Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How do I convince my husband to see Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-i-convince-my-husband-to-see-rome-86100/)

Eve Sep 11th, 2000 07:39 AM

How do I convince my husband to see Rome

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to Italy next summer. My initial plan is to see Rome, Florence and Venice with a few quiet days in Tuscany... There is one problem though: for some inexplicable reason my husband does not want to spend any time in Rome. He thinks we don't have enough time, there is nothing interesting there to see, it is a big city so it will be exhausting, he is not interested in seeing the pope, etc. Any suggestions on how to change his mind?

Kavey Sep 11th, 2000 07:59 AM

I was also not interested in seeing the pope, and as a non religious person, had no religious agenda to my visit. <BR> <BR>However walking around a city which is studded with ruins thousands of years old, smack bang in the middle of more modern areas, is amazing. <BR> <BR>Sometimes you would turn a corner to see a "modern" building (last millenium!) which incorporated a wall from a much much older one. <BR> <BR>Walking through the piazzas and seeing the main architectural and historical sights is great fun. <BR> <BR>Maybe get him to watch Roman Holiday for a glimpse of some sights. <BR> <BR>Show him pictures and info in a good guidebook such as eyewitness which are great on graphics... <BR> <BR>If he doesnt think there is anything to see in Rome, how does he somehow think the other cities are different? <BR> <BR>Have a super trip! <BR> <BR>

Sherry Sep 11th, 2000 08:06 AM

Eve: let me know if you convince him because I just returned from Italy with my daughter and I loved it. My husband opted not to go with us. He and I have an opportunity to go back for a long weekend late Fall, but no go. So I have an even bigger problem than you do. He doesn't want to go to Italy no how, no way. So if you find a way to convince yours, maybe I can use the same tactics on mine. Good luck!

Paula Sep 11th, 2000 08:18 AM

Gee, there seems to be something about Rome that frightens or intimidates men who haven't been there. Probably the sense that the scale and congestion makes it difficult for them to remain in control! It's such an incredibly classic place, but . . . . they don't get it. My husband had the same reaction. <BR> <BR>Well, here's a possible strategy: rent one of those travel videos about Rome so they have a sense they've already been there or at least know what to expect. Make sure that he understands that Vatican City is just a small part of Rome and you don't actually have to go there -- even though St. Peter's is an amazing place, so incredibly huge. Never mind il Papa. <BR> <BR>Then emphasize the proximity of the colosseum and general ruins to the other "great architecture" (:-)) - Renaissance and Baroque -- and the absolutely lovely gardens (which are more peaceful than the insane traffic). <BR> <BR>If you think any one kind of building would appeal to him, get some literature or pictures of it (maybe on line) and really talk about how you want to see that ONE building -- or the ONE garden. <BR> <BR>Another ploy would be to beg for a day trip there from Pompeii or Naples or some other city not too far away (most people do it the other way around). That way he won't have to imagine contending with the congestion to check in and out of an overpriced hotel.

emily Sep 11th, 2000 08:24 AM

You need to find a person, preferably a male, whose opinions your husband admires. This individual will have had a wonderful trip to Rome and can give your husband his first hand experiences and share with him how much he loved the city. I believe that if anything will help your situation, the opinion of an unbiased experienced traveler will. Good luck!!!

Janey Sep 11th, 2000 08:29 AM

Cut him off and he'll agree!

Don Sep 11th, 2000 09:09 AM

Unreal-Rome is magnificent. Some of the best art and sculpture in Italy is at the newly restored Villa Borghese in rome. Much to see there-if you miss it, you'll miss a big part of Italy.

Don Sep 11th, 2000 09:11 AM

Oh- I meant to say ...and in the Vatican. We are not Catholic and cared nothing about seeing the Pope either but the art in the Vatican is unreal. Tell him to spend one less quiet day in Italy and see it all one time-he can spend a couple of quiet days at home!

joe cameron Sep 11th, 2000 10:42 AM

Eve, tell your husband that Rome is great fun, and easy to do. Plan to stay in the old part near Piazza Navona - check out Hotel Genio (nice, great big breakfast). Contact www.scalreale.com for pick-up at the airport, and walking tours. Pick out a few places to see - keep it easy and simple. Also, you'll see great (and very modestly priced) restaurants on ScaleRelae's site - we tried several this past March and they were great. I will tell you this - Rome is a far, far more interesting city than Florence. People may disagree, but Flroence, as good as it is, sometimes gets overblown. There's more to see in Rome, and it does not seem any bigger than Florence. Just remember to stay in the old part. You can easily skip the Vatican - it's just one site, and the Sisteen Chaple isn't that great anyway. Go for it!

Dawn Sep 11th, 2000 12:01 PM

I can't believe this thread! Thanks for posting it, because here I was thinking that MY husband was the only one who refused to go to Rome!!! What IS it about the place that scares off men? My husband traveled behind the Iron Curtain when it still existed and had no problems, but he won't even consider Rome. He's a history buff, yet he doesn't want to visit the ancient city which once ruled one of the great empires of antiquity. ?????? <BR> <BR>If anyone out there finds the solution to this Men-No-Wanna-Do-Rome thing, I'll be glad to read it.

richardab Sep 11th, 2000 12:06 PM

Watch the video "Roman Holiday" and visit my websight... <BR> <BR>The sight isn't completely finished but the Rome section is. <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>Follow the path; <BR> <BR>Enter&gt;Fly&gt;Europe&gt;Rome <BR> <BR>Let me know what you think. <BR> <BR>

lola Sep 11th, 2000 12:11 PM

Buy him an Eywitness guidebook (gorgeous maps and pix) and get some brochures from the tourist office. Circle the things that he might most enjoy. Or rent the videosd Roman Holiday or Three Coins in the Fountain or a more recent movie set there. The art and antiquity, the food, the beautiful women (and men, but you don't have to tell him) are thrilling. Last resort: let him return to the states from Rome and you remain there on your own for a couple of days. It's not really fair if he won't compromise, is it?

adina Sep 11th, 2000 12:14 PM

I can't quite believe I'm saying this but if you are going in the summer it can be so hot and dusty in Rome that you might find it really tiring. I loved visiting the Forum, seeing the Sistine Chapel, The Spanish Steps, and the Trevi Fountain lit up at night but I was too exhausted (I'm in my 20's, a doctoral student in history so you can see my shock in saying this) to do what I love to do-- just wander around, find interesting and pretty neighborhoods. I loved Venice and Florence and in the summer I would definitely skip Rome or spend no more than 2 days there and spend time in the country-- in Tuscany, in the Italian Alps, in the Cinque Terra. A few quiet days around a lake, in the mountains, or by the sea can be the best part of a vacation and the part where you really can get a feel for the place, the people, and the history-- history didn't just happen in big cities. Whatever you decide, have a great vacation.

Ed Sep 11th, 2000 12:21 PM

From a Rome Lover's point of view ... excellent! Let him miss Rome. Too danged many people there anyway, making it crowded for us Romaphiles! :-) <BR> <BR>If he's not interested, he's not interested, but it's not 'man' kind of thing ... just prejudice, and not all that unusual. <BR> <BR>Hard for a traveler to find a city more filled with riches in Europe than in Rome. <BR> <BR>A barebones introduction to some of the many things that might attract his attention at www.twenj.com/romevisit.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Thyra Sep 11th, 2000 12:23 PM

Wow, I feel really lucky, my husband had no problem going to Rome. I must say that it is a city that required more time then we had to give it, (THAT trip anyway) We missed so much and it was exhausting, but my hubby had no objections to going there. (we're not Catholic either) but I will admit that when I suggested we needed to go back to catch what we missed first time around, he didn't seem too thrilled with the idea. <BR>

Kavey Sep 11th, 2000 12:46 PM

<BR> <BR>Weird and wacky theory #1 <BR> <BR>Maybe is is worried about the reputation of the "romantic" Italian men, in Rome more than elsewhere, and fears you will be swept off your feet by an Italian cassanova... <BR> <BR>Weird and wacky theory #2 <BR> <BR>He has read too many mad gypsy threads and is convinced he will be thrown a plastic doll wrapped up as a baby, whilst being jostled by a big mama, and rammed by the kids until he gives up his Hershey bars and Mickey Mouse pen. <BR> <BR>Weird and wacky theory #3 <BR> <BR>He has heard that alien abductions are centred around the area of Rome and doesnt want to take any chances of a neural implant. <BR> <BR>OK I am getting desperate, I cant think of any true and meaningful reasons someone who is keen to visit Florence would be so reluctant to visit Rome. <BR> <BR>Eve, maybe you can sit him down, explain how Rome means a lot to you, and has long been somewhere you have wanted to see, and that you will spend two days doing something of his choice if he agrees to 2 days in Rome. <BR> <BR>Failing that, and my initial tips about the Roman Holiday film and Eyewitness guides (see my first post to you at the top) I cant think of anything else but to follow Lola's suggestion and stay on a couple extra days in Rome by yourself, though this isnt as good...

Sandi Sep 11th, 2000 02:10 PM

- <BR>I ADORE Rome and can't imagine why he's giving you this reaction - there is LOTS to see & do in Rome; and yes, it can be exhausting. <BR> <BR>BUT, given that you are going to Italy during the summer and Rome can be VERY hot & sticky during the summer, perhaps (and I can't believe I'm suggesting this) you should consider NOT going to Rome on this trip. For a 2 week trip you can focus on the northern regions of the country - maybe fly into Florence or Pisa, drive thru Tuscany region - then go to Venice - maybe a stop in Verona, or just head to Dolomites or Lake Region (Lake Como) and then fly back out of Milan. <BR> <BR>Let's face it Eve, if he begrudgingly goes along to visit Rome and DOESN'T have a wonderful time, then you'll be to blame - give a little this time, with the promise that he'll re-evaluate his position on the next go round. <BR> <BR>

em Sep 11th, 2000 04:37 PM

I have the same problem! I have been to Italy 3x but the only city my husband is interested in in Italy is Venice! <BR>He hates Florence & Rome! I have never been to either & am determined to see Rome soon. I think the idea of a trip to Pompeii is a good one, my husband almost <BR>agreed to that. He claims rome is dirty, noisy & polluted & doesnt compare to other places in Italy which is one of his favorite countries. Why not fly to Rmone yourself for a few days & let him join you later? MAybe that will motivate him!

dk Sep 11th, 2000 06:24 PM

I haven't been yet... but we are going this fall. I had the opposite problem - talking my husband OUT OF Pompeii because I thought it would waste time better spent in Rome. AND for a while I wasn't convinced I wanted to do the fast-paced Rome (straight to Tuscany to RELAX and also more time in Florence was my idea). But, when I started reading Eyewitness (great idea from the previous poster), I started getting excited. Besides, I told myself, after a few frantic Rome days, Tuscany will seem that more blissfully peaceful! <BR> <BR>Anyway, back to your problem. I think considering that it will be summer I would use a combined Eyewitness guide-movie rental, post-Rome-Tuscan-relaxation-factor approach and then, as a finale, the GELATO tactic!! Is he at all an ice cream lover? This would work like a charm on my husband. Heck, it would work on me!!

Dr. Fordor Sep 11th, 2000 07:28 PM

Eve? <BR>Are you looking for the equivalent of an apple to entice your husband to the pleasures of Rome? Now Eve! You have gotten all this great feedback (even from someone named DAWN) and certainly there is a theme brewing here that, plain and simple, would just take some simple talking out with your sweet husband. Rome in summer???...forgetaboutit!!! any other time of the year would probably be great. What is the quality of time that the two of you envision? Tuscany and all over Italy has everything Rome has, but in smaller, more digestible and more intriguing doses. You want an ampitheater- go to Verona. You want mystery- go to Venice. You want cuisine- find a great resturant off any beaten path. Now why is this an issue for the two of you and why do you want to take it public? I have to take his side for the moment... it is hot, crowded, I mean "really crowded," and if he's not into the pope and making a pilgrimage with a million other tourists, well.... maybe you should try looking at his side of the story. Maybe it's not such a great idea and there is a happy medium somewhere in the blend. I would suggest exploring the "happy medium" alternatives and report back from the Tree of Knowledge with any insights you may have gained. <BR> <BR>Blessings, <BR>Dr. Fordor