Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How do we get from London to Norway cheap? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-we-get-from-london-to-norway-cheap-13038/)

Dennis Holland Feb 5th, 1997 08:17 PM

How do we get from London to Norway cheap?

Cheap tickets can be bought in London at travel offices called bucket shops. Don't know the particulars as I have only read about them in travel guides. Try "Let's Go Europe" or Rick Steeves, "Europe Through the Back Door," for more information. There are also ships that connect England with Norway. I believe it is a 12-14 hr. trip. Some are included with Eurail or Scanrail passes.
Dennis Holland

Lanny Morry Feb 6th, 1997 05:50 AM

Your cheapest route is by ferry. Once in London get yourself to Victoria station and get information from there about ferries departing from the port of Harwich (pronounced Harritch, just so the locals understand you!). A good travel agent here may be able to help you so that you're not flying blind when you hit England. There are a number of daily train departures from Victoria station to Harwich, the main port from whence a number of ferries sailing the North Sea depart. I am taking a ferry myself from there to Copenhagen in July. Cost is miniscule compared to flights (all short haul flights in Europe cost the earth) -- running a couple of hundred dollars return. If you are going to use BritRail during your English part of the visit, buy your BritRail pass in North America -- it will cost considerably less than it will over there (which is how they keep the locals from enjoying cheaper trips). If your train to Harwich is your only train trip then you might as well buy the ticket there, but be prepared for the shock of the cost of what is a relatively short train trip. All this said, you can get to Norway, so enjoy!

Lanny Morry Feb 6th, 1997 05:53 AM

Your cheapest route is by ferry. Once in London get yourself to Victoria station and get information from there about ferries departing from the port of Harwich (pronounced Harritch, just so the locals understand you!). A good travel agent here may be able to help you so that you're not flying blind when you hit England. There are a number of daily train departures from Victoria station to Harwich, the main port from whence a number of ferries sailing the North Sea depart. I am taking a ferry myself from there to Copenhagen in July. Cost is miniscule compared to flights (all short haul flights in Europe cost the earth) -- running a couple of hundred dollars return. If you are going to use BritRail during your English part of the visit, buy your BritRail pass in North America -- it will cost considerably less than it will over there (which is how they keep the locals from enjoying cheaper trips). If your train to Harwich is your only train trip then you might as well buy the ticket there, but be prepared for the shock of the cost of what is a relatively short train trip. All this said, you can get to Norway, so enjoy!

Lanny Morry Feb 7th, 1997 08:17 AM

As an addendum to my message of yesterday, my friend in Copenhagen tells me that cheap flights out of Britain are in fact available using smaller English airlines which fly out of Stanstead airport near Cambridge. He is going to England in March to attend the Crufts dog show and his return airfare in Canadian dollars is $300 (roughly $240 U.S.) Stanstead is readily accessible by bus and train from London.

Mary Baldwin Mar 19th, 1997 10:34 AM

If you haven't already booked your flight to London, you may want to get a rountrip ticket to Oslo on British Airways. This will most likely give you a stop-over in London, in which case, you can arrange to fly on to Oslo several days later. Basically, it's a way to get to two destinations on one airline ticket.