Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do they grow the grass on the soccer stadium in Paris

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Mike

At the stadium the grass grows up at a steep angle (45 degrees). How is that done?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:19 PM
rrr

Uhhhh, dirt, grass seed and water? Questions is, now do they mow it?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Vincent

First, it's not a soccer stadium, it's an indoor arena, called Palais Omnisport de Palais Bercy. And second, as the grass growing is concerned, err... I don't know, all I remember is that, when the POPB opened in the 80s, there were zillions articles in the French press about the prowess of succeeding in growing grass at such a steep angle. Obviously, there must be some trick. Maybe you could find out more on the POPB's website.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:25 AM
xxx

Geez... doesn't a 45 deg angle gives one side a big advantage? Or do they spin the pitch to give the other side the centrifugal force?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:59 AM
PatrickW

If I recall correctly, grass has no problem growing on quite steep hillsides without much help. Once the roots have taken, the only problem is ensuring the grass isn't worn away by feet or washed away by rain.<BR><BR>I do recall that when Stoke on Trent was busy reclaiming old mine slagheaps decades ago, they made sure of grassing them over by pegging down the turves for a few weeks. <BR><BR>