Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does one find a hotel in Cinque Terre? Does everyone take pot luck?

Jun 7th, 1999, 10:52 AM
Lydia

Please tell me how I can get hold of a hotel list for the Cinque Terre. I have searched this forum, but only a few affordable names came up, not much info about these hotels. Is there a sort of a tourist office which I can contact?
PLEASE HELP

Jun 7th, 1999, 01:09 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lydia, I have answered questions about
where to stay at least a dozen times
in the last 2 years on this forum.First,
one has to define and understand the
geography of what is the Cinque Terre.
Except for Monterosso, the other 4 towns
are very small and isolated with limited
hotel options. The best towns to stay at
to ACCESS the area are Levanto,Portovenere, and Monterosso.
You can get to the others by train during the season, or by boat from
several places along the coast, but only
during daytime hours and only if the
seas are not high. Forget dinner at
Vernazza unless you stay there. For hotels in Monterosso, try www.pasini.com
For Portovenere, try www.golfodeipoeti.
com for Hotel Belvedere. Remember, how
you do the Cinque terre depends on WHEN,
WHERE YOU STAY, MODE OF TRANSPORT, and
the weather.There is no quick answer.
These villages are very isolated.

Jun 7th, 1999, 01:59 PM
Richard

I would add La Spezia to the above list of towns near the CT. It's at the southern end and you can catch a train to Riomaggiore to start the walk.

Jun 7th, 1999, 02:50 PM
anne

Just back from there - and a fantastic walk along the coast - unforgettable!
The only 5-Terre town that can really accommodate alot of lodgers is Monterosso. It's given a bad rap in Rick Steves book, which is kind of the 5-Terre Bible, but we liked the old section of town, and would've enjoyed staying there. Yes, Vernazza is fascinating, adorable, unbelievable, but so tiny that it fills up fast, day and night.
We stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure, and took the train to the southernmost town, walked north, and trained "home". Train access is easy and frequent. SML is an hour north of Monterosso. Some towns between the 2 are Rapallo, Chiavari, Sestri-Levante, and Levanto - maybe you'd have more luck finding a place there.

Jun 7th, 1999, 06:14 PM
Lydia

Thanx for your replies - I gather that there is no tourist office of any sort that can forward hotel lists?

Jun 8th, 1999, 08:58 AM
suzann

Lydia,
Try going to hotelguide.ch; do an extended search on "Italia." I just did one and the search engine came back with *134* pages of hotels. If you know the city or cities you're interested in, you can search those cities, or go to them alphabetically in the 134 pages.
Luck!

Jun 8th, 1999, 09:30 AM
JANE

Perhaps we may be of help,
www.hotelfasce.it

Jun 8th, 1999, 09:31 AM
JANE

Perhaps we may be of help,
www.hotelfasce.it

Jun 8th, 1999, 01:31 PM
Carol

A few years ago on our honeymoon, my husband and I stayed in a "hotel" in Corniglia - one of the fabulous Cinque Terre. It was actually rooms above a wonderful restaurant that serves a great frito misto with an unbeatable view of the Med (watch the cats don't snatch your food!). I think I found this place in one of the standard guides to Italy like Fodors or Let's Go. We didn't make reservations in advance, we just hiked up the long hill. Also, I've heard people rent rooms in several of the towns too so you could do something on the fly. You would probably just need to ask in a bar or tabac. My bias would be to stay in Vernazza or Corniglia - a little more off of the beaten track. I wouldn't want to stay in La Spezia at all. Hope that helps!

Jun 9th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Tim

try these:
www.spectraweb.ch/~avong/cinqueho.htm
www.cinqueterre.it
www.traveleuroope.it
Good luck.

Jun 9th, 1999, 11:31 AM
Lydia

Thanx, everybody - we would like to book, though - maybe it's the mid-40's sydrome, but it would make us feel more secure, somehow.

Jun 9th, 1999, 12:38 PM
Tony

We stayed last year at Monterresso al Mare at the Albergo Pascuale (ck out website). Excellent and reasonable. very recommendable!
enjoy.

Jun 9th, 1999, 12:52 PM
Richard

Lydia, Using Yahoo!, type in Monterosso al Mare in the "search" and a website will come up listing hotels in this town. If you intend to do the walk, take the train to Riomaggiore and trek back to Monterosso. We've stayed at the Hotel la Spiaggia, in the annex, and it was lovely. Of course, except for a shower and sleeping, we don't spend much time in our rooms. I think most of the hotels can be booked on line. We have done the walk twice and will do it again on our next trip back.

Jun 10th, 1999, 10:02 AM
Lydia

Thanx, Tony and Richard. I've found an address for a tourist office in La Spezia and requested info by snail mail. Maybe they can help with a complete list of hotels in that area. I appreciate everybody's recommendations, its just that every other town or city we'll be visiting have sent us hotel lists and that helps a great deal.

Jun 15th, 1999, 02:27 PM
Kay

We also stayed in SML and took the train for the day. (Another day we took the bus to Portofino from there) We choose a hotel from a guide book and sent a fax requesting a reservation. We received a confirmation and the room was waiting. We happened to walk the trail on a hot, humid day and the northern part was slippery from a rain the previous day, so it turned into a true hike up the hillsides. The views were great.

Jun 15th, 1999, 02:42 PM
Lydia

Kay - this sounds like business - which guidebook did you use? Everybody talks about the Ricksteves range - that it?