Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you pronounce Annascaul the town in Ireland

Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

We will be visiting Dingle peninsula in 10 days, we will be doing the Tom Crean tour here. So thank you with the pronounciation. PJ
Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
lawchick

annas call

Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM

Just cusious: What attracts you to a Tom Crean tour?
Yes, I know who he is and what he did, I'm just curious about what grabs you in particular.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

We have read alot of the books about Antartic exploration. Of course the Shakleton adventure to the South Pole is amazing. So our interest in Tom Crean stems from our reading. There is a cute pub called South Pole in Annascaul and I would like to see where Tom Crean is buried and just walk around the area with a guide. So I think that answers your question Bluehour, thanks for asking! PJ
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Yes, thank you!
Have a great trip. I hope it's not too foggy. And watch out for sheep!
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Sounds great that you are planning on the Tom Crean tour. I have a lady friend, Elizabeth Rajala whose father, Mr. Bakewell was a member of the Shackleton Adventure in 1914 so she has been very involved in the whole thing and this past year published a book from her father's notes which is very interesting. She and I have also been interested in going to Annascaul and visiting the Inn that Thomas Crean owned before his death. The only problem is, we don't want to drive so would you possibly fill us in about how your plans will come about, which airport you are flying into, etc. And if after your tour, you would perhaps write me and I could relay it all to Elizabeth Bakewell Rajala. My e-mail address is [email protected] and would really appreciate hearing from you. Sincerely, MJ Hallifax
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM

topping
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

I will definitely email when we get back. we may stay at a b/b in anascaul called tigh sean. I guess they are related to Tom Crean. So I will have lots to tell!
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Hello PJSPARLOR---I am familiar with the Shackelton adventure and the name Tom Crean--I have not been to Ireland for 4 years---Please, would you have a link for the Tom Crean tours to share?
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks so much for your response and will certainly look forward to the report on your trip, particularily in respect to the Tom Crean, maybe the South Pole Inn in Annascaul, which airport you landed in, did you have to rent a car, etc? My friend Elizabeth Bakewell Rajala will be so glad I made this connection so we may make a similar trip. Sincerely, M. Hallifax at [email protected]