Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does one not look like a tourist in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 03:06 AM
La

Going to austria this summer and everyone keeps saying not to dress like a tourist. What does a tourist dress like? I am planning to wear jeans and sneakers. Is this ok?

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 04:22 AM
elaine

There are many opinions on this subject. <BR>If you like, do a Search on this forum <BR>(the Search function is right under the blue area on the Europe Forum page) and search for "Tacky Tourist", and/or <BR>"shorts" or "jeans" or "dress". You're sure to find the previous threads. <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 04:36 AM
Valerie

La, <BR> <BR>I have heard that most Europeans can tell an American by their wearing of sneakers and bright clothes! Coming from the New York City area, I never wear either, just a lot of dark clothes and have never been mistaken as an American. Most people attempt to speak German to me as I am blonde. Other tricks are: keep your camera out of sight, don't wear a lot of jewelry, walk with determination. Any Europeans out there that would like to comment on how they can tell us tourists apart?

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 04:53 AM
Myriam

I have met in Belgium (where I live) and anywhere else in Europe lots of people dressed like "American tourists" as you describe your people. But I'm absolutely not sure if they were Americans. This just because we Europeans also wear shorts, colourful shirts, caps, sneakers etc. and especially our children love everything that comes from the USA. <BR> <BR>My question: how do you recognize a European tourist on holiday in the States by his clothing ? Are we so much different than you are ? <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 05:34 AM
Wanda

La, <BR> <BR>There is a website (bparis.com) that is mostly about Paris but I would think some of it applies to Europe in general. There is an article there about tips for tourists and it discusses how not to look and act like a tourist. Maybe that would help.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 05:50 AM
Al

We see a lot of tourists out here in Arizona, and there are some tip-offs that almost never fail. Europeans wear ankle socks with sandals. Women with hairy armpits and unshaved legs. Many European men wear their wrist watches with the watch faces on the inside of their wrists. We asked a tour guide in Germany how he knew we were American. He answered that our shoes gave us away. He also said that the way we walked was different, with our hands in our pockets, with an almost John Wayne kind of gait.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 06:17 AM
elvira

Along with the socks/sandals look, there are the shorts that European men wear that are a little longer, a little wider-legged than American men wear. And, odd-looking hats like golf hats yanked down over their ears. Dead giveaway..... <BR>Years ago, I went to the wedding of a friend who is an Orthodox Jew. My usual get-up for a wedding is something brightly-colored and a little over-the-top. At her wedding, I dressed far more conservatively, out of respect for a culture that wasn't mine. No way was I going to pass for a relative (I am clearly shiksa), but I did want to 'blend' as best as I could. That's how I view dressing when I travel; I'm not necessarily going to pass as a native, but at least I won't grate on anyone.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 06:23 AM
cassandra

Age is an issue. Students look like students just about everywhere -- jeans, khakis, or chinos (tighter in Europe than here, but Europeans are skinnier) and t-shirts. But if you aren't a student, the Reeboks/Nikes may well give you away, and the jeans, esp. if shorts or baggies, will too. If you are a little older, particularly in southern Europe (Spain), conservative, darker clothing will do it -- although I was surprised at how rarely one saw women in skirts (except young, gorgeous women in above-the-knee spandex), most often wearing well-tailored slacks. A tailored jacket if it isn't too hot is useful for both men and women. <BR> <BR>Here's a trick, however, that is also useful as an anti-theft ploy: as soon as you arrive, buy a couple of books at a bookstore that will give you a fairly sturdy plastic bag with their logo on it. Use that bag to carry camera, film, maps, tour books, etc. It hides the tourist gear while keeping it very handy and suggests that you might be a local resident/reader. (Do I need to mention that a transparent bag won't do it? )

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 06:27 AM
AJ

LA, It is impossible to look indigenous when you're a tourist. Unless, of course, you choose to control your face into a bored, rushed, or preoccupied look, use no cameras, and observe spectacular sites for no longer than a second or two. <BR> <BR>I think posters who recommend that you try not to look like a tourist are wrong. I would instead try to look like a tourist who is in control, if the intent is to avoid becoming a victim. This means walking with a determined step, speaking with polite authority, firmly meeting the eye of people around you, etc. I think that the "John Wayne" thing, while a little overly dramatic, is probably true. <BR> <BR>Nobody could look more like a group of tourists that my family of five which travels alot. We wear daypacks, carry cameras and VCRs, read maps on street corners, gawk, read tomb inscriptions to each other, etc.! We have never, repeat, never had a problem.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 10:14 AM
Sheila

There are a number of things that give away Americaan tourist but in an attempt not give as much offense as some in this thread already have, I'll resist mentioning some of them. <BR> <BR>The dead give away for me is that the cut of US jeans is different to ours. <BR>Also, people of middle age and above dress much "younger" than their counterparts here. <BR> <BR>Just off to shave my armpits.........

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 11:02 AM
Myriam

<BR>... and my legs !

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 12:02 PM
greg

Hey, its is even in a national tourist office web page: <BR> <BR>http://www.anto.com/faq.html#clothes <BR> <BR>... Please note that an Austrian can usually spot you as an American visitor from 1000 yards away if he/she wears new white sneakers and a jogging suit! <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 12:21 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Ah, yes. There is nothing more ridiculous looking than an adult walking in public wearing one of those garish windsuits. They must make the fashion-conscious French wince as they walk by.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 12:27 PM
cp

I KNOW that I will be spotted as a tourist. But, I do try to blend so that I don't stick out in a crowd. I feel I'm less likely to be pickpocketed or harassed that way. <BR>Here is how I spot tourists: <BR>Bright white sneakers esp. nike or keds <BR>shirts not tucked in <BR>no belt <BR>men: no undershirt under a button down <BR>women: overabundance of makeup <BR>matching his & hers outfits or jackets <BR>U of Wherever T-shirt, sweatshirt, or Baseball hat

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 12:52 PM
HV

La,don't sweat it,mixing with the locals is greatly overrated.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 01:26 PM
russellm

A typical American signals rob me or I am ugly because/by <BR>1)clothes. no jeans,no fanny packs ,no sneakers. <BR>2) attiude: learn to speak German <BR>be polite and courteous at all times always saying thank you and asking permission. Say hello to people in the same room..resturant etc.. <BR>3) Food .. eat late .eat like a Euro fork in left hand etc.. Do not eat in fast food places or choose boring fast food on Euro menu or complain about how long it takes.. that is part of the pleasure. <BR> <BR>4)culture .dont ask how much did a priceless object cost..only valuing the item with a $$ amount. imagine asking how much does Congress Bldg Cost ?? <BR>Walk in the evening after dinner . Enjoy the people and the ambiance. Relax ,smile at people ..connect.. be engaged.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 02:29 PM
jodie

Looking American and looking like a tourist doesn't have to be the same thing. But unfortunately, looking like a tourist sets you up for pickpockets, scam artists, etc. And looking like an American sometimes draws antagonism, for example by those infamously haughty Parisian waiters. <BR> <BR>I get truly tired of the scornful "oh-you-Americans" attitude, so I'll keep a low profile for the luxury of being tolerated and served with at least some civility. But it definitely depends on the region, country, area. German and Japanese tourists seem to draw some of the same distaste here and there, but we Americans seem to care more about being liked. I gave up worrying about being liked (you can't please some people, no matter how polite and soft-spoken you are), in favor of being served competently and not robbed.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 03:23 PM
Dave

If you wear Middle Eastern garb, with gernades and bullets strapped across your chest, they will know you are a tourist...at least I hope! <BR> <BR>Do not laugh, my friend says this is quite common at the Marakesh (spelling ?) in? It is either Morroco or Portugul, I believe. They sell LOTS of illegal drugs there, I'm told, and are thusly---armed for it.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 04:03 PM
Ed

Why would you worry about that? <BR> <BR>As soon as we open our mouths all of us except talented linguists give ourselves away instantly. <BR> <BR>Dress comfortably. And enjoy yourself. <BR> <BR>See http://twenj.com/tipsclothes.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 07:04 PM
Dayle

I will just make one note: camping in the US National Parks I always notice the German tourists (of which there are MANY). Some tend to wear the most startling combinations of plaids/stripes/prints in bright colors. I have never noticed any other nationalities who dress this way. I will add: when you work with the public in places where you get a lot of tourists, after a few months you can tell where people are from long before they ever open their mouths. Just dress in a style that's comfortable for you and you'll have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -