Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How CND's in EU on tourist visa switch to lengthy work visas

How CND's in EU on tourist visa switch to lengthy work visas

Nov 19th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 256
How CND's in EU on tourist visa switch to lengthy work visas

How CND's in EU on tourist visa switch to lengthy work visas

If anyone here arrived in Europe (from North America) on a tourist visa, and successfully acquired a lengthy extended visa, allowing them to work in any European country, for any period, then please share your story, and experience here. Thank you.

My story:

I am in Europe on a tourist visa (expires Feb 1st, 2008), and I'd like to start working as soon as I have my legal EU papers. I'd like to stay, and teach in Europe for a period of 1-2 years (in different European countries, including the new ones). I am Canadian, and qualified, and experienced to teach English.

I realize working illegaly is possible in Spain, but 3 months in Europe just won't cut it. I need the freedom to be able to move around Europe. One month here, 2 months there, working and traveling my way across the continent.

I estimate it will take at least 2 years, so I need a visa, or renewable visa that'll last that long. I'm not sure what I'm eligible for? I will accept the best visa I can get. But what are my options? Student, work, business, ??? What's the difference? I've heard student visas allow part-time work. How long do these visas last, and do they apply for extended stay in all the Schengen countries?

A few notes to remember. I can't afford an expensive visa? I don't have international medical health insurance, only Canadian provincial health insurance. I, of course have access to a credit, and debit card, and don't mind taking a physical eximination (if it's neccesasry).
sandy456 is offline  
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,222
I'm not an expert, but I believe you would need to apply separately to each country you hope to work or study in.
Nonconformist is online now  
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,144
First: there is precisely one way of being able legally to work in more than one European country. And that's by getting citizenship of an EEA (=EU + Norway/Iceland/Lichtenstein) country or Switzerland.

Work permits to foreigners are granted by individual countries, and allow working only in the country concerned. Schengen is relevant only in that a non-European with a work permit can enter other Schengen countries more easily. But the foreigner may not work anywhere but the country that assigned the permit.

Second, work permits are not given to foreigners in the country concerned. Apart from a couple of special cases to do with asylum seekers or refugees, you must be outside the country (and that usually means at home) to get a work permit.

You entered whichever country you're in on the explicit understanding you wouldn't seek work.

You need to go home, understand the basis on which work permits are assigned (in a nutshell: only when an employer can demonstrate you've got skills that can't be found in the EEA AND that he's actively sought such skills among citizens of EEA countries or on internal transfers with an organisation) and then try to come here.

One possible exception in your case: if you've got a British grandparent, you can get a British ancestry visa which allows you to work in Britain, but nowhere else.

Otherwise, it's down to finding an ancestor who can get you citizenship of a country like Ireland or Italy.
flanneruk is offline  
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,881
You have 2 chances of getting a working visa - slim & none - UNLESS

a) you are under 30 or so & can qualify for a Working Holiday Visa (UK, Ireland & France offer these for Canuckstani's

b) You are so wonderful in your chosen line of work that people crawl over broken glass for your services

c) you have a British grandparent and can get an Ancestry visa. After 5 years or so you can then apply for citizenship

In all the above you are limited to working in one country

You could also marry a citizen of an EU country which will then automatically give you the right to live & work in any EU country EXCEPT the one your spouse is a citizen of in which case local law applies
alanRow is offline  
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,168
People with one Irish grandparent can also acquire an Irish (EU) passport.
Ackislander is offline  
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 256
ok, there is no way I'm going back to Canada to come back to Europe again (just for a work permit), and none of the above applies to me minus the working holiday visa.

i am already in spain, and need to know which european countries offer whv's to canadians already in europe?

i also need to know how long the whv's last? if they're accepetable for extended stay within shengen (i.e. longer than 90 days).

whv's seem the only real viable option
sandy456 is offline  
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:32 AM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 63,552
you are trying to get around the visa rules. Your best bet really IS to return home and then apply for a visa to the country(s) you want to visit.

janisj is offline  
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,298
I dont think you can apply for a work visa when you are here...I thnk you need to be in your home country...
jamikins is offline  
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,721
Here's the link to some official information regarding Working Holiday Visa for Canadian citizens 18-35yo who want to stay & work in Germany.

From a first glance I would say that this is also not something that you get done in a few days from abroad.

It sounds a bit like you made up a plan of how you want to spend your 2 years in Europe... free as the wind, going here, going there, working (legally) everywhere -- and now expect some visa regulation to hidden somewhere to fit that plan. I doubt that this will be the case.
Cowboy1968 is offline  
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,721
And this is the link I forgot to post:

Cowboy1968 is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 256
I just want to stay in Europe for longer than 90 days. Whether I am legally entitled to work or not isn't as important as being permitted to stay.

If I get a German whv (that lasts a year), I can use Germany has a base to travel around Europe in that year.

By the way, I don't have international medical travel insurance, nor do I ever purchase return tickets (or show proof of onwards travel). I hope things like that don't interfere in acquiring a whv.

Is Germany the only country offering Canadians in Europe a WHV?

sandy456 is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,322
Quite a few, according to http://www.anyworkanywhere.com/whvcacit.html
France, Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria (graduates only), UK, Ireland; Belgium (in the pipeline).
Alec is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,702
As well as trying to get around visa rules, what's happening with your provincial health insurance, which is usually only good if you spend 6 months a year in your home province?

Doesn't sound like that fits with a long stay visa
Carlux is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,759
Okay, I am going to admit right now that my info is four years out-of-date, and applies specifically to Italy and things change, but I do see a kind of Catch 22 problem looming here.

To get a long term work permit/Visa to Italy, we had to present proof of international medical insurance coverage at the Italian Consulate. To apply for that coverage, we had to have proof of OHIP (or other provincial coverage).

I don't know how you do this from outside the country. But maybe its just me? or maybe the rules for Germany are different?

LJ is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,721
It's quite similar for Germany:

Having a return ticket is mandatory.
Having full medical and liability insurance is mandatory.
Proof of sufficient funds is mandatory if you cannot proof that you have already a job contract.

If you meet those visa requirements, you get a WHV -- prior to your departure to Germany, NOT in the country. The WHV is your residence permit.
Without a residence permit you cannot rent a place to stay.
Without a place to stay you cannot register a domicile with the city/county.
Without that registration you cannot open a bank account.
Without a (German) bank account you cannot collect your pay for work, as no employer (except for illegal workers) forks over your salary in cash these days, and paychecks are gone since the 1960s.
Cowboy1968 is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,492
arenīt these things ever looked into before the fact?
lincasanova is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,863

You asked a similar question back on 21 October, before you left for Europe. I'm not sure why you continue to bang the drum for visa information, since you don't seem interested in listening to what people have told you already.

There are no magic wands to convert tourist visas into long-stay visas. Good luck saying you want to stay longer not to work necessarily, just to look around. Immigration on both sides of the Atlantic have heard it all before.

People have stayed longer illegally who don't qualify for other types of visas. Whether you want to chance getting caught is up to you.

Sue_xx_yy is offline  
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 63,552
as Sue_xx_yy says - you posted a question before you left for Europe. You wanted to travel around the continent for 2 years. Nearly 40 posts on that thread explained it isn't legally possible.

Now you are over there and are STILL looking for a way to get around your immigration problems. You should have figured out what to do before you left home . . . . . .
janisj is offline  
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 256
This is what I'm going to do:

Stay in Schengen Europe for 90 days, and exit to non-Shengen Europe or nearby for 90 days (places like Turkey, North Africa, former Yugoslavia (plus Bulgaria, and Romania, Ukraine, Moldovia, Belarus, Russia, and UK/Ireland, even the MIddle East during Europe's winters).

In the end, maybe after 2, 3 years I will have seen enough of Eurasia (Shengen, and non-Shengen alike) and move on to Asia.

90 day in, 90 out. Over, and over again. No return ticket, no trips back to Canada, no health insurance, no rental agreements (because I couchsurf), and certainly no bank accounts (and let's forget about working for now, hehe).

Getting caught seems unlikely if all I'm doing is spending 90 days in Shengen, 90 out? That's what they want, isn't it? I'm just following what they expect of a tourist? The only difference is, I'm not a tourist, rather a world traveler who wants to see, and do everything Europe has to offer (or at least the best of).

And, I have considered the posts here invaluable. Thanks.

sandy456 is offline  
Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,351
Remember that the Schengen zone expands this month to include nearly all the new EU members.
What will you do if you get ill? Rely on the taxpayers of the country you are in to bail you out??? Is that fair? What if you get ill whilst in N Africa or Russia - for which you need a visa btw? Do you think really they will pay for your health care?

hetismij is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:45 AM.