How can I send francs to a French hotel?

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:17 PM
casey

How can I send francs to a French hotel?

I have made reservations at a small French hotel. They don't take credit cards as reservation guarantees and have requested that I send a deposit in French francs. Does anyone have an idea how I can go about doing that from the United States?

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:48 PM
howard

simple go to a travel agent they can deal with companies who specialize in just this transaction type. you give them dollars and they send idt in franks

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Lesli

If you live/work in a city which has a currency exchange, you can have them draw a check for you in FF (you pay in US$ the exchange rate, plus a fee.) I would then send it to the hotel by some method you can track - Fed Ex, registered mail, etc.

Did this once for a hotel in Rome a few years back, and decided from my personal perspective that the extra hassle and expense of sending them the check offset the low rate and good location. So if an angency will handle it for you, perhaps that is an easier way to go.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:38 PM
lynn

Hi Casey:
I take it you are in the US by your email address but I imagine you can do the same as I just did this week from Canada. I went in to my bank and they made up a "worldwide draft" which is valid in whichever currency they put on it. You need the address of the hotel which the bank will record on all the copies. You get two copies, the top copy is the one you send to the hotel and you get one to keep in case of something. I sent mine along with a letter confirming date of check in and out, rate quoted, what is included (e.g. breakfast, taxes etc) our name, address, phone number., email and fax then mailed it registered so it could be traced.
Simple. The draft didn't cost me anything because it's one of the covered things in my bank fees, the registered letter wasn't cheap ([email protected]) but worth it for the great looking B& B we booked.
Good luck.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Gina

I had an interesting experience with this last month. I'm going to Paris in April and our hotel, the Henri IV on Ile de la Cite, asks for a first night's deposit in francs. Last time I went I sent them an American Express traveler's check. When I went to pick up the TC this time, AmEx's main DC travel office informed me that they no longer issue traveler's checks in French francs; for the past few months, they've switched to Euros. (I was in a bit of a hurry so didn't have time to inquire as to whether this policy extends to all countries with Euro-pegged currencies.)

Has anyone else encountered this? I went ahead and sent the traveler's check in the appropriate amount of Euros, but it seemed odd to me since the Euro still isn't an active-circulation currency yet.

(Another interesting note: AmEx would not accept my American Express card as payment for that traveler's check!)