Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How difficult is it to take the train from Salzburg to Hallstatt?

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
cherylforeurope

Considering working Hallstatt into our itinerary before going to Vienna and would like to know how difficult it is to get there by train? Many thanks!

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM
cherylforeurope

I just looked at the Austrian Rail website and they showed a bus and train trip combined that takes about 2 hrs if I'm reading it correctly. Does this sound about right? Anyone know a websight in English for bus information? Thanks.

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheryl - the Austrian rail site should have an English option - on the main page, click on "internationl guests" link. Once you get the train/bus info, click on the link next to the train or bus number, and it will give you the bus schedule with all its stops.

We took a train from the Salzburg HBF to Hallstatt, at it took 2 hr 15 min. we changed trains in Attnang-Puchheim. The OBB site shows the train as taking longer than 2-1/4 hours, so maybe the route changed, but I'm pretty sure that's how long it took us a couple of years ago.

I think Hallstatt is a nice place and worth the train or bus ride to get there (if arriving by train, you have to take the shuttle boat across, very short ride).
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM

We took the train a few years ago-it was pretty much as Jolie descibes above. I highly recommend it- the train takes a scenic route through the mountains, and a ferry is timed with the arrival of the train. A wonderful way to arrive in Hallstatt. I think the German rail site: www.bahn.de is easier to use than the Austrian site.

~Liz
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM

As you saw on the Austria Rail site, the quickest route from Salzburg to Hallstatt is to take a bus from Salzburg to Bad Ischl, then train to Hallstatt. Taking the train all the way, changing at Attnang-Puchheim is only a few minutes longer, and much less hassle in my opinion.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM

Hi Cherylforeurope,

Definitly take the bus/train. I did this just last week and decided to take the bus from Salzburg to Hallstatt. It was so beautiful. Plus it is cheaper than doing the train to Attung Punchem (sp??), it will save about 20-30 euro and take the same amount of time. Here is what we did....

You will be taking Bus 150 to Bad Ischl Bahnhof (very last stop). This bus leaves from Mirabellplatz (easy to find on any Salzburg map). Confirm that the bus is going to Bad Ischl Bahnhof just to make sure. This will cost roughly 10 Euro. You buy the tickets on the bus from the driver.

Once you arrive in Bad Ischl and the bus driver says this is the last stop, the train station is right across the street. Enter there and ask the information booth when the next train to hallstatt is..i would estimate they leave every 20 minutes and costs about 5 euro. You can buy tickets from the information booth. The train probably takes about 20 minutes.

Both the bus and the short train ride are absolutly gorgeous. it takes you through so many beautiful small towns and the landscape is wonderful. We decided to take the bus/train at the last minute and i am so glad we did.

FYI-when you arrive in hallstatt, to open the train doors, there is a green and red button located about eye level next to the door. you push the green button to open the door. i couldn't find how to open the door and got pretty freaked out, but figured it out quickly when i decided to just hit any buttons i could find.

If you have any questions, just let me know. Hopefully this was clear.

Safe Travels!