Paris Museum Pass????

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Joseph

Paris Museum Pass????

Is it worth it to get a museum pass? how much are the tickets to get into Paris museums each (Louve, d'Orsay)? I am probably only going to four museums for the days I'm there, is it worth the 32 euro for the pass?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Gretchen

Are you also going to Ste. Chappelle and the Conciergerie? Versailles? Arc de Triomphe? Good there also. It is most convenient for bypassing the long lines that are often at d'Orsay and Louvre. It is also nice to have because you may pass a small museum in your ramblings and just want to pop in to see what is there.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:39 AM
xxx

I believe the 3-day pass is 26 Euros. And yes, it is worth it. Also will add the Towers of Notre Dame, the crypt - mentioning this because I'm sure you'll visit Notre Dame.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:58 AM
M-xxx

Website for museum pass is http://www.intermusees.com and you see the list of attractions at which it can be used to gain entrance. Yes, it can be a $$$ savings, more importantly it's a time-saver as you can bypass the long lines. It's simple to buy the pass once you're in Paris. And it is available for 1 or 3 or 7 days.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Nikki

I would never go to the Musee d'Orsay without the pass after seeing the line last week. We would have had to wait over an hour in the rain, but with the pass we just walked right in. Worth it even if you just bought the one day pass and used it for that one museum.

We had the five day pass. We also bypassed a long line at Versailles. At the Louvre, however, and at Ste. Chapelle, there were lines to go through security, from which the pass did not protect us.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:55 AM
andi

You all have me convinced to get the pass. The question is where? I figured I'd buy it at the same time (and place?) as the Carte Orange for the metro. Staying in the 4th (Caron de Beaumarchais, rue vielle du temple). Would love to take care of this first day. Anyone know which metro stations (I think the closest is Hotel de Ville but also St. Paul is nearby) sell these (or do they?)

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:11 AM
kay

How are you arriving at Paris? I bought my museum pass at the tourist info place in CDG -- right after I cleared immigration and baggage claim, before going into the city. You should have no trouble finding a place to buy the Carte Musee. They are also availiable in train stations and from some hotel concierges if you aren't able to get one along with your transit card.
Don't worry about buying the pass on a day you won't use it, as the 5 days (or 3) don't start running until your first museum visit.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:47 AM
janis

As you have already decided - the Pass is a "Must". Even if you were only going to use it twice it would be worth it. The time wasted in lines at just the Louvre and d'Orsay mean you are actually saving money. 26 euro is about $22 - assuming a combined 3 hour wait (90 minutes at each) is your time worth $7.50 per hour. I bet you make more than that.

Anyway - you will use it more than just two time so it is a big money and time saver.

If you are arriving by air buy your metro carte and the museum Pass at the airport when you are using the ATM, etc. If you are arriving by Eurostar, you can buy them both at Waterloo or at gare du Nord.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Joseph

Thank you everybody, I am going for the pass, it seems like a sure winner. I agree that it will be worth it just for not having to wait in those lines!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Maria

Went to themuseum pass website listed above and it looks like it's been replaced. I wasn't able to get any information. Anyone have a more recent site for ordering these passes. Thank you.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Beth

We bought ours at the French tourist office just a 1/2 block south of the Arche de Triomphe on the Champs. We intend to buy another next month. We also bought our metro Paris Visite card there. And, the museum pass is so worth it!! Just be aware that it runs 3 or 5 consecutive days and plan ahead. We blew a day because one of my friends had an emergency; we needed to use the bathroom at the Louvre (the closest facility) just before its closing time! Oh well, live and learn.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:27 AM
alex

Joseph:
You are right about the closest Metro lines. I suspect you'll find Hotel de Ville more convenient, though St-Paul may be slightly closer to your hotel, which (hotel) I like. Seems as though you can purchase both the Carte Orange and Carte Musee at Hotel de Ville Metro station. You may also wish to consider using carnets, books of 10 metro tickets. While the Carte Orange is good, it is a weekly pass running Monday through Sunday. You'll also need a photo for it.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Beverly

Check with your hotel, too. I bought my pass from my hotel concierge.

I did not run into long lines at the Louvre but it was well worth walking to the front of the line at Musee D'Orsay. It was the one day I was there that it was bone chilling weather and I walked right in with the pass.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Yvonne

For Maria. Go to google.com and search for paris museum pass, then select the web site starting with intermusee.com, should be in the first five listings. You can purchase the pass at a participating museum, or the tourist office.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Liz

Intermusees site was not working, but is OK again now. Try it again:
http://www.intermusees.com/wwwie/index.html