Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does one make reservations for a table on a dining car on an Italian Eurostar train?

How does one make reservations for a table on a dining car on an Italian Eurostar train?

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

How can I make advance reservations for lunch on the Eurostar from Venice to Florence? The trenitalia website does not give me this information. I'll be someone here knows!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Didn't know that one can. Read the yellow poster on the platform that shows the train composition, position yourself so that the restaurant car stops in front of you, and pile in. First come, first seated, that's how it's always been when I partook. Unless something has changed?

If you have a ton of stuff, you can't do it. Another advantage of travelling light.

This might be a reason for picking a train that starts out in Venice-Santa Lucia so you have first dibs, rather than jumping on a train that only breezes through Mestre and find that pax from Trieste have already taken up all the tables.

Buon appetito!

WK
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM

You cannot make bookings before joining the train. A steward normally walks through the train taking reservations before the meal is ready. I think they would go to the fist class before asking second class passengers. You could go along to the restaurant car and ask for a reservation.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. In that case, I would like to reserve seats in the first class coach that is the most likely to be the starting place for the steward to begin asking, OR the first class coach closest to the dining car. Does anyone know which coaches those would be, and how they are referred to on the trenitalia website that lets you book and choose your seats? There are blanks where one can fill in the coach and seat of one's choice and I need to know what to type in those blanks.

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM
ira

Hi BS,

I think that you will have a much nicer meal at lower cost if you buy a few sandwiches, a bottle of wine and some dessert before getting on the train and picnic in your seat.

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:31 AM

IRA,

Can you actually bring your own wine on the train. It's funny, but I've never seen it in the many times I've travelled. I guess I must have been on early AM trains.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Mikey; you can bring your wine and your dog. last time we rode we brought our own peanut butter, too!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM

On European trains the restaurant car is normally located between the first class carriages and the second class carriages. First class is normally at the head of the train. There are exceptions.

If your train is originating in Venice then I suggest that you get on board a half hour early and go immediately to the maitre d' in the restaurant car to reserve or sit immediately at a table.

My TC Timetable shows that the only ES trains from Santa Lucia with a restaurant car depart at 1032 and 1232. Reservations for the train are required. The 1232 seems to originate in Venezia but the 1032 seems to originate in Trieste as a different train.

Normally I do as Ira suggests. But if I had the euros burning a hole in my wallet I would certainly dine in the restaurant car.

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:49 PM

I have always brought food on the train,
but now you say I can bring wine too !!!

life is good.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Yes you can nearly always bring alcohol on trains - with very few exceptions (like trains full of soccer fans en route to a match).
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM

bakerstreet,

Posting the same question, especially only three hours apart, is counter-productive. Be patient, or you'll miss your train.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Hmmm ! It is not the Orient Express--the trip is less than 3 hours and the meals are overpriced.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:24 PM

I don't remember what the meal cost, I do know that I enjoyed being in the dining car, with the white tablecloths and friendly service-but I was going from Venice to Rome, which is a 4 hour train ride-so it was a pleasant way to pass the time-the wine flowed freely as well-that always helps-they come around with bottles of red and white to top off your glass just like on the airplane.

And hopscotch, yes, I agree-baker needs to chill-either way, it will work out fine.