Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How do I choose? Paris brasseries/cafes.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-do-i-choose-paris-brasseries-cafes-67777/)

Betsy Apr 8th, 2000 09:29 AM

How do I choose? Paris brasseries/cafes....

Hi again! I haven't been back here in a while, since my trip to Paris last June, and I am planning another trip in September. I remember everyone being so helpful, and I hope you can help me again. <BR> <BR>I would love to go to a brasserie and/or cafe while in Paris, but I have read so many different things about the usuals: Bofinger, La Coupole (more of a cafe, I suppose, but....), etc... I love restaurants with atmosphere, but I value the quality of the food above all else. Which one(s) can you recommmend for a terrific combination of food and atmosphere? <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR>betsy

Joyce Apr 8th, 2000 09:46 AM

Les Messugues in the 17th was fabulous for our nephew's birthday dinner. The owner takes great pride in his food. You won't be disappointed here. When we went to Paris last month, we used Cheap Easts in Paris by Gustafson as our guide.

Betsy Apr 8th, 2000 11:17 AM

Thanks, Joyce! I will take that under consideration, but I am not sure I will be going out that far (to the 17th)....Still, I love good food, so maybe I might! <BR> <BR>betsy

Vincent Apr 10th, 2000 04:00 AM

Try Le Balzar on rue des Ecoles in the 5th (Left Bank intelligentsia), Terminus Nord opposite Gard du Nord (up-scale Eurostar or Thalys travelers), Julien, chez Flo, MArty on avenue des Gobelins iin the 5th (quieter than the rest), and for a real original - but very good, and nice - experience, Le Zephyr in the 20th.

elaine Apr 10th, 2000 04:20 AM

I second Vincent's recommendation of Le Balzar. Unfortunately not inexpensive, but very good food, very Parisian atmosphere, even with the occasional cranky waiter. Hardly any tourists <BR>(other than me!)when I've been there.d

TJ Apr 10th, 2000 06:00 AM

I'd go with La Coupole. The classic Parisian brasserie, in my opinion. Balzar as runner-up, but the waiters can be unfriendly, and it's being overrun by tourists.

Bev Apr 11th, 2000 03:25 AM

Had dinner at Le Balzar in November and enjoyed it. Very trendy now due to Michael Kors'endorsement in "In Style" Review! Ed Bradely of 60 minutes was there the night we were. My favorite little cafe is in the 7th..Auberge de Bressane-16 Rue Motte Piquet. Charming little place with the best food and prices. Try the chicken and morels...the best pommes frites and white asparagus...and be sure to order the chocolate soufflee. Have been 6 times in 2 years and can't wait to return.

francesca Apr 11th, 2000 04:28 AM

I would recommend using the Time Out guide vs Cheap Eats. This book is used by so many American visitors that you might find yourself running into them...Time Out is broader and more international in flavor. You can pick up their Restaurants guide (magazine format) once you're here in any news stand for around 30 FF.

greg Apr 11th, 2000 07:51 AM

We went to restaurants listed under Cheap Eats in Paris if we are neaby and if we can find the restaurant. But most of the time we used the general selection rule described in the book. That was to avoid places that were empty when it should be crowded or if most of the clients were tourists. In addition, we added few more rules; avoid restaurants mostly visited by students or by senior people only. <BR> <BR>We had never been disappointed eating at restaurants visited mostly by local business people, good value and good food.

Peggy Apr 11th, 2000 08:35 AM

Betsy: <BR> <BR>After living in Switzerland for two years, the best restaurants, cafes, bistros that we went to were those that were recommended by hotel staff or by just falling into them by accident. Make your own adventure - you can't go wrong.

betsy Apr 11th, 2000 04:39 PM

Thanks for your all your help; I appreciate it. Peggy, it's funny, but no matter how extensively I plan a trip, I am always deviating from my schedule.....lol... I will take your advice and be more spontaneous...it's worked in the past.... <BR> <BR>betsy

Nancy Apr 27th, 2000 11:44 AM

I love the Balzar too. I think it's the quintessential French brasserie (of the non-Alsatian type), with hurried waiters and a lively crowd of locals and some tourists. The food is exceptional, especially the model brasserie meal of onion soup, roast chicken, french fries and tarte tatin. You should have reservations though; it get very crowded at night.