Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How crowded is the Louvre on Friday evenings?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to go to the Louvre on Friday, November 5th - it is open until 9:45, and I see that after 6pm admission is free for those under 26, and discounted for everyone else.

Can anyone tell me how crowded it might be on a Friday evening? It's always nice to know a bit about what to expect.

Thanks for your help ! ~ Jessica
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Hi Jessica-I have been once on a Friday evening and its was fine-not overly packed-it is such a big place there is generally plenty of space for all-I really like that time-there seem to be a lot of French art students then, etc.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:22 PM

It was very quiet the November evening we were there, my husband and I got lost and ended up being the only two people in one of the galleries
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:52 PM

crowded? in the evening I was able to have my photo taken with Mona Lisa. some galleries are sparsly lighted so you might find them spooky without the ususal tourist bustle, especially medieval louvre. try and read the Davinci Code before you go. Sam
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like we shouldn't have to contend with large crowds, based on others' evening experiences.

I believe that it is a fairly recent change for the Louvre to be open on Friday evenings (used to be Mondays and Wednesdays, I think.) I wonder if Friday evenings are more crowded than evenings earlier in the week. Has anyone been recently on a Friday evening?

Again, I am grateful for everyone's experience and expertise. ~ Jessica
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Just bumping this to the top, looking for any recent Friday evening experiences...
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I was there on Friday the 8th, but I didn't stay too late as I had been there since the mid-afternoon. The main thing to realize is that some sections of the museum close. They are listed on the Louvre website. So if there is something you particularly want to see, you may be disappointed. When I was there, say up to 7 or so, it was not crowded. Hope that helps a bit,
Mara
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:35 PM

i missed seeing napoleon's apartments at the louvre. heard they are unbelievable. make sure you see them, we tried and that part wound up being closed that day.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:25 AM

just an informational note, the late evenings are now both Fridays and Wednesdays

Louvre website for schedule of which galleries are open when

www.louvre.fr
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Hi jessw,
I was there on Friday September the 24th. I arrived at 16:30 and immediately went to the Objets d'art section, which was empty (and fantastic!). True, Napoleon's apartments are gorgeous, and they weren't that crowded. But there was so much to see other than that, even if some rooms were closed that day.
At about 19:00 I decided to try the Italian section, but it was so crowded, I went back to the much emptier Richelieu wing for some French 17th-18th century art, which I enjoyed very much (George de La Tour, Chardin and others).
Last year I spent some time visiting the Dutch and Flemish superb collection, also in the Richelieu wing. It was a Wednesday, around 20:00, and there weren't many people around, so it was very convenient.