How do you sleep on an airplane?

Jan 13th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

How do you sleep on an airplane?

For some reason I can't sleep on a long flight. I've drunk alcohol, I haven't drunk alchohol, I bring earplugs and eye shades, even took Tylenol PM. (That was a miserable flight.)
When I get to my destination it's daytime so I drink a Vitamin C energizer and it helps but I'm still a bit of a zombie that first day.
I'm usaully sitting wide awake among an aisle of slumbering people. How do they do it?
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM

Have you tried staying up the night before? Admittedly this could backfire if you *still* could not sleep.
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:30 PM

I have started taking No Jet Lag from a travel store (Magellans) and it helps alot on the plane and I experience very little jet lag on arrival.

Other times I take xanax after the meal and it allows me to doze but I have never actually slept like everyone else on the plane seems to do. I take that back, once I was able to lie down flat on an empty row and did sleep a little.
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:10 PM

I close my eyes and say to myselfquot; Sleep, dear fellow!" And it works!!!
Jan 14th, 2004, 01:37 AM

Some people are just "better" sleepers than others. My husband can fall asleep anywhere, and he's always out like a light after the meal.

Eye patch, earplugs, and sleeping pills always work for me (OTC).

My preferred option, however, would be to fly first class and buy those Bose white noise headphones for $300 . . .

Jan 14th, 2004, 02:28 AM

Make mad passionate love to somebody just before you board ! Guaranteed to let you drift off.....well it works for me anyway !
Jan 14th, 2004, 03:06 AM

I would have to agree with the xanax poster - after years of staring longingly into the snoring faces o fmy fellow passengers I finally threw in the towel to chemistry.
Jan 14th, 2004, 03:09 AM

How about taking Ambien when you get on the plane. If you have an 8 hour flight, that should work just fine.
Jan 14th, 2004, 03:10 AM

Marko,
do you know any airline offering this as a standard service, be it 1st class?
Jan 14th, 2004, 03:16 AM

I prefer Melatonin (available in US pharmacies). Leaves me feeling less groggy or "knocked out" than other sleep aids, so that I can manage the transfer at Heathrow in the middle of the night, and helps to reset my body clock to European time. I take 1 or 2 pills when we're seated, and I'm ready to sleep within about an hour.
Jan 14th, 2004, 04:13 AM

I can't sleep even on a flight from Asia to NYC in Business Class with a bed. So...bring several page-turner books, redo your address book, watch movies, take a walk around the plane, etc. I've tried taking many kinds of sleep aids and all they do is make me groggy when I get off the plane. I need to be awake to help the pilot in case of trouble, I think that is why I stay awake. Do you sleep in a car when someone else is driving? I don't. I think that is the test. Someone has to stay awake.
Jan 14th, 2004, 04:28 AM

Marko, since you generally have to be at the airport two hours before you board, making mad passionate love just before you board brings up images of justling blankets on the floor of the departure lounge.
Jan 14th, 2004, 04:29 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Regardless of what the experts say about drinking alcohol, Mr. Dewars helps me sleep just fine.
Jan 14th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Elainee, me too! You never know when the pilot may need our expertise, yes? I have tried EVERYTHING. It is not in my nature to sleep while the vehicle is moving too! DeGuiseppe: I look longingly around at my fellow passengers, AND I JUST WANT TO WAKE THEM UP. I keep the lights on too, So there, all you easy sleepers!
Jan 14th, 2004, 04:34 AM
dln

I have a terrible time falling asleep on trips. I've even tried Ambien and it works beautifully everywhere BUT an airplane seat! Maybe it's the sheer uncomfortable-ness of cattle class airline seats that does it? Anyway, I did fall fast asleep on our New Year's Day flight, which departed at 5:20 am. We all stayed up to watch the ball drop on Times Square, then went to bed, waking up at 3:00 am. Believe me, with less than three hours' sleep, I was out like a light minutes after takeoff.

So maybe depriving yourself of sleep, big-time, would make you fall alsleep on the long flight.

Jan 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM

And if you can sleep a bit but are traveling with people who NEVER sleep on planes, what good does it do you when you arrive at your destination raring to go, and the others are grouchy and tired and don't want to do anything?
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:27 AM

I'm with you, McGeezer. The only time I've ever drifted into sleep for just a couple of minutes on a plane, I was taking Dalmane, washed down with 2 glasses of wine, with earplugs and mask, at night, reclining in business class.

I haven't tried Ambien, but I've tried everything else. I don't sleep on planes.
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Not well.
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:34 AM

I sleep fitfully if at all. I found that on an airplane, alcohol makes me feel lightheaded, like I'm going to pass out. I just give in to jet lag and take a two hour nap when I get to my hotel. After that I'm in pretty good shape.
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:36 AM

One thing I do--I always choose a window seat for an overnight flight. Then I can "lean" on the side of the plane and sort of be on my side. Sounds weird, but it really helps me. I put the pillow between me and the wall, on with the eye shades, cover with my coat and pretend I'm in a hideously uncomfortable bed. But the last time I flew to London I must have had some sleep as I felt fairly decent that first day. Until about 8 p.m, when it was all over!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO