Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do Bostonians Feel About Flying out of Logan?

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:41 PM
sally

I guess I always realized that the security seemed pretty lenient here at Logan compared to other airports I've been in but the past few days certainly make me realize how bad Logan security is. I am supposed to travel to Europe from Boston next week. I have read the other posts and for a variety of reasons feel that cancelling is the right decision for me. My question is whether others are nervous to travel out of Logan (whenever it reopens), or more aptly, whether others are more nervous to fly out of Logan than they are to fly out of anywhere else right now.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:08 PM
lucy

We are supposed to be leaving on an overseas flight 9/22 out of Logan. I am nervous, of course, but should we really succumb to these threats?

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Beth

My husband was taking my mom-in-law along on a business trip for her first trip to London & Paris. They were to leave Tuesday out of Logan. It's all cancelled now. Not so much because it's Logan, but because we're concerned if something else happens, they could get stuck in Europe for weeks.
The last time I went to London out of Logan, a stow-away was found on the plane once it landed. How do you smuggle in a whole person?!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Leslie

I will have absolutely no qualms flying out of Logan Airport. If anything, Boston will become as secure an airport as Heathrow or any airport in Israel.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Linda

My guess is that Logan is going to be one of the safest US airports for the foreseeable future. My experience is that when something happens, security tightens up tremendously at its site; that is, until complacency sets in again. And I don't thing that will happen in America any time really soon.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:23 PM
peter

we are flying out of logan on the 19th. the level of security should be at its best level in years. concerned-no. if your have traveled in europe or india or se asia then one realizes that a higher level os security only takes a little more time but is ultimately safer

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Deb

I am from Boston and fly virtually 52 weeks a year all over the US/Canada for my job. Boston is no worse than any of the other airports for security. I am scheduled to leave for Paris on Saturday out of Logan -- if I don't go it will be because there is no flight vs security.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Jackie

As a Bostonin, I think that once Logan reopens it will be as safe or safer than anyplace else to fly out of. In the short term, I'd be more concerned about the ability to fly back into it.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:56 PM
pat

I am flying in to Logan on the 20th and out again on the 28th. I am a little nervous, but figure it will be safer than it has been in years.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Donna

Last time we flew out of Logan, the United check-in clerk did not ask for ID, even though we had ours out in our hands, until we reminded her. I think we need to take responsibility here, too, though, and report incidents such as this to the appropriate authorities, who should all have web addresses and a form for doing so...

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 05:12 PM
robin-k

-
Flew in/out of Logan a couple weeks ago, visiting family in Boston. The level of security is no better or worse than other major airports in the United States, which of course means that it's fairly lacksadaisical & operated by workers with an exceptionally high rate of turnover.

Clearly, they will immediately be implementing major changes. However I don't know if an overnight ramp-up will be able to immediately elevate security level to that of what's in place in Israel or the British airports. It's an improvement & a move in right direction, but I'm in agreement with those who suggest we need to reinstitute the use of sky marshalls on planes.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Jackie

I posted earlier that that I thought that Boston was safe for travel. However, I just heard that there were 2 more incidents of possible terrorists trying to get on planes at LaGuardia and JFK. It will be a while before I choose to fly again.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Beantowner

FRIGHTENED!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Sue

The airports were not at fault, these terriorts didn't "sneak" on, they had tickets. They did not have guns or any weapons, per se. What happened was not due to a lack of security, it would have happened no matter what airport.