dublin? We want to make sure we are allowing enough time to see everything but not be too rushed. Thanks!
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:14 AM
JP

The simple answer: 136 miles.

However, I'm sure you won't be doing it quite that directly, so use a route planning site to help with your itinerary: http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:28 AM

How do you plan on traveling??
I don't think there is a direct train connection.
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon. You should have a lot of fun in Ireland.

As far as seeing "everything", I'm not sure what you are hoping to see, but you certainly won't see everything in Ireland in 10 days. Though a small country, travel is very slow and there is much to see in a small area.

I would get a couple of good Irish guide books and get an idea of where you want to go. It would be a good plan to set up in a few locations for 2-3 days each and explore from there. Take your time.

www.viamichelin.com is another good mapping site.

Books to consider are:
The Best Little Guide to Ireland - available on Michele Erdwigs www.irelandyes.com site
Michelin Green Guide
Ireland Guide from Bord Failte
There is a Rough Guide and of course Fodors and Frommers.
I'm not a huge fan of the Rick Steves book other than the tour of Dingle that he lays out. It's probably worth it for that feature.

Get some books with pictures for figuring out where to go, but take the books with just information for the trip. Both kinds are helpful.

... and keep asking questions.

Bill
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:32 PM

It's a sure bet that it will take longer than you think it will. I'd allow at least 3X as much time as it would take to drive a comparable distance in the US.

When you decide where you plan to spend the last night, call and ask how much time they would allow for reaching the Dublin airport, and tell them what time and day of the week you'll be needing to get there. The locals should be the best source to tell you how long it will take to reach Dublin, at any rate.
If your flight is before 2 pm, I'd recommend staying the last night very close to the airport, as you'll need to be in the terminal a few hours hours before departure, it takes a while to go through all the bureaucracy, esp. if you'll want VAT refunds.
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:09 AM

kathflan,

If you'd like to spend your final night close to Dublin (which is, of course, practical), yet feel far removed from urban life, consider staying in Laragh, County Wicklow.

Laragh has much going for it beyond its proximity to Dublin (about an hour's drive). It's an ideal base for visits to nearby Glendalough, one of Ireland's most famous monastic sites. In addition, it's home to a distinctive and elegant B & B, Derrybawn House. A late 18th century house, Derrybawn has a wonderful woodland setting, perfect for a couple days and nights before you head up to Dublin and your flight home.

Best of luck.
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Hi there...

Just one comment. Obviously, you will be renting a car...if you are planning on ending up in Dublin for a couple of days, I HIGHLY recommend you ditch the car BEFORE you enter the city (with your car rental, drop it off at the airport and take a taxi into the city). Dublin streets were being torn up and upgraded so lots of streets were closed or one-way. It was awful (and I had been there before).