How do we get from Rome to Tuscany?

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do we get from Rome to Tuscany?

I could use some help with the logistics of my Italy trip. We're flying into Rome on a Sunday morning and making our way to Tuscany. We're staying three nights each in Montalcino and Greve in Chianti.

We plan to have a rental car in Tuscany, so where should we pick it up? I'm leary about getting the car in Rome and driving several hours to Tuscany after an overnight plane trip (I never sleep on planes!). Does anyone know of the closest town to either Greve or Montalcino that would have a rental car outpost (ie. we could train there from Rome then pick up the car and drive to our final destination)?

The rest of the trip will be spent on the Amalfi Coast, where we don't intend to have a car. So we'll need to drop the car somewhere in Tuscany and train to AC.

I have considered the option of spending the first day in Rome, getting a good night's rest and starting fresh the next day, but I'm anxious to get right to our destination if possible! Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:19 PM
rex

Just go straight to Florence, if for noother reason than the comfort/speed of the Eurostar. Only 95 minutes from Rome. You wouldn't want any less nap than that.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Lool for a flight direct to Peretola airport in Florence.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Another alternative would be to pick up the car at the Rome airport, but don't try to drive all the way to Montalcino. You could spend one night somewhere like Orvieto.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:05 PM

I can't make sense of taking the train to Florence if your goal is Montalcino. Nor does it make sense to hassle coming into Rome for only one night.

I would push my reservations back one day so I could just pick up the rental car at FCO and drive to Orvieto for the first night.