Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How can we book our own tours on Mediterranean cruise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-can-we-book-our-own-tours-on-mediterranean-cruise-686569/)

Pasta Mar 10th, 2007 05:01 AM

How can we book our own tours on Mediterranean cruise?

Going on a Holland America Meditteranean cruise and ship sponsored tours seem very expensive. Would appreciate advice of alternatives. Is a tour necessary or has anyone used private booking at the following ports: Dubrovnik, Santorini, Rhodes, Ephesus, Athens and Olympia? Specific names and contact would be most helpful. Thanks!

tropicalkerry Mar 10th, 2007 05:13 AM

We ar on a Med cruise this fall, mostly Italian ports, but Dubrovnik also. I have done lots of research, and Dubrovnik is one port I have decided NOT to do a tour on. It seems it a a walled city, and walking the wall sounds very intesesting. Google Dubrovnik and you will find sites to read about doing this.

simpsonc510 Mar 10th, 2007 05:26 AM

If you've not yet checked out the cruisecritic.com site, then I strongly suggest you go there and read. You will very likely find answers to your questions, and might even hook up with other people on your same cruise. Cruisecritic deals only with cruises and is a very thorough site, filled with information and personal stories.

You can just "read" or you can create a log-on name and join in the chatting.

Rhea58 Mar 10th, 2007 06:18 AM

tropicalkerry, you will be wise to
go as early as possible on your own
as the walled city is jammed by 11a.m.
w/all the tours. the walled city is
gratis but pay a few kuna to walk atop
the walls so that you may have an overview. Also, visit the original
still-operative pharmacy which is
fascinating.

tropicalkerry Mar 10th, 2007 10:27 AM

thanks Rhea, for the advice. We don't get into Dubrovnik till 1PM, so plan to do the walls later in the day,like maybe 4 PM, when hopefully the crowds are gone, and not as hot. I have also read theat photos taken from atop the wall are better in early AM or later in day.Will look for the pharmacy. Thanks!

Debs Mar 10th, 2007 10:44 AM

Pasta-Just to expand a bit on what Rhea58 said about the Dubrovnik's wall walk - it only costs a few kuna to gain access, but you must pay in kuna (Croatian currency). NO other currency is accepted. We visited last year and saw so many people turned away because they didn't have kuna's. It will be money well spent!! ENJOY!

Love your screen name by the way!

Patricia_L Mar 30th, 2007 07:18 AM

For Santorini you can contact Dimitri at: [email protected] he runs a tour company in the island.

Pasta Apr 5th, 2007 06:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, especially on Dubrovnik and Santorini. Have booked tour for Ephesus but looking for ideas and thoughts re Athens and Olympia. Also, any "not to be missed" eating/dining experiences in Venice?
Pasta