Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does Andalusia in July compare to Tuscany

Jan 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

We are thinking of visiting Spain in July(only time we can go becoz of kids school). We planned to go Dec.2010 but had to put it off. DH and I have been to Madrid & Barcelona & Segovia & Toledo but this trip is mainly for my soccer crazy son!!! His must do places are Valencia, Madrid & Barcelona but DH & I would like to add in Andalusia too.

Couple of years ago we went to Tuscany in mid-July and while it was very hot we did it the italian way with early starts and long siestas and staying up later in the night.
I keep reading all the horror posts about Andalusia in July so would like to know if its as bad as Tuscany.

We are planning on 3 weeks in July and would really like your opinion.
THanks!!!
Jan 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Even hotter!
Jan 26th, 2011, 12:42 AM

It is the hottest month. But we stand it pretty well every year. Do as locals, avoid doing anything but siesta/relax from 15,00 to 19,00 local time.
Jan 26th, 2011, 09:03 AM

Did anyone mention the 100 degree + heat and bright sun?
Jan 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Worse. Hotter and drier and starker. It's not Phoenix, but it sure isn't Minneapolis either. Kind of like Dallas or southern Oklahoma but it stays light longer.

And what will your trip do for your soccer crazy son? There won't be matches at the Bernabeu, Camp Nou or Pizuan (Seville) because LA LIGA IS OFF IN JULY. Does he realize this? At least if you go in August there would be preseason friendlies and early season matches. Simply stated, he won't see soccer being played except on TV replays.
Jan 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM

average temps in Seville for highs I believe are in the mid-90s but, as they always say, it is a dry heat - dry or not it's hotter than Hades!
Jan 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM

"dry or not it's hotter than Hades"

Seville in July with 45oC is far more comfortable than Savannah with 100% humidity and 30oC. Having done both (Seville 5 times) I know which I prefer.

Besides as Josele indicated there are only mad dogs and Scots that go out in the midday....

Josele, hasn't Southern Spain been "less hot" this year. We were in Mallorca last July (which I know enjoys lower coastal temps) and it struggled to make 30oC during the 2 weeks.
Jan 26th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Kind of like Dallas or southern Oklahoma but it stays light longer -- we used to live in Dallas a while ago so know the heat. While I agree that its far from ideal Im thinking that like Josele said we might stay indoors 3-7 pm which was our plan anyway.

Big Russ - My son is 8 and still very innocently associates Spain with being the world cup champs and all and knows there wont be any games. He thinks he's going to see his favourite players just walking down the street like we sometimes do here in LA...)) I think he'll be happy with just visiting the stadiums..

Also, is airconditioning common in southern spain(dont mind paying extra for it) or is it very rare?

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Jan 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Andalusia is definitely worse than Tuscany. The highs are often well over 100 degrees and there are many places (shops, modest restaurants etc without AC. Agree that Italy in summer is not - but Andalusia is a whole other level. (We went in late April and the daily highs were well into the 80 - and everyone was in the pool in the afternoon.

It can be done - but you must be sure your lodging has excellent AC as well as a pool for the afternoon (you can;t do anything else) and your car must have excellent AC. Be sure to always stay well-hydrated (water - not soft drinks or wine) and have bottles of water with you.

Caveat: I hate hot weather and we typically do Italy in May - since the weather is pleasant then (equivalent to April in southern Spain). You could not pay me to do July or Aug for either one - except for business - when everything is 5* deluxe and has AC cold enough to hang meat (we require it in all of our contracts).
Jan 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM

"We are thinking of visiting Spain in July(only time we can go becoz of kids school). We planned to go Dec.2010 but had to put it off."

Is Dec 2011 (over holiday break) a possibility? The average temperature will be close to 60 deg F. Andalusia has very mild winters and horrid summers.

As a bonus, in December/January, your flights will cost less than half what you would have to pay for the "privilege" of going there at the worst time.

Just throwing out the idea...
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Dec 2011 seems a little too far away for us to plan and if we do decide to do Spain at that time I will need to be back to the boards for other summer ideas....)))

Maybe its my wishful thinking and fancy imagination but I'd like to do Argentina & Patagonia in Dec'11.....if I have any money left over that is!!!!