Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do I get to Hever Castle from Canterbury by rail??

Jun 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

and then get down to Portsmouth on the coast?
Anyone please.
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add Hever Castle is near Edenbridge, which is near Tunbridge Wells.
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM

You need to go to www.nationalrail.co.uk and punch in your information. The nearest station to Hever Castle is Hever, though you will get better service to Edenbridge; continuing on to Hever is a 20 minute walk from Edenbridge station to Edenbridge Town station, just for a four minute train hop.

From Canterbury you get a Southeastern train to Tonbridge, and thence to Edenbridge; if you can get off at Beech Bough, you'll save time, but I don't know if you can or not.

If you are traveling at odd hours you may have to change at Ashford International in between.

Continuing on to Portsmouth looks more difficult; all of the options that came up involved multiple transfers, some of them very strange (Gatwick? Croydon? Waterloo?). The best I found was Edenbridge to Redhill on the Southeastern, then Redhill to Barnham on the Southern, then Barnham to Portsmouth Harbour.

But you should put in your specific plans, because it really matters what day and time you are traveling.
Jun 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM

. . . and how many days you want to do this? If you mean to attempt Canterbury > Hever > Portsmouth on the same day - REALLY tough if you want any time to spend at Hever.
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Going across SE England by train is very, very difficult: the lines really radiate to and from London.

Your broad choices for getting to Portsmouth are:
- taxi to Gatwick, train every hour or so to Fratton, in suburban Portsmouth, taxi into town. Allow 2.5 hours from the time your taxi collects you to the time you get to Fratton, or
- train every hour or so from Hever to East Croydon, changing there for Fratton, then again a taxi into the centre. About three hours from the time you get to Hever to the time you arive at Fratton.

If you're, in effect, planning to go from a hotel in Canterbury to a hotel in Portsmouth, you need to check how easily luggage can be left at Hever. I'm not sure you can.