Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How early for check in....Heathrow to Geneva - 6:40 flight

May 20th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

We have a super early 6:40 am flight from LHR to Geneva. How early do we have to arrive as this is an international flight to a non-EU country? The standard 2 hours pre-flight check in for international flights seems particularly brutal (4:40 am) and perhaps (hopefully) unnecessary during a low air traffic period.

We want to be safe but not crazy early.

Any thoughts/experiences?
May 20th, 2014, 02:15 AM

I think the check-in counters and security open at 5am, so no point in getting there before that. We would be there for 5am to be safe and just grab a bite to eat after security to use up any extra time.
May 20th, 2014, 02:53 AM

Check the Heathrow website and see what time check in opens, and be there about 25-30 minutes before this to be at the front of the queue.
May 20th, 2014, 03:45 AM

What does your airline recommend?
May 20th, 2014, 04:43 AM

At LHR there will be a lot of flights leaving before 6:40 - so the airport can be quite busy by then - there will also be a lot of incoming flights from the US and Canada.

So I would check what your airline requires and comply.
May 20th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this...was hoping someone who routinely makes that flight would advise. Web says only to be through security 35min minimum before... had asked at sfo british air gates and got two different answers...no phone at b&b to call... 'tis a travel mystery.
May 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM

I don't routinely take the LHRGVA flight but I do go through T5 quite often. The website states that you must pass check in minimum of 45 mins before departure and cleared security 35 mins before departure. You must be at the gate at least 20 mins before departure. You must adhere to these timings for these check points or you won't be allowed to board. All you need to know is here, be sure to expand the headings to read the whole text.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...on-heathrow-t5

You should be checking in online 24 hours before hand which will save time. Will you have bags to drop off at bag drop? If so, allow more time for this, bag drop opens at 5am. Your boarding pass will tell you the latest time that you can drop bags. If you late, you will not be allowed to go airside. I had an unfortunate experience where I did not meet these deadlines and I was not allowed through security, I was marched off to the ticket desk to be rebooked to the next flight at considerable cost.
May 20th, 2014, 10:57 AM

we take this exact flight ! Haven't even considered what time we will be there, but we are staying at the Sofitel LHR so that should make the process a wee bit easier....
May 20th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Odin..thanks for this...and bottom line seems to be...just be at bag drop at 5am when they open if possible...no point in getting there earlier!? Surfmom...sure wish I was staying there....we were going to stay there for return flight...but had no idea we would want to on the way out.... won't make this mistake again.