Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how do I get from terminal 1 to terminal 2 in Charles de Gaulle airport?

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi We are just about to leave for France, and we arrive in Charles de Gaulle airport at 7.20am, at Terminal 1 , we then need to get to Terminal 2F to catch a flight to Nice ,
The first flight we feel able to catch would be 9.30am, the next being 3.55pm.
We would prefer to leave on the earlier flight, but , not sure we will make it.
I have just discovered that a new procedure now lets you get through without going through customs, and somewhere I also saw you can check your bags all the way through to the end of your journey.
If we could do this I feel we could make the earlier flight, but I would love some information on how this works from someone who has done this recently.
Is it true that you can check bags all the way through from Sydney airport and not have to collect bags, to change to the next flight? also how much earlier than the flight do you have to arrive when travelling from Paris to Nice?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:19 PM

VAL People Mover connects the two far-removed terminals I believe. Free.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:20 PM

a recent thread here said the same thing - that Customs would be in Nice, not CDG so your bags should be checked thru if that is the case.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM

I don't think it's a new procedure, I did that many years ago (checked my bags through to some other destination in southern France when changing at CDG). I've done that several times over many years. Maybe this has something to do with what airline you are flying or if you are changing airlines or where you are coming from, don't know, but this isn't anything new.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

The new procedure lets you go straight through and not have to do customs until the end destination.
It was just posted in the Singapore air newsletter. But I guess the booking bags to go all the way through has been happening all the way through.
Just wondered how it happens when im on Singapore air then on to air France?
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Customs has always been where you pick up your bags (in this case Nice if your bags are through checked). You will still need to go through immigration on arrival at terminal 1, take the CDGVAL to terminal 2 and go through security check at 2F.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:41 AM

I too am facing the same dilemma and would like to know more. I'm taking Singapore Air into CDG terminal 1 ETA 7:20am, same as peterteresa. Connecting flight is in Terminal 2F for Toulouse via Air France at 9:35am. I know that Air France and Singapore Air are not under the same alliance group so I don't know whether they'll check the bags straight through..
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 03:37 AM

Just to add, the following is the Singapore Air newsletter that was mentioned by peterteresa:
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris has implemented changes for transfers between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (2A,2B,2C,2D,2E,2F,2G) at the restricted airside.

For internal transfers between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (2A,2B,2C,2D,2E,2F,2G) without clearing immigration, Aeroport De Paris (ADP) has informed airlines that passengers are required to go through common screening points, and must have a boarding pass for their connecting flight.

Passengers without boarding passes for connecting flights can perform an online check-in using PC workstations set up with attached printers, located before the security screening points. However, queues may be expected due to limited workstations available.

Alternatively, passengers with relevant/permitted travel documents may clear/exit immigration and transit between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (2A,2B,2C,2D,2E,2F,2G) using the free shuttle train (CDG-VAL) located in the public area."

--------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the question is what will happen to the checked-in bags if the airline from the point of origin does not check your bag all the way through to your final destination?
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:51 AM

If your bags aren't through checked, you'll have no choice but to go through immigration at terminal 1, pick up your bags, go through customs (pretty much a non-event) and take the CDGVAL to terminal 2. Airlines with interline agreements can check bags through whether they're part of the same alliance or not.

I'm not that familiar with terminal 1 so didn't know there was also an airside shuttle connecting terminals 1 and 2. However, that doesn't negate the fact that since your onward flight is within the Schengen region, you'll have to go through immigration at CDG as that's your first point of entry into the Schengen region. The part about avoiding immigration only refers to international to international connections.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:56 AM

Forgot to include "and recheck your bags with Air France at 2F" in the first sentence above.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:16 AM

Patty thanks for your input. Given the circumstances do you think that 2hrs 15m is enough time to catch the connecting flight in terminal 2F?

Will check with airline if they can check bags through.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:49 AM

Assuming your bags are checked through, I think that should be enough time. Since you have to go through immigration anyway, I'm not sure if the airside shuttle saves time as it doesn't operate as frequently http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/e...ection-flight/

Is this on one ticket? If separate tickets, I might not risk it.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 01:02 AM

I just checked with Singapore Airlines and they do not check baggages through for connecting flights on AF. Furthermore, it's on separate tickets. I guess it's better to err on the side of caution and take the later connecting flight.

What do I do with 5.5 hours layover in CDG????!
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM

"What do I do with 5.5 hours layover in CDG????!"

Suffer and be glad at least it is only purgatory !

- Kevin
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM

On the basis of TWO hellish experiences at C de G, I go through any contortions necessary, and take almost ANY airline, in order to avoid a transfer at that Outpost of Hell. At the very least I would allow 3 hours. The layout is wacky -- and the staff at Information booths etc are employed to mock you, not help you.