Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How do you find Cyber Cafes in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-you-find-cyber-cafes-in-paris-75912/)

meg Jun 13th, 2000 05:33 AM

How do you find Cyber Cafes in Paris?

How do you find Cyber Cafes in Paris? And, once you've found them, exactly how do they work?

s.fowler Jun 13th, 2000 05:49 AM

Here's a list: http://netcafeguide.com/france3.html#PARI <BR> <BR>Usually you pay for an hour in advance... depends on the place. You will be able to access your email accounts through the web or telnet, depending on the account. Many of us use a hotmail or yahoo account which allows us to access other POP mail accounts through them.

herself Jun 13th, 2000 06:21 AM

Even if you are a fast typer, French computers have a different keyboard. Drove me crazy. Therefore you need more time that you do with a keyboard you are familiar with.

julie Jun 13th, 2000 09:06 PM

Last summer, I used cybercafes in Germany and Italy and the keyboards are all different. I went to a cybercafe in <BR>in Greve (Tuscany) a few times and I <BR>used 3 different keyboards. I am a fairly fast typist, but it was a <BR>little frustrating having keys in <BR>different places each time, not to mention <BR>umlauts etc. So be prepared, that things <BR>may not be the same as what you are <BR>used to. Someone is usually there to <BR>help if you get stuck. A suggestion: you <BR>may want to access your email from a remote before you leave as it will be a little different. <BR>I was glad that I called ISP before I left for Europe as they <BR>gave some pertinent information.

Em Jun 14th, 2000 11:36 AM

I just happen to be at the clickside cafe in paris, 14 rue dumat, 5th arr., 01 56 81 03 00. have plenty of english keyboards, nice atmosphere--like a quiet well venitilated street level office. only edible items are sodas. there are others too. try phone book or a travel guide for more. my hotel had a list of them & thats how i discovered this place. paris is great by the way. have fun.

Norm Jun 14th, 2000 02:09 PM

Was in Paris for a week this past May; I just inquired at my hotel front desk and found a great cafe (Cafe Orbital, 6th arr, Rue Monsieur le Prince). They had almost all new Imacs, standard (English) keyboards, and charged 30F for 30 minutes (the minimum charge) plus 1F per min thereafter. I would recommend you use one of the browser-based mail systems (hotmail, etc.) as all the cafes will have some browser installed. I was able to send off all the emails I wanted in less than 20 min (helps to copy and paste when sending to different folks!) Have fun, and whatever you do, don't spend too much time in cyber cafes: you paid that much money to be there -- go enjoy Paris!

Christina Jun 16th, 2000 01:09 PM

I like Cafe Orbital also, I always use them. You can find various lists of Paris cybercafes if you just use a search engine with those two terms. Anyway, I've used quite a few there and other cities and have never been asked to pay for an hour in advance, I've always paid when done and they note how much time you've spent on their log. Some have a minimum of maybe a half hour, but I've never seen a minimum of an hour, either. The Webbar is cool in the 3rd arrondisement (www.webbar.fr, I think). I see you have an AOL account so you might want to find one with AOL access (although now you can read your mail anywhere). The Orbitol does, as well as some others. However, it's in French but shouldn't be that hard to figure out as the screen etc is familiar (ie, sign on as a guest, you sign on as "invitee",), an instant message is un "eclair" I think, which is sort of cute (means flash of lightning). There's a new one across bd StMichel across from Luxembourg Gardens called Luxembourg Micro who has AOL, and there's the Cafe Latino near there also (a Latin cybercafe, who knows, this is the year of Latino in Paris, I think, eat tapas while surfing the net). Here are ones I've come across that I think good for location and services: <BR>Webbar, 3rd arr. (www.webbar.fr) <BR>Cafe Orbital, 6th (www.cafeorbital.com) <BR>Luxembourg Micro, 5th (www.luxembourg-micro.com) <BR>Cybercafelatino, 6th (www.cybercafelatino.com) <BR>Orbital and Luxembourg have AOL, you kind of only need that if you want to use IMs, but I like IMing people back home when I'm abroad. I've never seen a machine with AIM installed, so don't count on that, although some have ICQ. For real internet/email addicts, I actually know of a cyberhotel in Paris that is reasonably priced and in the 17th near the Arc, all rooms have internet access through a keyboard and use of the TV (I think that's like WEBtv).

John Jun 21st, 2000 03:26 PM

We'll be driving in France for 3 weeks and I want to send digital photos back home. Can I do this from a cypercafe? I see that there are many throughout France.