Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How early at hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-early-at-hotels-355163/)

Luv2Travel Sep 4th, 2003 01:28 PM

How early at hotels?

Just wanted to know if anybody has experienced being able to check-in early at their hotel. And how early was it?

elaine Sep 4th, 2003 01:43 PM

My answer is, it depends.
It is much more likely at a large hotel where they are not turning over every room immediately.
It is much less likely, unless you are lucky, at a small popular hotel, where they depend on turning over a room from one guest to another within a few hours.
In that case, they often need time after the guest leaves in the morning, to prepare the room for a new guest.

leslie Sep 4th, 2003 01:45 PM

I have checked in as early as 8:00am in Zurich and London, and at 10:00am in Prague and Budapest. I haven't had any trouble with early check ins as long as a room was available. I always reconfirm my reservations and inquire in my email if early check ins are available. Otherwise, the front desk has agreed to hold my luggage until a room has been cleaned and is available. Although I don't nap when I arrive in Europe, I do like to take a shower to refresh me and then get going. As an American traveller arriving in the morning in Europe, I have never really found it a problem checking in as I usually arrive midweek and stay in hotels that are used both for business and leisure. Business travellers are more prone to checking out earlier in the day.

Christina Sep 4th, 2003 01:47 PM

sure, I am frequently able to check in before the "official" check-in time which is in the afternoon. Often I can if I arrive 10 am - noon. I think a lot of people leaving hotels leave early to catch trains or flights, so it works out.

suzanne Sep 4th, 2003 02:16 PM

I have never had a problem checking in early...I have checked in at 9AM at hotels in Lisbon, Stockholm, Athens, Vienna...most of these were larger hotels. Never a problem.

francophile03 Sep 4th, 2003 03:41 PM

There's no general answer as it really all depends on the hotel's availability and policy.

grandmere Sep 4th, 2003 03:43 PM

Got into my room in little hotel in Paris upon arrival after early a.m. flight, and daughter and her husband had to wait until after 1:30 pm, sleepily! As others have said, it varies.

MelJ Sep 4th, 2003 04:28 PM

Years ago I found it impossible to check in to hotels--particularly in London--prior to 2:00 p.m. However, I've had no problems in about 4 years. I always put my arrival time on the reservation form and say "how much it would be appreciated if a room were available for check-in, but that I certainly understand if it is not." I usually arrive at the hotel around 9:30 a.m. and always ask again, very politely, if there is any chance a room is available.

Maybe part of the problem years ago was that I frequently stayed at large hotels that catered to groups and airline employees (who always get to check in when they arrive, thus taking any rooms cleaned early), such as the Forum in London. Now I stay at smaller boutique-style hotels where service usually friendlier, more personal and more accomodating.

I found the same to be true in Paris last year. First trip we stayed at a huge hotel in the 7th and had to wait. This time we stayed in a French-run place in the 6th and they were very welcoming and had a room ready.

Patrick Sep 4th, 2003 04:38 PM

In London we once waited until after 2 PM despite being told we could "probably" count on an early check-in (we arrived about 8:30 AM). That's just one reason I've liked renting an apartment for which I have the keys when I arrive.

But the worst was arriving at a Jury's Hotel in Belfast about noon, and at 6 PM after many checks they still didn't have a room ready. That's when I sort of threw a fit and they finally found us a room.

ChevyChasen Oct 9th, 2004 07:57 AM

in general is it expected you use the luggage room (& pay) if you arrive early or do the hotel staff generally hold your bags for you or take them to the still unmade room? have you ever been charged? i am going to london. thx

suze Oct 9th, 2004 08:48 AM

Maybe since I stay in small hotels, I've yet to be able to check in early? I drop off my luggage at the front desk (no charge) and return at normal check-in time.

As others mentioned big hotels would more likely have empty rooms, earlier in the day (more rooms, larger housekeeping staff).

ira Oct 9th, 2004 11:05 AM

Hi ChevyChasen >

>in general is it expected you use the luggage room (& pay) if you arrive early..<

Your hotel should hold your luggge for you for free.

They should also hold your luggage for you, again for free, after checkout until you leave for the airport or train.

marilynl Oct 9th, 2004 11:38 AM

I've only ever paid a charge to hold luggage at the New York Hilton, and I'm still amazed by it years later! I have found no pattern as to whether early check-in will be available--properties as small as 5 rooms have allowed it, while some very large city hotels can't seem to get their act together before 5 PM (AFTER the published check-in time).