Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How early is to early to see the tulips in Holland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 09:51 AM
the turnip

I realize it won't be peak season but can anyone give me some guidelines as to exactly when the tulips are in bloom? <BR> <BR>My reason for asking is that Iceland air is running a killer special (think $200 per person) but the travel times are earlier than I had hoped to go. <BR> <BR>Many thanks for your input, the turnip

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:20 AM
KT

The Michelin green guide says this about blossoming times: <BR> <BR>towards mid-March: crocuses <BR>end of March: narcissi <BR>mid-April: hyacinths and early tulips <BR>late April-early May: tulips <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Nelson T.

Keukenhof Gardens opens this year the last week of March....they will have a few million tulips blooming & this is the best place to go to see them. It's near the village of Lisse between Haarlem & Leiden. <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Sjoerd

The Michelin guide is right: Tulips are in bloom between mid-April and early May. You will probably see a few tulips in early April or mid May, but the spectacular effect of huge fields of tulips is best experienced in late April.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Art

I agree, the best time is late April or early May. Many years ago we drove up from Germany for the Tulip Festival. On one weekend they have a Tulip Paride with floats etc simular to the Rose parade here in Los Angeles. It was very impressive. <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Alice

We went to Amsterdam in March 2000 - Keukenhof was beautiful, and you could order bulbs from the greenhouses, but the fields were not blooming with tulips at that time. If you have never been, and the price is really good, there are many other reasons to go, and there are still pretty flowers, just not tulip fields. We had a great time last year (it was chilly, 30-48degrees F.and a little overcast/misty most days).