Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How difficult is it to get a room in Italy?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:49 PM
sarah

We will be arriving in Rome on Sunday, for a two trip to Italy, so far all we have booked is a hotel for Rome. I was hoping we would be able to meander and discover nice places to sleep along the way. We are planning to be around Florence, Bologna, and Venice. How foolish is this?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:59 PM
xx

What month?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:03 PM
Very foolish

But stay with your plan. You can have everyone else's leftovers. Don't compete with us planners for the best places at the best prices.

E parla italiano bene, si?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:06 PM
Go for it

That's just not true. It's not foolish at all. I've done it and have NOT spent a ton of time looking for rooms, paid a lot extra, or gotten leftovers. Remember, the people on this board like to plan, plan, plan. You can meander just fine.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:15 PM
denise

I've done similar but ONLY in the off season. I wouldn't risk it if you're traveling during peak tourist time. You may find yourself way out in the boonies somewhere.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:21 PM
sue

Hi,
I did this last June and July and it was ifne. We had reservatiosn for the begining on the Amalfi coast, but we went through Tuscany and Umbria and found rooms easily and quickly. We stayed in Lucca and did a day trips. One day to Florence. I like Lucca better than Flornece and have been to Florence enough times that I did not feel a need to be there more than one or two days day. We stayed at a wonderful place in Chanti and took day trips to the villages around there, Siena etc. One night we were the only people in the villa. I would not count on Venice if you want to be near San Marco, but if you do not mind staying farther a field, go for it. I love the freedom and adventure, and I have not been disappointed.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:55 PM
Gee, and why

<<Remember, the people on this board like to plan, plan, plan>>

Because it adds enjoyment?

Because it saves money?

Because it reduces aggravation?

I forget in which order these are supposed to go.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:08 PM
xxxoooo

Anyone who goes at the last minute and says they aren't getting leftovers is being naive. Really good places are booked well in advance. It's that simple. If you aren't picky about where you stay and merely want a clean room (which is fine for some travelers) then you should have no problem. But if you have looked at pictures, websites, and guidebooks and drooled over some really neat places to stay -- forget about those at the last minute.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:44 PM
Tom

Amen.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:01 AM
Tina

If you're traveling during off-season, which really doesn't exist in Italy any more, then you can "wing it". The vast majority of posters on this forum (including yours truly) prefer to plan ahead and make reservations. I don't have much interest in wasting valuable time wandering around Florence or Venice trying to find a place to sleep. Yes, you can go to tourist office for suggestions and may luck out --- then again, you may end up paying alot more or staying in a less centrally located hotel.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:00 PM
Nancy

Dear Sarah,

Do not use this plan for Venice (unless you can spend $500.00/night).

We met a darling couple last year who were so disappointed that they could only spend the day there, because all the rooms in their price range were gone.

And I think Venice is a must!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:43 PM
zootsi

In the cities this could be frustrating. We tried this in Sienna, and spent half the night looking for a place. On the other hand, the Tuscan and Umbrian countryside seemed to have b&b's and rooms for rent nerly everywhere we drove. One of the best places we stayed was a little hotel in Montpulciano we just found by strolling down the street.