Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How do you get your "Paris Fix" .... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-you-get-your-paris-fix-494929/)

BeachGirl247 Jan 12th, 2005 03:24 PM

How do you get your "Paris Fix" ....

I've been home only a few days and I'm already missing Paris! I've eaten all the chocolate in the house and now heading to the champagne with my French Cafe cd playing.

What do you do to get your "Paris Fix" at home?

Scarlett Jan 12th, 2005 03:26 PM

I look at all my photographs from trips to Paris , listen to French music and plan the next trip!
Go to French movies, and eat French food...it sort of works :)

FainaAgain Jan 12th, 2005 03:37 PM

And tell everybody at work about Paris and the future trip to it ;)

elaine Jan 12th, 2005 03:43 PM

As above: organize the photo album, schedule a dinner with French food and make people look at the album :), make notes about what you did and didn't do, and plan the next trip

cigalechanta Jan 12th, 2005 03:51 PM

well, mine is not Paris but France. We e-mail alot but Paris is here in what I can see(film, goods, with so many shops who appreciate the goods out of Paris.

JeanneB Jan 12th, 2005 04:01 PM

Go to New Orleans and speak French with the waiters! We found a little restaurant with a tiny vine-covered courtyard off the bar. And a bartender who fancies Edith Piaf CD's!

Scarlett Jan 12th, 2005 05:19 PM

Or, go to Montreal and wander around and listen to people speaking French and pretend :)
elaine, how many hours til you leave?

Margaretlb Jan 12th, 2005 05:27 PM

Immediately start planing my next trip. After my last trip (October)I realized I'd have to go at least once a year so I've signed up for French lessons at the Alliance Francaise- first class tomorrow night! I also try to eat at LaBonne Soupe (NYC) at least once a month. I always buy mustard and honey while in Paris and enjoy it often once I'm back home. And I daydream an awful lot!

mendota98 Jan 12th, 2005 05:49 PM

I bought tons of soap, shampoo and chocolate while in Paris so throughout the day there is always a reminder.

==Mike

PatrickLondon Jan 13th, 2005 12:33 AM

It ought to be possible to get French radio stations on the internet, not that I've ever tried..?

I have been known to listen to the BBC on the internet when abroad and homesick.

PatrickLondon Jan 13th, 2005 12:34 AM

http://www.radiofrance.fr

Keren Jan 13th, 2005 01:32 AM

I watch French tv - news, some talk shows (presented by some tres sexy French men), makes me feel a bit like I'm there now.
Read "Le Monde" on the internet.
Take private lessons twice a month.
Pick up French baroque operas whenever they broadcast them on tv and hope that one day I'll get to experience one of them live at the Garnier.
Plan my next trip, which will take place in just over 3 months. Yes!

mamc Jan 13th, 2005 05:19 AM

We always have a trip to Paris on the horizon and, when I am in need of a fix, I work on the next trip. When really desperate, we go to Patisserie Poupon in Georgetown, DC, about 3 blocks from home and have a petite dejuner Francais and buy some macarons to take home.

P_M Jan 13th, 2005 05:27 AM

Easy--buy a plane ticket. I'm leaving Saturday. :-))

ezlivin Jan 13th, 2005 05:37 AM

"Easy--buy a plane ticket. I'm leaving Saturday."

I agree. The best way not to go cold turkey.

gomiki Jan 13th, 2005 05:57 AM

I go to www.abcparislive.com and up pops the Eiffel Tower. Then I click on Outdoor sights and click on the first picture. I can see what the weather is and watch the lights sparkle on the Tower every hour starting at 11:00 AM or 12 noon my time. I leave it on my computer all day at work and flip over to it. That's my main "fix". And of course reading the posts of others about Paris.

jeffwill4you Jan 13th, 2005 06:46 AM

We talk about all the things we did while we were there, Laugh at the things we did wrong, but most of all
we know we're going back in may so we're planning our return and that makes us Smile.

SuzieC Jan 13th, 2005 07:25 AM

Books.. books and books.. movies when I can get them...Le Journal newscast on PBS at 6:00 p.m. I cook. Webcams are terrific. Get "France" magazine delivered. Get Adrian Leeds newletter everyday.. and of course, "here". THEN I daydream.

gomiki Jan 13th, 2005 07:31 AM

SuzieC: What is Adrian Leeds newsletter?

Beatchick Jan 13th, 2005 10:00 AM

I post my stuff on Virtual Tourist (www.virtualtourist.com/beatchick) and watch French movies (I drive my kids NUTS! - &quot;oh can't we watch <u>Am&eacute;lie</u> again?&quot;, I talk about it with friends, I help people with travel plans.

Incidentally, Sally Fowler &amp; I are among the Top 5 Paris tipsters on Virtual Tourist! Sally is NUMBER 2!! You all should go look at &amp; rate her stuff to boost her to #1.
www.virtualtourist.com/shrimp56

You can see the Top 5 list here:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/18308/

Go Sally!!