How early should i book hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling in July 2016 to MADRID, ROME, VENICE, AMALFI COAST/LAKE CAMO AND PARIS. I have a couple of questions

1. What will be a reasonably good time to book hotels for July 2016

2. Many hotels offer cancellation very close to the arrival date, but they do Authorize your Credit card. So, will my credit card be billed immediately once they authorise the card?
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 09:47 PM

I usually try to book a refundable hotel as soon as possible. I think most of the hotels I have booked in Europe have not charged a pre-authorization but you can always check their policies. Some hotel may not be booking this early.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 10:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> . . . but they do Authorize your Credit card.<<

Some do, most don't - UNLESS you book non-refundable discounted rates.. But the websites/booking engines should clearly tell you if your card will be charged ahead of time.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 10:44 PM

I have booked several of my hotels for my trip May 2016 already.. in London, Amsterdam and Paris.. I still have to a few more.. but haven't quite decided where we are going after those places..

I always book REFUNDABLE rates.. I am not interested in saving 20 euros just to be locked in to a non refundable price.

I have never had a hold done on my card.. in fact.. some places don't even ask for your card.. place in London didn't,, neither did place in Amsterdam this time.

I book early because I want great prices and great places,, and the good cheaper places book up early because they are usually smaller places and have good reputations.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 12:45 AM

I should book today for a room in London tonight.
Late ?
Yesterday I thought I was going to Monschau, Germany.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Authorize a credit card means they will do a transaction to check if the card is valid and then reverse it.

Hotels in Spain and Poland do it frequently. Usually, when they ask for three letter code on the back of the card, they will do a test transaction.

Mark
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 04:44 AM

I would book hotels as soon as you have fixed dates and know that they will work with your flights. Agree that the best places at reasonable prices can sell out early, esp since many hotels in europe are small, not the 200 room mega places common in the US.

Unless you are buying a nonrefundable price they will not charge your credit card until you arrive (unless you don;t cancel in time - often 24 or 48 hours).
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 06:04 AM

Ditto on the advice. If you book early, this puts a ceiling on the rate you pay. If rates should go down, you can get your rate revised. If rates go up, you've locked in the lower rate.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Hotel booking really depends on how much you focus in one wanting 1-2 particular hotels, and if they are the most popular ones mentioned in guidebooks.

FOr Paris, July is not as bad as many other times of the year in hotels being full up (I think Fall is the worst). I often go to Paris in July but I have several hotel favorites I return to and they aren't the ones named in guidebooks, but I generally book them around Feb-March. I think sometimes I haven't until May, though, depends on my planning.

I haven't been to Madrid in July so don't know for sure but I would guess it is also not a real peak demand time for hotels, and I'd also try to book several months ahead if my plans are set to get what you want.

I don't know about your CC, it depends on the hotel and your booking terms. "authorizing" a credit card (a term which I'm actually not that familiar with for hotels in booking) shouldn't be a charge, if so, they should tell you. Every time I've ever booked a hotel that had maybe a one day charge upon booking (which is rare), they told me about it.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 08:28 AM

Note public holidays.. May in Paris.. has a lot of them.. so I booked now.. but as Christine says.. its easier in July and August.. ( I went to PAris this summer with only 2-3 weeks notice and was able to get the hotels I wanted.. I have never used hotels from guidebooks.. just word of mouth, reviews.. and I have even asked to see rooms at hotels on visits and then booked them next time..
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 08:52 AM
ekc

Book ASAP for the Amalfi Coast - many places get booked up a year in advance.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 09:01 AM

There is no charge applied to a credit card which is just provided as a guarantee. They might check it is a valid card but nothing more unless it is a non refundable prepaid rate, then obviously you are prepaying so they have to charge your card. Some rates require a deposit and if you book one of those rates, then your card will be charged immediately and it will be non refundable.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 09:52 AM

Do stay at Villa Maria Pia in Amalfi - it is in Praiano. We adored it!
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:45 AM

I recommend Hotel Mozart in Rome. And I would definitely book as soon as you can. I found that after I booked my hotels and as time got closer to my arrival time any available rooms at the hotels were a higher rate than what I was paying. I had only one hotel pre-authorize my credit card when I booked. I do NOT book the non-refundable rates because of having an elderly parent.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all

Yes, most hotels i am checking at my destinations allow to change/cancel booking 2 days before arrival which is guess is very convenient.

The hotels usually pre-authorize the card as a guarantee that if there is NO SHOW then they will charge the card for the 1 st day or as per conditions agreed.

As i previously intended to travel END MAY, therefore i checked prices for May and now i have found the JULY will give you cheaper rates.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

CHRISTINA,
could you kindly share some HOTELS in Paris in the range of Euro 100-150/- per night for a Double bed

thanks
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 12:18 AM

asimm

Lots of hotel in that price range. Just go on booking.com, select where you want to be and/or price range.

When you select a hotel, to be sure of its location, look at postal address : it must start with 75 (for Paris) then 0xx. xx give the arrondissement : 1 to 20.

Select AC if you are used to ac - july can be hot.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Will the 10th Arr be a good place to stay as i am on a budget

Would be visiting the famous places like EIFEL TOWER, CHAMS, DISNEYLAND etc etc

OR
Which Arrondissment would you suggest
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 01:19 AM

10th is ok.
My favourites in 10th are
Aida Marais (has AC)
Art Hotel Lafayette, but their price is totally erratic
and a small 2*
Hotel de l'Europe, on Magenta, very good and very cheap - I paid 72 e last time.

mvg
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 01:45 AM

Hotel Eugenie.. has ac, and excellent location, nice staff, and room has a mini fridge you can stock goodies in.

Hotel St Pierre.. near the Sorbonne,, excellent location walk to many sites easily,, rooms ARE very small. but clean and well put together.. hotel has ac but not mini fridges in room

Hotel College Du France..I love the location but they did not used to have ac,, now apparently some roons do..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -