Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How did we get so lucky to have such a reasonable flight time out of Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-did-we-get-so-lucky-to-have-such-a-reasonable-flight-time-out-of-venice-671493/)

plafield Jan 18th, 2007 12:39 PM

How did we get so lucky to have such a reasonable flight time out of Venice?

So often when people are asking about the big 3 Italy itineraries, everyone on this board recommends flying into Venice and out of Rome because apparently all flights out of Venice are at the crack of dawn.

We're flying out of Venice, a direct flight on Delta to JFK and the flight leaves at 11:40 AM. We bought open jaw, direct, JFK to Rome, Venice to JFK for $820 RT May 12- May 26. Is this flight some bizarre lucky anomoly? How long does it take to get to the airport from Venice proper (we're staying at La Calcina)? I assumed not more than an hour.

Hoping that we did get an unusual flight time (as opposed to it actually takes 3 hours to get to the airport!) I'm so glad we found it because I love the idea of doing the frenetic intensity of Rome first (6 days,) followed by the busy but mellower atmoshphere of Florence (3 days)and ending with the relaxed, romantic wandering waterland of Venice (4 heavenly days!)And we'll be able to get up at a reasobable hour (7:30?) to get to the airport to catch our 11:30 AM flight. The hope is we'll get home without feeling like we need a vacation from our vacation.

Thanks so much to you all for the help planning this trip and the trip I took to Paris last spring with my 2 daughters. You guys give me the courage and the information I need to travel on my own in a country I've never been to before.
Italy is less than 4 months away and I can't wait! I'll be sure to post a report when we return.

rkkwan Jan 18th, 2007 01:00 PM

Because that's currently the only non-stop flight from VCE to the US. [USAirways will have one later, also with 11:30am departure.]

Otherwise, you need to connect via somewhere. Most flights from Europe to US departs in mid- to late-morning. With a connection, you need to leave VCE at around 7am or so.

Nothing special about VCE. It's true for basically any city in southern Europe if you need to connect somewhere in northern Europe.

annhig Jan 18th, 2007 01:04 PM

The airport bus takes less than 30 minutes to the bus station in Venice, and vice versa. Presumably you'll need to be there at least 3 hours in advance, so the 7.30 bus would be fine, IMO. you can find the timetables for the buses on the venice transport web-site - can't remember it off-hand, but there are loads of threads on this subject.

I'm sure you'll have a lovely and restful time,

best wishes, Ann

cmeyer54 Jan 18th, 2007 01:20 PM

We had a 6am out of VCE in August connecting in Frankfurt home. That was horrible!! This October, we found an 11:30am thru Philadelphia. We get home rather late, but at least we're not leaving so darn early!

randola Jan 18th, 2007 01:23 PM

we are flying from venice to munich to jfk....the venice segment leaves at 11:10...this is on july 18

Tim_and_Liz Jan 18th, 2007 01:47 PM

We are flying KLM to AMS then connecting to NWA. Our flight to AMS leaves at 12:05pm.

Do you think we should get there 2 hours early since it's an intra-Europe flight?

Tiff Jan 18th, 2007 01:59 PM

My advice?

Keep watching and often for status.

We had a flight out of Venice at that time and the flight got cancelled.

Not to say that will happen to your flight, but just the same, I would keep a watchful eye and have a back up plan.

As soon as my flight got cancelled, I called and Plan B fell into place. We even got to remain in Venice an extra day, dreadful, huh????

Have fun!

plafield Jan 18th, 2007 02:48 PM

Tiff, was your cancelled flight a Delta flight? And did they notify you about the cancellation? I keep reading about people whose flights got changed or canceled and they were never notified. I've been checking regularly just to make sure!