Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How can you afford to Travel with an average income?

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:23 AM
jetset

Hi:
Just want to keep this thread going. Want to hear your thoughts/experience on how do you manage to afford travel - like once a year or twice a year with having a minimum income. Like in my case I penny pinched all year round, very seldom eat in a restaurant and my husband and I don't exchange gifts as we put the money away for vacation instead. We don't drive fancy cars, we have two teenagers who we take each year for vacation but two years from now one will be going to college and with this we might not be able to afford travel anymore. What did you do or how did you manage to continue traveling in an average income? Please share your thoughts.... Thank you.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:34 AM
orgy7

basically when I'm in my place of residence I go into a coma. I do nothing, spend verry litle and work.. I start too awake once I go "home" which is any where thats not here..

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:36 AM
wondering

what is an "average" income?

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Enjoying freedom

Well, I am in my early 60s; didn't travel for years but now kids are grown and gone; husband is now an ex. I do not live in the "in" neighborhood and have no mortgage. I do not eat out regularly, nor do I spend a fortune on clothing. Just bought a new car after 14 years. My trips are in 2 star hotels, airfare is the biggest expense, no dinners over $30-40, lunches on the fly so to speak, and focus on the beauty of the area available to anyone who can get there (mostly free). I do a lot of research so as to milk the most out of any trip.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:41 AM
doc

travel off-season. I rarely go on vacation just for the weather anyway. I think europe is a great bargain off-season. Less crowds,cheaper hotels,low airfares.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:42 AM
cd

jetset
You already know how to budget for/on vacation so this may not be news but we have found one of the best vacations for a family is at a beach house directly on the beach. You can do your own cooking which saves many $$$$$.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:47 AM
hardwork

I teach part-time twice a week (college) and with the extra money we enjoy two 12 day vacations in Europe per year. Average is in the eye of the beholder. I made $104,000 last year and still have to work the extra to enjoy average vacations.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Greg

Simple, sacrifice. I go to Europe once a year on $40,000 salary. I go to Eastern Europe alot, I love it. I stay in budget hotels, the last one cost me $14 a night, I take the bus, I eat cheap, I go in the off season, etc. But I go. The last trip to Poland I had my friend with me and I pretty much paid for her too (except airfare) We spent 4 days in zakopane and then took the train across country to tczew. I spent $450 on the two of us, train, hotel, food and souveniers...
Its all mind over matter, if you dont mind, it dont matter.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:55 AM
x

gee, hardwork, do hope most of the 104k comes from other than partime at a college - yikes, i can just see my son's tuition rising to help you get to europe.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:59 AM
nomoney

We manage to get away twice a year, with pension inome of less than 40K Canadian, we don't travel to Western Europe or stay at 4* hotels.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Marilyn

I save during the year and usually get to take 2 vacations--one for about 2 weeks and one for 1 week. We live in an area that is not expensive, is a small town, and doesn't have a lot of things that compete for our money. M.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Jen

What's an average income? What'san average trip? My kids and I live on well under $50K per year, so if our income was $104K, we'd have an extra $54K+ for travel!!

As others have said, economizing both during trips and while at home can help save up for trips. But the basic strategy is living below your income -- If you have an income of $50K and spend $45, then you'll have $5K leftover for your trip, it's as simple as that!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Travelista

Hi Jetset:
I travel about three times per year for a week to 12 days each time. I keep an eye out for seat sales, book early, am flexible about the destination, and bargain hunt the hotels. I do splurge on good food and a few items to bring back home. I also try to add-on a holiday after a business trip where a portion is a write off tax wise, the other is pure pleasure. I have my own home, two cars, and a commission income which from year to year can range widely, but I manage to travel within reason on Canadian dollars, no less.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Carolyn

My Husband & I try to get away on a "Big" trip every year and 2-3 small trips inbetween. We cut down on going out for dinners (Breakfast meals are cheaper - so our "dates" are for breakfast!), find inexpensive entertainment (local events, festivals,...)and sock away all extra $$'s into a vacation fund at the bank (direct deposits help - if you don't see it, you won't spend it!) We usually go in the off or shoulder seasons, find small local places to eat, 2 star hotels or B&B's and use package deals thru AAA or entertainment books. I do alot of research on each area we plan on going to so that I can find the out of the way & different places that make our trip memorable.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:19 AM
wondering

i still want to know what is "Average"???

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Bill

You can afford to travel or almost any other thing you want to do by following just one simple little principle: spend less than you make on everything else.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Sarah

Hello just hopped off the travel addiction thread. Jetset are you going to want to go away when your kids are at college? Won’t your travel time then be made at local spots you can spend time at with the kids? That is a tough one, I can say oh yeah I stayed in youth hostels, plan to do this again as long as they admit 40 year olds should I get laid off. But to tell you this when you have this College commitment coming up is unrealistic. HEY DO IT RIGHT AND THOSE KIDS WILL BE TREATING YOU TO VACATIONS IN THE FUTURE! I do have friends who’s along with their kids do not have much in the way of spending. They find budget accommodations and the kids pay their own way on trips. They work during the school year, I know not for everyone. They have been to Indonesia, Ireland and this summer Canada. They camp, hostel and stay in budget budget hotels. There is a way but it seems you have to factor in much more than money I am afraid.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:46 AM
monica

I do not have any problems travelling once every one to two years depending on where I want to go. For me, half the fun of travelling is the planning and if you plan well, you will save BIG BUCKS!! I am a teacher and make a modest income but I save money by going out for drinks and appetizers instead of huge dinners and by tutoring. If you really want to do something in life you will make it happen!!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:48 AM
x

or just get an entree instead of the drink,dessert, appitizer. That works for me

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Selena

I make $13.00 per hour. I work a 40 hour week. When we are going to Europe on vacation I have found that if I save $300 per month for 10 months then I can afford to go. I budget myself and limit my spending during those 10 months. It is relatively easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -