Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how do you deal with lost luggage if you're staying in an apartment? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-you-deal-with-lost-luggage-if-youre-staying-in-an-apartment-779094/)

dina4 Apr 14th, 2009 07:41 PM

how do you deal with lost luggage if you're staying in an apartment?

i hope this isn't a dumb questions,

and

i hope i'm not jinxing myself,

but in our travels over the years, we've had a few cases of delayed luggage arrivals. this will be the first time we are staying in an apartment in a city we are flying into. lost or late luggage can be delivered to a hotel anytime, but what if you're staying in an apartment? You don't want to have to stick around and wait for the luggage , as it can arrive any time, right? 6 hours later or the next day, etc?
has anyone had to deal with this before?

thanks!
dina

Grassshopper Apr 14th, 2009 07:55 PM

When this happened to me in Rome the airline called me and gave me a reasonable window of time that the luggage would arrive. It was Alitalia. They also gave me an emergency overnight package with toiletries and a t-shirt.

Grassshopper Apr 14th, 2009 07:56 PM

I should add, the delivery guy wouldn't carry my suitcase up the 5 floors to my apartment. :-)

zoecat Apr 14th, 2009 08:11 PM

A very good question and perhaps one that some people may not consider and plan for.

Make sure you have the apartment address, directions to location and the owner/contact name and phone number available for the airline. Also, if you have a cell phone, you can give this number to the airline.

Cathinjoetown Apr 14th, 2009 08:18 PM

If at all possible, take only carry-on but this isn't always feasible.

The airlines USUALLY know where your luggage is in the system by the time you get to the service desk to report your luggage missing. They often can give you a delivery time at that point. Be sure to leave the airport with your claim form with all key information--ID number, baggage claim check, phone number to contact them, etc.

If at all possible, give them a cell phone number as well as the apartment's telephone number so that they can contact you without you're being tied to the apartment.

Once the luggage is in the hands of the delivery service, they usually phone to advise you they are on the way. Of course, you can't 100% count on any of this so I would check with the airline starting about an hour before the estimated delivery time they gave you.

A very few apartments have live-in concierges or service desks. It's worth asking when you rent as the luggage could be left there.

Also, we've all been in situations where one person's luggage arrives and the others' doesn't. Although we both complain about it, my DH and I now split our clothes between two suitcases if we are checking luggage.

janisj Apr 14th, 2009 10:34 PM

"<i>You don't want to have to stick around and wait for the luggage , as it can arrive any time, right?</i>" You will have to hang around (another reason to try carry on only) but as mentioned above, once the bags are located the airline can usually give you a 2 or 3 hour delivery window.

zeppole Apr 14th, 2009 10:39 PM

What country are you going to? Here in Italy, if the delivery man doesn't find you at home, he leaves your stuff with somebody else! Simple. That's how I met the car repairman in the garage down the street. He had my Fed-ex. He flagged me down on my way to the store later the same day. (One of the reasons why it's good not to try to "blend in" in Italy. They watch out for you.)

Carlux Apr 14th, 2009 11:40 PM

Also talk to the person from whom you are renting. I have several times had luggage delivered to me for people staying in our houses. At least that way there is someone who can speak the language of the delivery person. And since I'm not usually out touring, as our guests are, there's more of a chance that I will be at home. Maybe you'll find the person you are renting from can help you out if this happens.

dina4 Apr 15th, 2009 09:19 AM

Wow. That all is fantastic advice.

I will contact Vacation in Paris for advice.
I'll also make sure I have all the address/contact info etc.

Thanks so much!!!
dina