Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How does one get over the post-vacation blues? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-does-one-get-over-the-post-vacation-blues-28047/)

Polina Jul 2nd, 1998 08:07 AM

How does one get over the post-vacation blues?

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Europe. It was 4 weeks long and just amazing! Now we're back home and are longing to be back in Europe. We definitely have post-vacation blues and are feeling quite sad. How do we get over this depression?

kimberley Jul 2nd, 1998 09:03 AM

It sure is hard to come home, isn't it? Here's what helps me: buy a large scrapbook-type album and spend some time making a great memory album of the trip, sticking in photos, ticket stubs, pamphlets, etc. and writing captions. The album takes a few weeks to make and, after it's done, flipping through it can help relive the memories. If you kept a travel journal, reading that is fun, too. Think of some of the reasons your trip was great, and see if you can come up with a way to incorporate some of those things in your normal life. True, USA is nor Europe, but there are probably places near your hometown where you can stroll around the streets, have a drink at an outdoor cafe, visit a museum, take time to pay attention to your husband. Many people don't bother to do these things at home, and making a point of giving your regular life the same effort as a vacation can make a big difference. Since you obviously love European travel, set goals (financial and time) to allow for a future trip (it may be possible sooner than you think). Make wish lists with your husband about where you'd like to go next time and what you'd like to see. Start researching. Finally, share your tidbits with all of us on Fodor's Forums; you can relive your experiences and help fellow travellers! Cheer up and enjoy your memories! kimberley

Lee Jul 2nd, 1998 09:14 AM

Polina: I know exactly what you mean. Last summer, my wife and I drove around southern Germany for 10 days and it seemed kind of sad to get back into the "old rat race". I think that this is a common thing after you've gotten away from it all and had fun. What I did was try to adapt our surroundings a litte to where we visited. We put out the things that we brought back and maybe did a few small decorating things inside and outside that were sort of reminders, like flower boxes on our porch and more flowers and things for the garden in general. We also had our photos developed and we took a few and had them enlarged and hung them up. Instead of missing the places we've seen, we save some money and are making plans to go back next year. We aren't going until next May, but our itinerary in almost in place. This tends to give you something to look forward to and to work for. I think that getting away makes life easier to cope with, especially if you have a stressful job and/or home life. So, keep that chin up and look ahead! We are fortunate to be able to travel, even once in a while. Here's to that next trip!

Monica Jul 2nd, 1998 10:01 AM

I love to look back on my photos, items I've bought, and reading my journal. But I always start thinking of my next trip (France in May? 1999)!

Donna Jul 2nd, 1998 10:33 AM

I am always sad to leave Europe to come home. I have filled my home with treasures from my travels, and just looking around the house brings back memories. We have also made changes in our home to remind us of Europe: two years ago an artist painted a sky and clouds on the ceiling in our dining room. This reminds me of many French and European palaces. Our guest bath is done in faux marble, completed by a wonderful artist who understands my love for Europe. For the last 6 years, I have been adding to my flower garden in back many of the blooming plants I have seen at Monet's home and in other beautiful gardens. This year we bricked our drive, walkway, and front porch. This reminds me of the cobblestone streets. I tend to care for my flowers more, and appreciate them more since I have had wonderful visits in Europe. Even my friends joke that we really live in Europe and just come back to the States to work. A true cure, though, is to plan the next trip on the airplane home. We just returned from Norway and already are planning a month in Scotland for next year.

kam Jul 2nd, 1998 01:54 PM

Absolutely do your scrapbook before you forget all the wonderful details, and begin planning your next trip---even if you don't know when it will be. Also remember that part of this is jet lag after adjusting to European time. Get out in the sun! <BR>

hamlet Jul 2nd, 1998 03:51 PM

Great topic and suggestions. Doing the pictures, album and scrapbook ASAP is right - it helps you relive the experience a bit longer. My suggestion - while I am away, starting around the last 3 days or so, I start to remember how things are at home. I don't dwell on it. Mostly I just visualize what my house looks like, the clutter that will be waiting for me at the office, sitting in my car, etc. I just picture these things for a bit but don't think about it too much. I have done this on my last few trips and I find that it really helps the transition from vacation to home. <BR>

Bee Jul 2nd, 1998 07:46 PM

Keeping in touch with people I've met in Europe (other travellers and natives) via e-mail or regular mail helps me over my post-vacation blues. I've also created an album of memories and put in more comments of my trip in my travel journal so it now consists of "before, during and after" impressions.

sgorces Jul 2nd, 1998 09:52 PM

Take a trip!

Julie Jul 3rd, 1998 06:42 AM

When your bills start coming in, you'll have something else to be blue over!

tom Jul 3rd, 1998 07:24 PM

Try these three things: 1. Plan your next trip/trips. My wife and I are going to Scotland this August, but we are already planning our trip next Spring to Eastern Europe, and I'm already planning next two trips in my mind. Already getting books and printing helpful suggestions on Fodors forum, etc. 2, Enjoy your many photos and scrapbooks 3. Share the information! I enjoy reading these posts and sharing information with others. Helps me relive my previous trips and I also get a good feeling about sharing information with others. <BR>

Carol Anderson Jul 3rd, 1998 07:43 PM

<BR>What a great topic! When I came back from my first trip to Europe 12/95, I resolved to change my MO and live more "Europeanly". Fortunately becoming an "empty nester" and transferring to a less stressful job have helped. In addition to the other good suggestions such as making an album, displaying collectables, planning your next trip (including prioritizing and saving for it), I'd urge resolving to: "tour" your own area, do some people-watching, look for serendipitous pleasures, let the vacation attitude linger.

Emily Copeman Jul 4th, 1998 12:02 PM

Wow, that is a good question!! My family is a collection of avid readers and artistic people, and we travel often. I am quite prone to the post-vacation blues, and have found some perfect hints and tips on getting over it. <BR>Travel Collage: <BR>My mom and I discovered this cheap and easy idea after a week long trip to New York City. Use a plexiglass frame in a size that will fit a space on the wall in your home, and cover a measured piece of cardboard with souveneirs (sp.?). Using napkins, tissue paper, bags, business cards, company emblems, reciepts, ticket stubs etc. We used playbills and painted an NYC background then glazed over it at the end. It's a lot of fun to see all you have done, and creating one for each city forms a fun conversation piece too. Good Luck!! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Gigi Jul 4th, 1998 03:33 PM

Great question, I felt weird for over a month after I returned from my Paris trip. It really is a testament to how adaptable human beings are, that even after only a week or so in a foreign country we can assimilate so much that coming home feels funny. Anyway, for me the best way to cure the post trip blues is to begin planning another one. The planning is always half the fun anyway.

Polina Jul 6th, 1998 11:16 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We have developed our pictures and will start on our scrap book. We most definitely will start planning (at least dreaming) of our next trip. Thanks to all!!

Yvonne Jul 6th, 1998 12:15 PM

I do like this topic. Upon returning you're tired physically and emotionally you're drained. Your mind would like to linger in Europe just a bit longer, but your boss frowns on sitting over a cup of coffee for an hour (plus office coffee pales in comparison to a café crème). You're back to your everyday life with deadlines and housework. You know prior to your trip you read and study, like preparing for a final exam. It's a flurry of activity that's not necessary now that your trip is over. <BR> <BR>I agree with the above ideas, look at your photos and art books, and don't hide them, leave them in plain site for an anytime mind trip back across the ocean. I took a few pictures specifically to blow up and display on a wall., but I've found that visiting this site has perked me up, plus I'm planning for another trip at an indefinite time. <BR>

CJ Jul 7th, 1998 07:59 AM

I have to agree withe everyone. Coming back is the pits. Stick with this forum and you'll get through it. Another thing that got my husband and I trough the Europen Blue was our local cable TV channel sponsored by Fodors called "Inntimate Escapes" Wee find that at least three times a week the show someplace that we have visted. It's like been there done that but can't wait to go back. It is on our learning channel or maybe it may be called TLC. Anyway its great to watch and you can get new ideas on where you may want to go the next time. The hosts name is Jennifer Conby and does a great job for Fodors. Don't miss this program you'll feel like your back in Europe. <BR>

Joanna Jul 16th, 1998 05:55 PM

I always have my next trip in mind, so I don't really get depressed about being back. I know that within the following 2 years I will be O/S again for another 6-8 weeks so there's always something to look forward to.

Polina Jul 17th, 1998 07:33 AM

Yes, looking forward to the next trip does help one get over the blues. However, my husband and I are planning to start having children in the very near future, which means that our vacation days are over for quite a while. However, I am certain that having children will be an adventure in itself. I'll start planning for our vacation when the kids are old enough to leave with grandma and grampa in about 5-7 years. In the meantime, I will vacation through the words of others on this site. Thanks to all!

Luca Braci Jul 17th, 1998 09:11 PM

Just start watching the international channel and think how stupid americans are when they act stupid here in america, and how the majority of them are very ignorant!!! Then consider your life changed and return next summer. <BR> <BR>I've been doing this for the last 4 years and don't see an end!!! <BR> <BR>ciao grazie!!!!!!