How do our 2 days in Athens sound?

Sep 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

How do our 2 days in Athens sound?

We are leaving soon (21st) for our 15 day Greece/Italy trip from Canada

I need to firm up our Sept 28/29 days in Athens....we arrive on the 28th at 7h15 am and we leave on the 3oth at 9h00 am....

On the 28th....we will drop of our stuff at the hotel and likely will be ready at 10h00 am...i was thinking we would go up Lykavittos Hill.....and have lunch at the top (how much time do people usually devote to this?) Afterwards, we would spend the afternoon in the Monastriraki Market.....and maybe have dinner in Psiri...any recommendations???

On the 29th...wake up early and go to Parthenon/Acropolis (same place right?)...do we need tickets...is this a do on your own or should we get a tour.....how much time is spent here (in general).....in the afternoon the plaka (is this close by?) and for dinner/evening, we were thinking the Brettos distillary in Plaka (do we need reservations?)

How does this sound.....is the market/hill close by....am I missing anything major other then the museum?
Sep 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

The temple of olypian zeus.....should this be added to the 28th or 29th (i.e. closer to which other sites)...do you need a ticket or is this more of a walk up and take pictures?
Sep 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Don't miss the Benaki museum

http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?lang=en
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM

In my humble opinion, forget the Monastariki flea market... it gets promoted a lot but it has outrun its reputation .. most of the "genuine articles" are household goods, tables, chairs stuff like that which are not of interest to touristsm --- and the rest of the stuff is touristic -- T shirts, souvenirs.

Instead, as casnova says, go from your hotel (it would HELP if you told us where you are staying) and try the Benaki Museum. It's not overwhelming like the Nat. Arch. museum... it does 5,000 years of greek history in a flash --- and just a few examples of each era... I went there for the first time in May, on my 8th trip and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. PLUS it has a lovely place to lunch. OR -- walk thru the Ntional Gardens and there's a neat little cafe to lunch in... just sandwiches of course. If we knew where u are staying we could make better suggtestions.

If you wanted, you could go upto Lyvettus hill at 5 pm when sun is lower, for a drink and the veiw, and then decide if you wanted to dine there, Dinner in places like Psirri starts very late, are you late-night folk? About BRettos... that's just a drop-n place, a shop where u can drink. No reservationss.

About ancient sites -- you get a ticket for 6 of them 12 E ... get a map and look and see what's close, they're all within walking distance of one another... and you can't drive much anyway because many streets are pedestrianized. DO look at a map don't just ask here is one: http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm (to print, put paper on horizontal mode, print in COLOR, only page 3). All the sites are printed on there
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Hi

Yes I agree, the flea market is ho hum. A short walk from there is the Central Market which is far more interesting in my opinion. However if you want to check out the flea market what I suggest you can do is walk through it and make your way to the entrance of the Agora. You can then proceed up to the Acropolis. Luckily for you the new museum has recently opened - http://www.newacropolismuseum.gr/eng/. The Benaki Museum is quite interesting but I still believe the National Museum is a must see in Athens.
The Plaka is at the base of the Acropolis and neighbours Monastiraki. You'll find that in terms of sightseeing Athens is quite compact and the main sites are within walking distance of each other.
Sep 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM

I agree with the other thoughts here: skip the flea market. Devote an entire morning or afternoon to the National Museum. I really don't think that you should miss it on a trip to Athens. The New Parthenon Museum is also something that you MUST see. Do it immediately after the Parthenon. Parthenon is better in the late afternoon--much less touristed. Plan for about 1 hour there. You have a ton of time not accounted for in your current itinerary! The Benaki is an option and the Ancient Agora would also be a good addition.
Sep 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, we are staying at the hilton athens

so more confused then anything now.....

hill at dusk, does sound like a better idea....

I guess since we have lots of time, we will just walk around without a set itinerary and make sure we see everything I mentioned in those 2 days....
Sep 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM

If you will just check the hilton website I am sure it has a map showing where it is in relation to the Plaka... it's outside the plaka district, but I heard that the hilton has a shuttle bus that goes all day going to plaka. Don't wait until you get there to look at a map ... it will help you stay oriented. You CAN get lost and wander forever in quaint small lanes... lots of fun, but it may keep you from gettng to the sites you want. Just mark up a map with a highlighter.
Sep 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Aside from any hotel shuttle, the Airport Express Bus X95 stops at the Hilton on the way to and from the Airport and Syntagma Square in the center of town.
Sep 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM

I actually enjoyed the Monastiraki flea market, lots of interesting vintage things, and it made for some colorful photos. But if I remember correctly, it is on Sunday only.

I found that the restaurants in Psirri and elsewhere in Athens were open early enough to eat at a "non-Greek" hour. They became more crowded as the evening wore on.

The ancient agora was a highlight for me, walking in the footsteps of Socrates and imagining life in the time of Plato's Academy.
Sep 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!

brotherleelove2004......how does it work for the express bus (i.e. cost/how long would it take/how often does it leave/do i need to buy tickets or pay bus driver/where do I take it

vs. approx how much would a taxi cost?
Sep 16th, 2009, 03:34 AM

A taxi from the airport to Syntagma Square area of Athens is about 35 euros.

Thin gives the Benaki Museum and the Ilias Lalaounis Jewellery Museum thumbs up.

I also like to sit at a cafe in Kolonaki Square and watch all the beautiful people walk by.

Bring your Prada sunglasses, sweetie darling.

Thin
Sep 16th, 2009, 07:35 AM

There's also a metro now.. but I have no info. The bus was only a few euros and the ticket was good for all of Athens later. maybe I bought a one day pass or something.. hope someone helps you out. (But this was before the metro to airport was inaugurated.)

If you click on my name and go to my trip reports you will find my Athens/Hydra report on page 2. Prices are obsolete, but nothing else should be!
Sep 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

so I finally looked at a map....

let's say I leave the hilton at around 10h00 am....walk torwards the Monastiraki Street Market (1h00)....then I to to Ancient Agora (1h00), then break somewhere for lunch, ideas?.....then to Acropolis (1h00) and then to Temple of Olympian Zeus (1h00)....it seems this would be a good walking route and all feasible....I figure at this point, it will be close to 5-6 pm and I was thinking either going up Lykavittos Hill or going into Plaka for a beer at famous Brettos and then dinner somewhere (ideas)? We might then call it a night or go to Cine Paris

Next day.....

Really not sure...seems like we covered everything we wanted to see (we decided no on the museums)....so maybe go up the hill if we did not previous night...and spend more time in the Agora...maybe hang out a bit at the Hilton Pool....walk in the National Gardens...
Sep 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Sounds like you have a plan working. Some of the Plaka sites such as the Roman and Ancient Agoras and Hadrians Library are grouped close together and are a short walk from the Acropolis so you may want to do more in this area before you head off to museums. By the way I also endorse a visit to Ahens Central Market. An amazing experience and just a 5 minute walk from the Monistraki metro stop.
We have visited Brettos and it is a distillery so it sells hard stuff like Ouzo and no food so an empty stomach is not a good idea when you arrive. I did not see anything resembling beer there. For sure it is a great place to visit and have a drink but it is not like a pub.
I have some pictures of the Plaka area of Athens.
Brettos is picture 56 and 57. By the way when we went looking for it we asked several local people where it was and no one had ever heard of it. It turns out B is pronounced V in Greek so it is called Vrettos when spoken. That helped a lot.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570...djjHG?start=48
Sep 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Athens restaurant: Varoulko

Thin
Sep 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM

The only problem I see is that you arrive on a Monday, and the flea market is on Sundays. You can still walk through the area to get to the ancient agora but the flea market stands (and the crowds that visit them) won't be set up.
Sep 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

ok thanks, I thought there was still somethere there 7 days a week....I guess we walk in that area anyways so we will still go...but I agree that little time will be spent there then
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Hi again

The flea market is open every day of the week. Its merchandise seems to be mainly pitched at the tourist - jeans, shoes, T shirts, tacky souvenirs etc. The goods Nikki describes is available on Sundays.