Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How do I get to Positano from Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-i-get-to-positano-from-rome-88644/)

Kimerley Oct 3rd, 2000 03:45 AM

How do I get to Positano from Rome?

Hope someone will help.. We are flying into Rome, staying 2 nights and then plan to travel to Positano. <BR>I have checked the train sites and know that I can train it from Rome to Naples. What is the quickest way of getting to Positano? <BR>Can we go directly from Rome?

jeff Oct 3rd, 2000 04:34 AM

Kimerly, <BR>Do you intend to drive or train it? If you take the train, its a bit convoluted. You change train lines in Naples, to go to Sorrento, then you take a bus to Positano. Conversely, you can take the train all the way to Salerno from Rome and then catch the bus northbound to Positano. There is no other way to get there, other than to drive. Pity the driver, as the Amalfi coast drive is all hairpin turns, however, as passenger, it is one of the most spectacular views you will ever see in your life! I don't recommend taking a taxi from Sorrento, only because of the way they drive, you would have a coronary attack before you got there. The bus is a safe and easy way to go, and Positano is a real gem. Have a great trip. <BR>

Elsa Oct 3rd, 2000 04:35 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>When we went to Positano in April, we took a limo that the hotel arranged for us. It was expensive ($100), but worth it. The driver was waiting for us when we arrived at the airport. His English was quite good, so he was able to tell us about various things along the way to the hotel (about 45min. drive). <BR> <BR>If you don't take a taxi/limo, I believe you would have to take a bus or train to Sorrento, and either stay on that bus or change to one that goes to Positano. There is no train all the way to Positano. If you travel this way, you will probably spend the whole day getting to Positano. <BR> <BR>I don't know the cost difference between the taxi and limo, but some of the cabs we were in were so-so --- especially in Naples. If it means you eat pizza for dinner a few nights to make up for the extra $$ that it would cost to hire a limo, I would do that. But then again, I like pizza and limos (I'm not often in one, by the way.) :)

Elsa Oct 3rd, 2000 04:55 AM

Hi again, <BR> <BR>I guess Jeff and I were responding to you at the same time. <BR> <BR>You do hear about the crazy drivers on the Amalfi drive, but both limos drivers we had (Nap-Pos & Pos-Nap) were very good. I guess with a $100 tab, they didn't have to rush for their next fare. You didn't mention when you will be in the Amalfi area, but if it is at a "touristy" time you won't have to worry about crazy drivers, b/c there will be so much traffic it will slow everyone down. <BR>

Nancy Oct 4th, 2000 04:41 PM

We are going in a couple of days. There is a bus from Rome to the Coast. It is Marozzi. 06-4076140 or 06-44249519 leaves Stazione Tiburtina. 3pm on weekdays, Fri, Sat and Sun 7am. Haven't tried it yet but it was on the fodors recommendation site.

Kimerley Oct 5th, 2000 03:44 AM

Many thanks for your replies. I will be travelling with 2 friends in June/July 2001. <BR>I was keen to experience a self drive trip to Positano from Rome, but my friends have witnessed my driving in Sydney!! <BR>We will train it from Rome and then bus it.We are thinking of staying in a convent whilst in Rome, so the money saved, could go towards a limo......

Dolores Oct 15th, 2000 01:35 PM

Take the limo. Several years ago in November, I took the train (more like a subway) from Naples with a girlfriend to some small town just before Sorrento as we were told a bus would take us to Positano from there. No buses when we got there. However, we met two other American girls on the train. When we finally got to this little town it was dark, 2 young men offered to carry our bags to a cab stand which was up a very steep road. We got a cab to take the four of us and all stayed in a lovely hotel, Ablbergo Albertina ??? Needless to say we took a limo back to Naples. <BR> <BR>By the way, Positano is wonderful - have a great time.