How early can I check-in...

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 07:31 AM
s!

How early can I check-in...

...for a international US Airways flight? I want to get the best seats possible. I get different times from the airline telephone reps. I know I have to be there 2hrs to 90 min. before for the flight... but can I check in 6 or 10 hours early to get good seats and then leave and come back to the airport two hours before the flight?

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 07:37 AM
Richard

Most if not all airlines will give you a seat assignment on the phone when you make your reservation. American, the airline I'm most familiar with, has a new feature on their website that allows you to choose your seat, showing you a seat map of the plane.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Debbie

some airlines have a 90 day limit on when they will hand out seat assignments.

Call them and ask what day you can call for advance assignments.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 07:46 AM
s!

Sorry. I should have mentioned a critical detail. I am trying to use "space available" upgrades. The kind you can buy when a friend works for the airline. Thanks.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Richard

I don't understand your terminology. Are you flying non-rev (non-revenue)paying only the taxes? If so, you won't get a seat assignment until 15 minutes or so before departure. I have witnessed airline employees flying non-rev get up-graded to 1st, doubt it will work for you though. I've not heard of "space available upgrades".

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:01 PM
cynthia

I have had success by going to the airport 6 hours before my flight (each airline I've spoke to have said thats the earliest you can check it) checked my bags and changed my seat assignment to an emergency exit. This gives me great leg room. I then go home and have someone drive me to the airport later an hour before the flight. I spend less time in the airport and have a good seat for the 10 hour trip. This works almost every time.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Keith

I always ask for a seat assignment when I buy my tickets, but I rarely end up with that seat. Maybe I'll start checking in 2 days ahead of time, just to make sure I get a good seat.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:50 PM
s!

Very funny Keith!