Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do kids do on Trafalgar and Globus Tours in Europe?

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Vince

We want to take our kids with us on a 15 day Trafalgar tour of Europe (8 & 10). We believe this will be a educational and rewarding trip for them. They will see Rome, Venice, Vienna, Lucerne, Paris, and England. Do kids go on these tours (summer) and how do they do? Any parents who have done this, your response is very welcome.

Thanks,

Vince

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 09:16 AM
belle

Hi Vince! I have been on several Trafalgar tours, and I could be wrong on this, but I don't think they allow children under 14 on their tours. I also wouldn't recommend it. The bus rides can be very long, and if Trafalgar does allow kids, most likely they would be the only ones. If I were you, I would see a tour company that does "family tours" that caters to adults and well as children.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:08 PM
sandy

With all the information available on line, as well this Forum, it's SO easy to plan an independent trip, which your children may enjoy much, much more as you can intersperse 'fun' things for them with the educational and cultural things. Just my 2 cents

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Marj

I haven't done a tour like that but have taken my kids (about same ages) to europe twice for 10 day trips that I planned myself. One was Paris/Amsterdam (we took a train between cities). The other was Italy, where we started in Venice, rented a Car and worked our way down to Rome. My kids loved these trips. I think they are well worth it. We generally rented the audio tours at specific sites and did a lot of our own exploring. I don't know much about these tours but that sounds like a lot of moving around in 15 days with 2 kids. I would check out with whichever tour you might choose, how much time is spent traveling, how much time is spent in each city in between packing, unpacking, and settling in, how much free time will you have on your own and are meals with the group. We always tried to focus our site-seeing to our kids interests and left down time to hang out in a park and take it easy. They (and I) can get quite burned-out with lots of site-seeing, especially in big museum cities like Paris.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:20 PM
john g

Ummm, Belle, I think you are wrong. I have been on two Trafalgar Tours, and there were children on both under 14. On a tour of Italy and Greece, there were 3 children and none were older than 10. These children were very well behaved and seemed to be having a good time. Children are very well-received in Italy and Greece because they are both family-oriented countries. Vince, how your children do on these trips is up to you and them. Do they want to go? Tours can be very hectic with stringent itineraries. There might not be alot of time available to do "kid things." You will also spend alot of time on the tour bus travelling between cities. The children may become restless because of this. Vienna to London is a lllooooonnnnnnggggggg time riding on a bus. Been there.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Julie

I took my child on two trafalgar tours to Europe. The first was the 11 day Italy tour when she was 6 and the next was the 14 day Spain/Portugal tour at age 7. She loved both trips and was well-behaved on them.

The tour guide went out of his way to help us out, explained what to expect and even recommended extra things for us to do.

She was the only child on the Spain trip but there was a 13 year old boy and his 15 year old sister on the Italy trip. The parents of these two kids said they had a few minor quarrels but we never saw them. They seemed very well behaved and happy on the tour just like my child.

Trafalgar makes a point of never traveling more than 3 hours at a time without a stop. And we were only on the bus once for longer than 4 hours...that included a break after 2 hrs.

My child slept on the bus. If your kids fall asleep in cars, they should be more refreshed than you because they will have plenty of cat naps.

I thought that the trip with Trafalgar was great. We intended on going to Germany this winter with them and taking my child again...she will be 9 this year, but I am concerned about traveling because of WTC.

FYI Globus also allows kids age 8 and up to take their tours.

If you want to ask me any more questions, just post them and I will respond as soon as I can.
I have traveled several times with my child to different countries and within USA. Sometimes we take tours and sometimes we go on our own. I like tours, I like leaving the driving and responsiblities to others, and I find that we get to see more stuff on tours.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 01:21 PM
diane

We took our children at 8 and 10 to Europe several years ago: 6 nights in London, a week driving up to Edinburgh and back, and then a too-quick drive through the center of Europe where we saw Belgium, parts of Germany, Switzerland, and Paris. About 25 days in all. I think you have three trips in your request (especially for only 15 days!)--a trip to Rome, Venice and other parts of Italy, a trip to Lucerne,
Vienna and points in between, and a trip to Paris and London. You may feel, as we did, that this was a one-time only trip, but you still don't have to see everything on one trip. We also had a 14-year old AND MY MOTHER-IN-LAW! Soon after that we bought a new house and our children grew up and needed cars and college and weddings. Finally, a year ago, we went back to Europe, and I'm hoping to go again next year. My kids can see the rest of Europe on their own dimes.

I would think it would be much cheaper to rent a car or use limited Eurail passes and see 2 or 3 countries on your own, if you don't want to limit yourself to one. For example, see Switzerland, northern Italy and Austria. It's really easy to drive around in Europe (except in the British Isles, which takes a little getting used to).

I asked my daughter a few years after our trip (she was the 8-year-old) what she remembered of London. She remembered feeding pigeons! That's all!
Plan lots of activities that children will enjoy--not too many art galleries. We often stayed in small places ourside the cities (most of the time we travelled without reservations. Maybe that's not so practical now). Have fun planning!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Julie

Just thought of something else. My child liked the museums because she was short and could stand in front of everyone else.

Your kids should still be small enough that they can go in front of the tour group without blocking anyone's view. They will learn more than you can imagine.

Also, when you go to the Louvre make sure to rent the headset. It is great. One for each child should be plenty for the 4 of you. My daughter and I love to rent headsets at every museum we go to but were very impressed with the way the Louvre had their's computorized.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 02:07 PM
belle

Oops! My bad John--you are right. I think it is under 4 years old not 14. (heh heh) Like John said, it will depend on your kids. If they get ancy or have to be entertained all the time--don't do it! However, if they don't mind sitting for long periods of time (and for some children, 3 hours is a LONG time to just sit) and they don't need to be entertained then go with Trafalgar. They really do give great tours. But remember, there are time constraints, and you are going to have a hard time doing alot of things that focus on your children's interests. On the tours I have taken, in some places we were only in a town for 1-2 hours at the most. Personally, if I were you, I might go independent, but that's just my 3 cents.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Claire

I wouldn't recommend taking kids with a tour group. We went on a tour last summer with Globus and absolutely loved it. My only complaint was that one couple brought their nine or ten year old son. He was bored with the museums and started to get really obnoxious.

When you go with a tour group, you have to keep other people's feelings in mind. You may think that your child can handle the trip, but you aren't the only person affected if you turn out to be wrong.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 07:49 PM
lovetotravel

Vince, Looks like you posted a while back but there are recent responses here, so I will go ahead. I took my 13 and 16 yo on a 14 day Globus European tour a few years ago--along with my Mom and Dad. We started in London and went to Amsterdam, Germany, Venice, Lucern, and on to Paris. They were the only kids on the bus. The 16 yo did not want to go and leave her boyfriend! The other passengers LOVED the kids, and we all had a wonderful time. After the bus tour, we spend 1 week in Tours and Monaco with family. When we got home I asked them which was their favorite--They were both happy they went and enjoyed the BUS ride the best! We had a great driver and tour guide and really bonded as a group. The kids had no problem with the schedule and were up til midnight and wide awake and ready to go in the am. I would do it again in a FLASH! I think a tour is better with kids---much less to worry about yourself, and I have done independent travel too--

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 01:22 PM
belle

Remember though there is a HUGE difference between an 8 and 10 year old and a 13 and 16 year old! Apples and oranges in alot of ways!

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 04:53 PM
traveler

My husband and I took a Globus European tour several years ago (we didn't yet have kids, and there were no kids on our tour). It was great, but we wanted to do Europe independently the next time we went. That time finally came this year, and we now have four kids. We all went, and had a WONDERFUL time!!! If you do a search under "family travel", you will find our post giving a few more details of the trip. Basically, we rented a mini-van, and stayed in small villages with day trips to the bigger cities. And, we stayed in alternative accomodations rather than hotels (apartments, farm rentals, and a chalet). We'd do it again in a heartbeat! Much cheaper, much more adventurous, and (in our humble opinion) much more fun. Good luck!

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 03:51 PM
cathy

Two summers ago, we took our 3 children ages 15, 12, & 11 on a Globus tour of Europe. There were several families with children about the same age. While your children are younger, I imagine they would do fine. Because we were our own little group, we ate our meals together as a family and toured the sites as a family. At meal time, we typically ate by ourselves and did the kinds of things we typically do to entertain them at a restaurant (read books, play trivial pursuit, talk). On the bus, the boys slept, looked out the window, read, listened to tapes, or dare I admit it -- played gameboy. Because we were on the tour, we saw things I would not normally be able to convince the family to try. ("Sorry boys, that's where the bus stops.") After the tour, we spent an additional week touring Belgium by ourselves. We have also been to England several times on our own. While traveling on your own certainly has its advantages, so too does traveling with a tour group. We enjoyed the experience.