Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How do People dress in Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-people-dress-in-italy-646126/)

luvitaly Sep 12th, 2006 01:57 PM

How do People dress in Italy?

Hi All,
I have read that Venetians dress up all the time. We are going to Venice, Rome, Florence & Amalfi Coast. I have seen comments, I think on this forum where the Italians comment on our white shoes(sneakers). They are the most comfortable shoes I have & with all the walking we will be doing, was planning on wearing them most of the time. Also what about wearing jeans-
even black ones? If we were to dress in our normal casual clothes (comfortable) will we stand out as tourists? Do they dress differently in different area or cities? Thanks for all the help you all have given us. Rose

SeaUrchin Sep 12th, 2006 02:19 PM

On this forum it is usually the Americans commenting on our own shoes! The horrible "white shoes".
My vote is don't worry about it, wear them except for the nicer restaurants at night. Wear the jeans. Dress in your normal casual clothes. People will know you are not a local but so what? As long as you feel you look nice and at your casual best that is enough in my book.

LoveItaly Sep 12th, 2006 02:27 PM

Hi luvitaly, I always pack a pair of black jeans when I go to Italy. I know other women that always do also.
You can wear them to casual restaurants with an interesting shirt or sweater (I always pack a black shirt and black sweater), throw on a scarf and you will feel well dressed.

bellastarr Sep 12th, 2006 02:32 PM

Well, I just can't resist this one time.
Last Wednesday I was standing up at the entrance to to Via Capo Montagna road off of Via Capo in Sorrento- and along came a young woman on her Vespa, She wearing a Shiny White Pants suits (Capri pants, very tight fitting) and 4 inch spike heels, a pink blouse, many bracelets, and sunglasses under her helmet. It was fantastic to see her using those high heels to step/move the Vespa along in slow traffic.
The shoes... were white.
Then along came another Vespa with a Woman in her 60s, black head kerchief, apron, loose house dress, and flip flops. Then some young guys in hip hop below the knee shorts. Then one of my friends showed up wearing a sort of nighgownish looking dress that was cool and comfortable- with sneakers. (She is a local). I think you can get away with jeans. I think noone will notice much.

ucsun Sep 12th, 2006 02:34 PM

don't worry about it. they can spot tourists a mile away...your facial features will give it away. you can spot tourists when you see them where you live...they will do the same. the guide book also is a dead give away.

embrace being a tourist...dress like you want so you are comfy when you are enjoying their country. and you'll be suprised that all europeans don't dress up so well. i have seen plenty of stuff that you would have never thought of seeing.

btw, wear the comfy shoes because after a long hard day...who's gonna be in the hotel room to give your feet a massage.

flanneruk Sep 12th, 2006 02:38 PM

There's an astonishingly simple way to spot tourists in Venice.

They're the ones on two legs. Shopkeepers, hoteliers and restaurant staff apart, there simply isn't anyone else. And do you know how they're dressed?

Any way they damn well please.

DebDen79 Sep 12th, 2006 02:41 PM

When we were in Florence three years ago, there were so many American college students everywhere, ALL dressed in jeans. Of course, we were visiting our daughter, who was one of those students, so maybe that's all we saw! Like someone said, there's no way you won't look like a tourist--so just be comfortable. Just be sure to wear a smile, try to speak a little Italian, and no one will care what shoes you have on.
Deb

FauxSteMarie Sep 12th, 2006 03:01 PM

Tourists are obvious unless they speak both fluent Italian and Venetian dialect.

No one in Venice will care what you wear.

However, many fodors posters will attempt to dictate their version of proper attire on this thread.

LoveItaly Sep 12th, 2006 03:11 PM

Well amazingly so far no poster has!

Love your description of the young chick on the Vespa bellastar!!

RufusTFirefly Sep 12th, 2006 03:23 PM

About 60,000 people do live in historic Venice--though that number is dropping. They just don't hang around in the tourist areas a lot. Venice never had that large a permanent population in the first place--probably only about 150,000-160,000 or so at its height.

Tries2PakLite Sep 12th, 2006 04:50 PM

I just spent 4 days in Venice, you have nothing to worry about. Wear whatever you want -- shoes included. We saw a little bit of absolutely everything.

Be comfortable!
((c))

kenderina Sep 12th, 2006 05:45 PM

Believe me, they just open their wardrobe, pick a couple of things and wear them. Pretty much like everybody else :) Don't worry, just be confortable, your feet will let you know if you aren't :)

Dukey Sep 12th, 2006 06:24 PM

They're probably "well-dressed" because most of them are going to work, not on vacation.

Do NOT let anyone here try to convince you that you cannot wear jeans or any sort of denim in Europe..believe me, it is everywhere as well as every conceivable type of footware you can possibly imagine.

I have yet to read see "Italian" who actually lives there bother to post here about white shoes.

You are going to look pretty BAD (and feel worse)if you go over there in obviously uncomfortable clothes.

Do you honestly think that you "look" Italian? Do you really care? They don't!

FauxSteMarie Sep 12th, 2006 06:34 PM

Dukey, I couldn't agree with you more. I think some of these discussions are just so much nonsense and mislead people into thinking there is some sort of required uniform for Europe. You can wear whatever you like. The only time I get dressed up is if I am going to a fancy schmancy restaurant (as in one with Michelin stars and the like).

Everyone knows that tourists do not bring their entire wardrobe because they cannot. Thus, casual dress is acceptable in theaters and many restaurants. I will not attempt to define "casual dress". That you define for yourself.

It is basically no different than it is in the US or Canada.

Wildman Sep 12th, 2006 06:49 PM

Spent 2 weeks in Italy and I must say they do like to dress up. Saw women walking on high hills that were scarey, and I'm fearless.
It is nice though to dress up since we don't seem to have many occasions to do so. Upon arrive back in the states I can honestly say that I thought I was in "ragged clothes world".
Women in cut off jeans and t shirts and men dressed like they were going fishing ...and I was at the Atlanta airport.
The men in Italy spend more on their clothes than the women do according to mens fashion magazines. You will not find too many over weight Italians. They must eat diet pasta and drink diet wine or something. I really think their lifestyle keeps them trim.Lastly , American women are the most kind and beautiful creatures God has made , especially Texans. and Georgia girls, Flordia.... So enjoy yourself, but "I" feel black pants are just as comfortable as blue jeans and make a statement. Remember when in Rome,,,,,,,

Wildman Sep 12th, 2006 07:00 PM

And yes please don't wear white tennis shoes. The pics you take will be seen by friends. Try some black Scetchers or brown, green, anything but white...unless of course you ARE playing tennis

keymom Sep 13th, 2006 02:12 AM

One leg at a time?

bellastarr Sep 13th, 2006 03:09 AM

My thought this morning is that if an Italian wears a pair of jeans and walks down the street next to an American tourist wearing a pair of jeans, it will be dead easy to spot the tourist (or the Italian for that matter) every single time. It's all about attitude and body language, and has less to do with the choice of garments.

The local population of Venice is dropping because unfortunately the government spends most of their budget on tourist facilities instead of the local infrastructure, such as schools and housing. So it gets harder and harder to have and raise a family. Even street vendors must compete with businesses owned by foreign interests. (This is an informed opinion expressed by a friend who works for a non profit organiztion dedicated to saving fragile Venice from the ravages of time and pressures of the tourist industry.)

ira Sep 13th, 2006 03:44 AM

Hi L,

Wear what you would usually wear if you were going to a large US city.

You can wera the same clothes in F,V and R. No one will notice.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))
PS: You can dye your sneakers black.

FauxSteMarie Sep 13th, 2006 06:16 AM

Author: luvitaly
Date: 09/12/2006, 05:57 pm
Hi All,
I have read that Venetians dress up all the time. We are going to Venice, Rome, Florence & Amalfi Coast. I have seen comments, I think on this forum where the Italians comment on our white shoes(sneakers). They are the most comfortable shoes I have & with all the walking we will be doing, was planning on wearing them most of the time. Also what about wearing jeans-
even black ones? If we were to dress in our normal casual clothes (comfortable) will we stand out as tourists? Do they dress differently in different area or cities? Thanks for all the help you all have given us. Rose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: SeaUrchin
Date: 09/12/2006, 06:19 pm
On this forum it is usually the Americans commenting on our own shoes! The horrible "white shoes".
My vote is don't worry about it, wear them except for the nicer restaurants at night. Wear the jeans. Dress in your normal casual clothes. People will know you are not a local but so what? As long as you feel you look nice and at your casual best that is enough in my book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: LoveItaly
Date: 09/12/2006, 06:27 pm
Hi luvitaly, I always pack a pair of black jeans when I go to Italy. I know other women that always do also.
You can wear them to casual restaurants with an interesting shirt or sweater (I always pack a black shirt and black sweater), throw on a scarf and you will feel well dressed.

Author: bellastarr
Date: 09/12/2006, 06:32 pm
Well, I just can't resist this one time.
Last Wednesday I was standing up at the entrance to to Via Capo Montagna road off of Via Capo in Sorrento- and along came a young woman on her Vespa, She wearing a Shiny White Pants suits (Capri pants, very tight fitting) and 4 inch spike heels, a pink blouse, many bracelets, and sunglasses under her helmet. It was fantastic to see her using those high heels to step/move the Vespa along in slow traffic.
The shoes... were white.
Then along came another Vespa with a Woman in her 60s, black head kerchief, apron, loose house dress, and flip flops. Then some young guys in hip hop below the knee shorts. Then one of my friends showed up wearing a sort of nighgownish looking dress that was cool and comfortable- with sneakers. (She is a local). I think you can get away with jeans. I think noone will notice much.

Author: ucsun
Date: 09/12/2006, 06:34 pm
don't worry about it. they can spot tourists a mile away...your facial features will give it away. you can spot tourists when you see them where you live...they will do the same. the guide book also is a dead give away.

embrace being a tourist...dress like you want so you are comfy when you are enjoying their country. and you'll be suprised that all europeans don't dress up so well. i have seen plenty of stuff that you would have never thought of seeing.

btw, wear the comfy shoes because after a long hard day...who's gonna be in the hotel room to give your feet a massage.

Author: flanneruk
Date: 09/12/2006, 06:38 pm
There's an astonishingly simple way to spot tourists in Venice.

They're the ones on two legs. Shopkeepers, hoteliers and restaurant staff apart, there simply isn't anyone else. And do you know how they're dressed?

Any way they damn well please.

Author: DebDen79
Date: 09/12/2006, 06:41 pm
When we were in Florence three years ago, there were so many American college students everywhere, ALL dressed in jeans. Of course, we were visiting our daughter, who was one of those students, so maybe that's all we saw! Like someone said, there's no way you won't look like a tourist--so just be comfortable. Just be sure to wear a smile, try to speak a little Italian, and no one will care what shoes you have on.
Deb

Author: FauxSteMarie
Date: 09/12/2006, 07:01 pm
Tourists are obvious unless they speak both fluent Italian and Venetian dialect.

No one in Venice will care what you wear.

However, many fodors posters will attempt to dictate their version of proper attire on this thread.

Author: LoveItaly
Date: 09/12/2006, 07:11 pm
Well amazingly so far no poster has!

Perhaps no one has because DJKBooks is currently on vacation in France.