Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do the rooms at the Hotel San Carlo compare to Casa Howard?

Jul 26th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Last time in Rome we stayed at the del Senato and loved it, but we have decided to try a different area this time. We have narrowed it down to these 2 hotels near the Sapnish Steps. We do not mind walking up some stairs if the room is nice and if someone is able to help with luggage. I read the San Carlo may have an elevator soon. Does anyone have their direct e-mail address?

Thanks
Diane
Jul 26th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 27th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Hi teach

I am booked at the San Carlo 9/13-22. I have a single w/terrace reserved. It is in the main bldg, on the top floor. The main bldg does not have a working elevator and the hotel was very clear about that when I booked. The annex does have an elevator, but I'm not sure what the difference in rooms is.

If your trip is after mine, I'm happy to let you know about the hotel when I return. If your trip is the same time as mine, let's share some wine

Here's the link:

[email protected]

eve
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,

We're leaving in October. Let me know what you think.

Diane
Jul 29th, 2003, 07:10 AM

I stayed at the San Carlo in May 2002 and it was great. Rooms are spartan (as opposed to what I believe are antique, Victorian style rooms with carpeting, etc. at the Casa Howard). At the time I went, there was no elevator but there was someone around who brought the bags up for us (we felt horrible b/c we were on the uppermost floor!). Location is excellent and the reception desk, especially a woman by the name of Rosanna, were very sweet. A real deal.
Our room even had a little fridge, and we were lucky enough to have th terrace, with views of the San Carlo church to our left, and the Spanish Steps in the distance to our right. The absolutely only complaint was that every morning we were awakended quite early by the sounds of chatty hotel staff preparing the breakfast table (no matter where they were relative to our room, the echo permeated throughout the hotel!). But this is very little compared to the totality of our experience and the great price.

Tonia
Jul 29th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Hi teach,

I was shocked to find some really poor reviews of Casa Howard here on the forum the other day. Maybe you should check these previous posts out before booking. I had recently read wonderful things about Casa Howard in a travel magazine, but people who'd recently been from this forum seemed most unhappy with their accomodations. Anyway, it's worth checking it out.

Good luck!
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Tonianyc ~ do you remember your room #? I'm booked for a top floor room w/terrace. Can you recommend any particular room?

Thanks,

Mizz Eve