Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How can I get English language on Wanadoo web site (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-can-i-get-english-language-on-wanadoo-web-site-192543/)

Tom Apr 5th, 2002 08:14 AM

How can I get English language on Wanadoo web site

I've tried to look up several hotels on the Wanadoo web site but I never can get it in English. I don't see anything to chose to get this. My knowledge of French is not good enough to read all of this in French.<BR><BR>Has anyone had any luck here getting this in English. <BR><BR>Thanks, Tom

europeanwoman Apr 5th, 2002 09:32 AM

Wanadoo is -- at least to my knowledge -- the largest internet provider in France and mainly for French people. I happen to go there quite often.<BR>It's also a very large search machine, again for French, so why should it be in English. Once, you've done your search, click the pages that show and some of them, especially for hotels and touristy areas, will offer an English site.<BR>Tom: Just one question, when I use an English/American search engine, it's in English, isnt't? So?

Christina Apr 5th, 2002 10:00 AM

I don't understand what section of Wanadoo you are referring to, but it is only a French site, the same way Google is in English, etc. There are Wanadoo sites in other countries (as Yahoo has, also), but then the portal is completely different and is for that country in terms of content. Freeserve is a Wanadoo company in the UK so is in English, but the site is then about England, not France. I don't know what section on Wanadoo you are looking at as I couldn't see one on hotels, perhaps you have found a hotel with a website on that ISP? I think they give users personal website spaces, like many ISPs do, so a hotel could have their own page on Wanadoo. If so, it's constructed the way the hotel wants and may not have an English site if they don't expect a lot of English-speaking viewers. Many French hotels have wanadoo email addresses, for example. Lycos and Yahoo have both French and English sites, as I use them, but they are different content. Perhaps I have missed some hotel section on Wanadoo's front page, but if you are going to www.wanadoo.fr, I think you are out of luck.

Elizabeth Apr 5th, 2002 12:10 PM

Just to let everyone know who might be interested, the search engine Google at www.google.ca......is a site available in English and French being that Canada is a bilingual country.

dfc Apr 5th, 2002 03:59 PM

I have never been on Wanadoo before I read this message. I typed in www.wanadoo.com. At the intro page I clicked on "Passer l'introduction" which sounded to me like "Skip the intro". On the next page, at the bottom, it has a series of selections, one of which is "English". I clicked on that and got a page in English. Since I did not search the entire web site, I don't now if you can get to the hotels in English but they definitely have an English section. (I also found while composing this message, that if you let the intro run through instead of clicking on passer, little British and French flags appear at the top of the page and if you click on the British flag, it also takes you to the English page.)<BR><BR>Thanks for telling me about Wanadoo. I've now book-marked it and plan to review it (in English) to see what else I can learn.